Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Mechanical TDI Caddy on the road..little problems....  (Read 28275 times)

Reply #30February 03, 2006, 08:54:48 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

Mechanical TDI Caddy on the road..little problems....
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2006, 08:54:48 am »
cool you could always doe a sleeper muffler ie cut it an dweld in solid straight pipe thru it hehe...

Reply #31February 09, 2006, 12:12:08 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2006, 12:12:08 pm »
..i have some injection pump pulley problems..the part # from joes post  is just the outer injection pump pulley.. ie no hub or woodruff key part to bolt the pulley onto the pump.....argh  I was under the impression that teh impex part was a one piece pulley with a woodruff key slot to fit the 12mm big shaft injection pump..not a 2 piece mk4 style outer pulley only... since i already had a mk4 style here no reson to get another one...so now i'm gonna need to machine the tdi woodruff keyless hub for awoodruff key to use this pully on my pump..so basically starting over from scratch again..had to wait twosweks for impex to send me the wrong part. ..so i have a $50 paper weight here.. joe did your pulley from impex come with the hub?..when i called them ...they only show the pulley and a woodruff key as available..argh...?
any ideas? im gonna drive over to my machinist and see what he will charge me......
thanks
Deo

Reply #32February 09, 2006, 12:22:59 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2006, 12:22:59 pm »
Deo,

The pulley I got wasn't from Impex.. I got it from a TDI pump, the hub only comes with the pumps themselves from bosch and is probably harder to find. The p/n I gave you was what I had listed for the AAZ style pulley. Mine didn't come with a hub either, I sourced it from a TDI core pump that I had here from an MKIV.
From earlier in this thread...

Here is what I pull up from ETKA on the AAZ injection pump pulley...
028 130 111F

I advised to call Impex on that P/N just to be sure of what you were getting but the AAZ pulley also attaches to the pump via a hub just like the MKIV one does... otherwise...there wouldn't be anyway for it to be adjustable. Only nice thing about it would be is that it wouldn't have to be machined on the one side like I had to on my MKIV unit. You turn the adjustable AAZ unit backwards on the hub and it lines right up.  Try to call dieselgeek (www.dieselgeek.com) to see if they have a hub  they'd part with or even try Kerma...he might have an non-rebuildable pump core he'd sell it off of.
The hub should work just the same and non of the hubs for the adjustable pulleys have woodruffs cut in them....they are a tight "press fit" on the shaft... the AAZ pumps with the adjustable hubs were the same way. Thus the reason why when talking on TDIclub, etc. regarding injection pump overhaul, etc. VW notes that if the hub is removed the pump must be reindexed to the hub in order to set timing correctly. Now...there are several marks that you can use for reference on the TDI pump hub and the woodruff spot on the shaft will help align for initial injection pump timing anyways which is how I plan to setup mine up, etc. for timing reference and then checking against the gauge...
Is the pulley you got from impex the exact same as the MKIV one? And if you get into a bind not wanting the pulley I have someone that may be interested in it.  Karls setup (initially tested my 4bt pump on his Synchro Westy application) is running fine and he didn't have it cut for a key. Just have to tighten it good onto the shaft. and aligned the initial timing marks relative to the pump shaft-hub as well as hub-injection pump sprocket against an older TDI or even 1.6 diesel style sprocket.  

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #33February 09, 2006, 03:24:57 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2006, 03:24:57 pm »
well i have a hub from A TDI pump ..i am having a woodruff key way cut in it by my machinist..so i don't have to worry about it ..the sprocket i ordered isn't the mk4  hump back, its like you said a hollowed out adjustable outer pulley..my  misunderstanding was that the aaz 1.9 idi has a woodruff key hub and outer pully togther for that part # or that it was a 1 piece non adjustable pulley like a older idi..either way.. now its in my machinists hads..ha 2 -3 weeks i hope to have it back..i also have him making a gasser to diesl cam adapter and hopefully he will have my psitons machines then too i am having the valve reliefs deeper by 2.6mm and the middle bowl lip bored out like yours or kerma's.. teh i want o get em coated and have a set of factory rings modified by total seal..get my polished rods shot peened and balance the engine... i got my quaife yesterday too so i have abuddie coming up to help me install it in amy 7a box ..i also am swapping the ring and pinion for a 3:67 and want to instal the stiffer preload cv cup spring set..need a big 'ol clutch too and my intercooler modified..i hope to have the new engine in for waterfest... twins and mods....
thanks i will post pics when the parts return...on another note .. how much inand out shaft play do you have on your pump?...i have about 1/8 inch in and out play no preload..the tdi pump i have here has the sam  play..buta vw idi pump has the same play but it is sprung ie it springs back when pushed in...how is yours and what is normal?...
thanks
Deo

Reply #34February 09, 2006, 09:30:42 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2006, 09:30:42 pm »
Damn... so you got all this together and are ripping it all apart again and rebuilding again? Or is this another motor?

Sorry on the pump pulley, i thought pump sprocket would specify  the "sprocket" only from my description and as I mentioned before it couldn't be an adjustable unit if it didn't have the hub to "turn" on. Thought I had made it clear enough.

Anyways... sounds like you've got alot on the plate. Alot of the things I've already done some that I didn't find very cost effective for their yield power wise like polishing the rods and shot peening... besides, the lower end compenents were amazingly balanced from the factory I was very happy to find.
You going to rework the head to if your doing deeper valve reliefs? TDI RS did it on his initial engine because of the 2.5 TDI van pistons but really your just increasing dead space in between the piston and the head if you go with the larger reliefs yet the same size valves...
Sounds good on the tranny. LSD isn't in my budget this year but I do have the 2y 16v tranny here with the 3.67 in it that I may couple with the diesel gearset to get a nice tranny out of. Might be able to do a bolt kit with 80% but next winter will be the big tranny project with a Peloquin on the way. I can't bring myself to go cable shift. I didn't like the feeling of it in my Lsyholm Corrado I had, nor the various other cable shift VW's I've felt. I like the positive contact of the 020 and will stay with that and hopefully be able to reinforce things enough to hold the power. Alot of it comes down to driving as well. I'm going to take the Mr. Dave approach this summer and take it easy as most the time will be break in on the complete new motor anyways.

I'll check my pump shaft play... I believe its in the same area as yours though, I wrote it down initially when I started doing the gov. swap and projections for the mechanical pump when I got it here to the house. I have it written down and will take a look and let you know.

You have some pics of the AAZ sprocket? It'd be neat to see some of what the impex part looks like. Only thing I didn't like about the AAZ unit initially was it looked "weaker" than that of the MKIV style... Still should be plenty tough for our needs. I got my MKIV unit done for next to nothing so I couldn't go wrong...otherwise, i would have been the path too. A pic or two would be cool though!

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #35February 10, 2006, 07:20:06 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2006, 07:20:06 am »
this is another engine I'm playing with..the valve reliefs are for a bigger cam...it should be cool might not run as well as I hope but if not I'll stuff the g grind in there its a compromise and that worked as Simon used it.......the quaife was a deal I did almost 3 years ago. I got it used and it was a very very good price..my friend just finally shipped it to me though ha..so now it actually have it in my possession. I love the feel of the 7a trans .. like blake's old td jetta had it and that thing pulled to past 110 plus on the speedo.... it pulls and feels fast plus if I put a 367 ring pinion in there it should be even better......any how...im waiting for the machinist to do the injection pump pulley so it will be about 2 weeks plus..argh..i guess its more time to do the suspension and the radio  other doo dads on the pickup...argh..ha...
i definately need to boorow my dads digital camera or buy one with my tax $ ha as the old beater camera i have keeps crapping out i went to use it yesterday and nothing i have stuff im selling that i need to post pics of so need to use one asap..then i'll post the aaz pulley for ya . What delivery valves are you using?.. long or short ones?...
..thanks
deo

Reply #36February 10, 2006, 01:01:50 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2006, 01:01:50 pm »
hmmi dont think im having any of those pumpproblems,,  it seems torun good,,,dude at work followed me,,said it smoked a lil off the line,but when spooled up it was clean,,im using the old delivery valves,,,ridin on the hiway,i nailed it at 75,,,before iknew it iwas at 90 like that!!!! i was gonna bury it,,but i was more scared of cops than blowing it up,,usually im most of my cars,when passing someone,,,like we are doin 60,, i pull out to pass,nail it to front of passed car,id be doin about 75,,or gain like 15mph in a pass,,,now its like 20 25 mph more,,wow awesome,,im sick as a dog,  ,but maybe ill drive it over to get my filters im itching to drive it:oops:
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #37February 10, 2006, 06:44:01 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2006, 06:44:01 pm »
Quote from: "hillfolk'r"
hmmi dont think im having any of those pumpproblems,,  it seems torun good,,,dude at work followed me,,said it smoked a lil off the line,but when spooled up it was clean,,im using the old delivery valves,,,ridin on the hiway,i nailed it at 75,,,before iknew it iwas at 90 like that!!!! i was gonna bury it,,but i was more scared of cops than blowing it up,,usually im most of my cars,when passing someone,,,like we are doin 60,, i pull out to pass,nail it to front of passed car,id be doin about 75,,or gain like 15mph in a pass,,,now its like 20 25 mph more,,wow awesome,,im sick as a dog,  ,but maybe ill drive it over to get my filters im itching to drive it:oops:

Think your not having pump pulley problems because we're running the 4bt pumps that use the larger pump shaft. They require a larger pulley as well and specifically the TDI style injection pump "hub" and then the adjustable sprocket for the injection pump after that. In Deo's case...the AAZ unit turned backwards.... in my, a modified MKIV style unit turned backwards on the hub. You did all the old IDI parts...made it easier :) But i think we're going to enjoy the tunability and ease of it with the adjustable pump sprocket ... and I especially the auto adjust for the TDI belt tensioner and the extra security the deflection pulley and tensioner provide from the original setup. Not to mention as well... 90amps and NO more v-belts... :) Clean...

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #38February 11, 2006, 12:42:17 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2006, 12:42:17 am »
yea i know allthat,,but the running problems deo was having,,,,something is jacked internally inhis pump,,,,just sayin mine seems ok,,although im thinkin bout shimming the intermediate spring,,ive got my timing set around .95 or so,,im thinkinbout advancing it some,maybe 1.00-1.05 or so??,when its cold,you cant see exhaust smoke but it burns your eyes,acts like slow timing,,,,hey i got a 90amp    i found in the garage,,it fits the mount great,, pulleys line up too,,,justdont like that it weighs more and has a nasty cast (heavy)pulleyon it,,and the rotor is heavier than a 65 amp,,more stuff to spin up,,,but ireally dont have much more than lights+a crappy radio that icant hear at full chat,,,,anyone know if one of those autozone dumps can"test" it(myspare 90amp)before i bother to cut my wiring tofit it in???????,,,ipulled the brushes,they looked ok,,,noshorts/opens in rotor,,i guess as long as diodes+stator is ok,,but id rather get it checked before i put it on,,,,,,i guess the 90ampwould be niceif i decide to use the glow plugs inthe water outlet,for extra heat,,,
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #39February 11, 2006, 06:42:51 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2006, 06:42:51 am »
sound good.. i would use that 90amp one blake..as for your fuel..remeber my golf tdi with those injectors in it..it smoked liek a freight train..with 20-25 psi..it seems like you could get a lot more fuel from yours ..you mentioned 20-25psi and clean exhaust..that way ..it should pull twice as much as my 2001 golf tdi did..because your car weighes half as much as the golf did..and the golf was fast..with my pump heck my idi td smoked it..ands the golf would have ate it alive...i hope with this new pump it works well..i may have a canadian helper  help me with the hub machining and the stuff..debating if i shouold retrieve my hub from moro or if i should try to order anew one from bosch...and sent it to canada?

later
Deo

Reply #40February 11, 2006, 10:46:35 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2006, 10:46:35 am »
Deo, something as easy as a keyway? Why not save yourself the $$$, etc. and keep/modify what you have. Also, when we were pricing individual parts through bosch for gov. swaps on the 4bt pumps (had thought about doing them on a regular basis to sell to mTDI peoples...but I don't have that much extra cash just laying around to buy them up) we were looking at 200+ just for gov. throttle shafts, spring assemblies, etc. It was getting pricey. Never did even find a Bosch P/N for the hub. It might be something that a  Bosch shop that has ESItronic could look up and find...not sure though.

As for the alternator setup. Def. going with the 90amp...just to have it there. I'm not going to be running a huge stereo or anything. I found myself hardly using mine the last time around. However, there will be something there as well as extra draw from the AWIC pump and a few other auxilaries I'm going to add to. Plus, I just like the clean easy of the serp belt setup. Not going to worry about a 1hp draw or so...plus, no ps or ac, so it shouldn't even be noticeable. Have you developed a low end shudder without the harmonic balancer though?
On a seperate note...in testing my 4bt pump and my friend having his up and running very well on a relatively stock AHU TDI Synchro Vanagon application....timing so far has been set to 1.00. That is with the 4bt pump though...
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #41February 11, 2006, 06:59:37 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2006, 06:59:37 pm »
mummn a taper key way would be hard for me to do myself..i have a dremel tool and that would be my way of making that ..ie not that accurate i'd rather pay the $ to have it done  then 'rig it up ..and ruin it....im debating the thgough deal now ..i just have to wait for the stuff..i am kinda anooyed at waiting too long for it though..oh well ha...theres afox wagon im debating playing with local too...heck i may even sell my tdi caddy if i get a good price..mummn i wonder what i would get for it?...
later
Deo

Reply #42February 11, 2006, 09:02:02 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2006, 09:02:02 pm »
I wish my mom and dad would have never gotten rid of our Fox... never, ever had a problem with it the entire time they had it. Just came to being "not used" anymore and found its way to NY here...

Probably can pull a little money for the TDI caddy depending on the shape of the body, etc. I'm guessing...maybe 3k

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #43February 12, 2006, 06:27:30 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2006, 06:27:30 am »
man I'd hope I could get at least 3 k -- guys are selling td idi caddys on ebay 3-5k...I have a TON of $ in the engine and truck as it is 1000 bucks just for the engine before I did stuff to it...then two custom pumps, my turbo parts, an  lines, machine work..welded early round frontend on my self..over $600 in guages alone..argh..two race seats ..I plan to paint the sucker and rhino line it this summer when I rhino the bed I'm gonna rhino the rockers too... I may grab the fox as a daily driver..I did grab a aeb 20v oil filter pad..I could use to put a tdi in the fox..argh ha..I always liked foxes and wanted to do a diesel swap in one..plus I have two synco quantums here i can rob parts from ie syncro fox eventaully.
Thanks
Deo

Reply #44February 19, 2006, 07:15:38 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2006, 07:15:38 pm »
Well Now, I did the pump swap. and the suspension swap, and a full exhaust to the rear minus a muffler of course , all today..argh... computer hard drive went on friday so I have to wait for the mail; to send em and check my email at my dads... heres some pics.. need to take some more

S-PAutomotive.com