Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: anybody got these??  (Read 6726 times)

January 15, 2006, 04:57:34 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

anybody got these??
« on: January 15, 2006, 04:57:34 pm »
hey im thinkin bout going to home depot and getting a bunch of lexan,and making new side windows (eventually a rear window too)for the new folked 79 rabbit tdi-m project,,any hardcore dudes out there ??imgoin for weight removal,probably cut out inside of door,,rebrace it or somethin,,, looks kind of cool with the latest mod,,cut out rear valance,and spare tire well,,looks like lotsa room for a 'cell with the stock tank removed too :twisted:  :twisted:

Throttle cables ftw

Reply #1January 15, 2006, 05:48:02 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

anybody got these??
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 05:48:02 pm »
Hell, why stop at the windows? Remove everthing that doesn't make it go faster. Strip the shell and scrape the undercoating off, if you're not looking for any comfort it's easy to go fast. :twisted:  Side door impact beams, who needs 'em? Carpet? This ain't the hilton, gone! Wipers? Use Rain-X. With the right attitude I bet you can drop 500lbs in an hour.  :D

I've always wanted to do this to a golf or a rabbit and a 1.9TD. I bet you could pull off 13's with 90hp if you got rid of all the junk...

Reply #2January 15, 2006, 08:25:12 pm

DVST8R

• Veteran

anybody got these??
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 08:25:12 pm »
My buddy works at GE plastics, and as such I get all sorts of off cuts for free, well minus shipping. Anyway he says don't use lexan if you can avoid it as it scratch's really easy, just use normal polycarbonate, or some stuff that i can't remeber the brand name of right now, (its a highly scratch resistant plexiglass) He said the only reason to ever use lexan is for impact resistance IE. winshield, but even then for the most part he would still recomend just normal plexiglass. As I continue to build the "race rabbit" i will have some pics of polycarbonate replacing normal glass in all but the winshield for right now.

QuickTD, that is my plan, as light as possible with still being able to pass a motor vehical inspection (which are pretty lenient up here in the north)
The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Reply #3January 15, 2006, 10:33:52 pm

Master ACiD

• Veteran

anybody got these??
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 10:33:52 pm »
you guys would have a blast down here in south florida. we have no inspections for cars in the entire state. you can pretty much do anything you want.

Reply #4January 16, 2006, 11:17:33 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

anybody got these??
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 11:17:33 pm »
oh whoops,, ionlyhave front seats,,its alreadygutted some, no carpet/sound deadning,,,,,,i did get 9.99 rubber autozone floor mats,,it helps deadan some road noise,stillhas door panels,,most of undercoating is gone already,,lol,,lotsa rust repair,,,,,use a wire wheel,and a propane or  ace.  torch to remove nastyundercoating,works great,,,,,its a basic rabbit,,NO power brakes,,upgraded w/metalmasters+ vented powerslots,,plus i changed calipers to later model ones,,had to use a master from a 84 jetta td seems like it has the optional  right side remote mirror(ooh/aah),, i think ill leave the headliner in it for now,,,this car is being drivin right now, i did leave the heater core in it,but have to operate everything manually,,oh it did have ac,,its allripped out,,i was told it was a texas car orig.,,,,im hopin this tdi runs good,,im hopefully gonna be pulling the bunny into the garage for its transplant this weekend,,hopin to get it goin in a few weeks of couple hours a night and weekends,,side markers are filled,trim removed+filled,,,,,imupin the air about bumpers,,,ive had a vew taps,oncars (vw) withnobumpers,,,usually uglybodydamage,,,,maybe at least rear one,,,,,,heyyyyyy drillem out all over with a big hole saw like swiss cheeze,,like deo did years ago,,,,hmmmmlight is right!!!!!!!
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #5January 17, 2006, 02:13:52 am

RAMMSTEIN

• Veteran

anybody got these??
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 02:13:52 am »
Very interesting thread.

What I would like to do, would be to remove as much weight as possible without the car looking stripped.

Lexan is a good idea, but what other material can we use?

Removing the rear seat.

What about fiberglass fenders and hood?

What about the hatch?

Carbon fiber hood?

If anybody has answers, please tell us. :D
Rammstein

In abscence of light, darkness prevails.

Reply #6January 21, 2006, 12:48:08 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

anybody got these??
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 12:48:08 pm »
Quote from: "RAMMSTEIN"
Very interesting thread.

What I would like to do, would be to remove as much weight as possible without the car looking stripped.

Lexan is a good idea, but what other material can we use?

Removing the rear seat.

What about fiberglass fenders and hood?

What about the hatch?

Carbon fiber hood?

If anybody has answers, please tell us. :D

rear seat is  gone,,,,cut out inner bracing under the hood,,,,,,,make a hatch outa fibergls,or carbon fiber,,,,fenders+hood too,,i have new fenders i put on,,they arent too heavy,,,but 'glass would be lighter,,,,i have a connection,,back in ny state,,thru my dad,,theguybuilds carbon fiber accy.s  for aircraft,,,,hehheh,,he wants do "duplicate" a rabbit incarbon fiber,,lol,thad be great,,a 1000-1200-1300pound rabbit,,,,a hot tdi with 150hpplus,,thatllfly,,,,,,remove dashboard,,and gut out bracing behind it or somethin,,,,remove glovebox,and just use cover/lid for it,,make it permamently closed,,,,lets hear more weight saving tips!!!
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #7January 21, 2006, 05:40:50 pm

Master ACiD

• Veteran

anybody got these??
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 05:40:50 pm »
ok heres a weight saving tip that i am personally doing. its called a diet and going to the gym 3 tyimes a week.

Reply #8January 22, 2006, 01:34:21 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

anybody got these??
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 01:34:21 pm »
Quote from: "Master ACiD"
ok heres a weight saving tip that i am personally doing. its called a diet and going to the gym 3 tyimes a week.

yea that is funny,, i see ,,sometimes,,some dude w/a cool race/street car,,its gutted to the max,,,and he is 5'3" and 300pounds,,,, a saladwouldnt hurt once ina while,,,,im5'10" 150,,,so i cant lose too much,,,good idea though,,,,eat salads,shave a tenth!!
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #9January 22, 2006, 02:23:52 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

anybody got these??
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 02:23:52 pm »
bumpers weigh a lot.
lose the dash/heater box.
when you removed a/c did you remove the in-cabin portion as well?
spare tire.
rear wiper, motor, fluid res.
relocate battery to behind passenger seat (get a braille 11 pounder if you don't need cold starts)
super light rims/tires.
no exhaust system.  :lol:

Reply #10January 22, 2006, 07:32:43 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

anybody got these??
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 07:32:43 pm »
Quote from: "BlackTieTD"
bumpers weigh a lot.
lose the dash/heater box.
when you removed a/c did you remove the in-cabin portion as well?
spare tire.
rear wiper, motor, fluid res.
relocate battery to behind passenger seat (get a braille 11 pounder if you don't need cold starts)
super light rims/tires.
no exhaust system.  :lol:

ilost the guts inside the box,,,,ive still got a heater,its cold here,,,but allcontrols are gone,,levers on dash+vacuum crap,,and its "fixed " in def. mode,,id like to "engineer" a "portable/temporary" heater box setup,that could be removed in like 10 minutes with no coolant spills,,maybe quick disconnects on water lines,spare's gone,so is tire well,,and rear valance panel..plan to do10-12 gallonfuelcell remove stockfuel tank,so 3 inch exhaust can be straight out ,,for inspection purposes,,,rest of time,its a shorty,,,already got an optima,perfect!,,,,my car is a base model,,nopower brakes even,now has powerslots+metalmasters,nowiper,,hell its radiodelete,w/orig blockoff plate,,,it looks lame with the wheels though,cause they are those a2 13 inch steels 5.5 wide though,,,,theylook like a ring,, not really any holes in face,and need the trin to look correct,ya know?
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #11January 23, 2006, 08:07:47 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

anybody got these??
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 08:07:47 am »
cool mdeal blake ..andreas says hi..got soem venison from him ethe other night..his carbon fiber plane is looking nice.... i hope to mess with eth tdi oil pressure soon then i can go back to driving it ha...my tdi i pickup is pretty stripped just has undercoating under it because of salt on the roads..ha... oh i got  a3 cyl kubota last night  gonna swap it in my economy powerking heheh tell you about it laster..you need to post pics of you car here it will lokk cool..oh yeah i have to do that too hahaha..later
Deo snowing here but im off so its cool
ha

Reply #12January 24, 2006, 12:00:19 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

anybody got these??
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 12:00:19 am »
sweet on the kubota,that will be nice better than a gasser,  yea say hi to andreas,,,thats funny,,put in an "order" for venison,and,there ya go,,fresh bambyburgers,,allyear round,,lol,,idont thinkthe airport wants that dude flyin that jet out of ther on its first flight,,just in case ,,ya know??,we are a kubota dealer,at work,,,,yo,,,igot the engine compartment painted,new ford grey,got all brackets/pulleys from old engine beaded at work,,ill paiont them tomorrow,,,i still gotta open up the alternator   to "create" a W lead for the tach,,,run wiring for guages,install them,,probablygonna get it put in this weekend,, built another preluber,,this time iremoved shaft,,and pulled the seal,,and welded the nut right on top,sealing the oilpassage ,,but it can drain cause ipulled the lower sealwhere it slips onthe pump,,last one i made gave me a (oil) bath,,not again,,little stuff this week,,painting/detailing parts,,gotta bolt trans up,,i found some big weld bungs on ebay,,for the intercooler,,like 2 or 3 inch,,for filler neck
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #13October 16, 2006, 07:08:32 pm

derek510galaxy

anybody got these??
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 07:08:32 pm »
If you are required to have bumpers in your state, I noticed  the aluminum GTI bumpers ( and probably later ) are much lighter than the chromed steel bumpers on my German Rabbit. I'm going to mill turn signal slots in those and polish them ( they're painted black ) to try to retain the original appearance. I might also try to replace the heavy, fluid filled bumper shocks with a simple steel tube, shortened naturally.
1979 Rabbit TD (in the works)
1983 Rabbit GTI (350,000 miles)

Reply #14October 16, 2006, 07:29:40 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
anybody got these??
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 07:29:40 pm »
I would not recommend removing the spare tire well. It increases body flew like mad, and the reinforcements required to make up for it weigh more then the wheel well did
Tyler

Fixmyvw.com