Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6TD won't start then did but won't idle then did reved engine then stalled?  (Read 1925 times)

February 15, 2011, 09:11:05 pm

dieselherb1

• Veteran

1.6TD front seal and back o ring were leaking so replaced them. Have lift pump(had trouble starting before) cranked and cranked finally started but shut off won't idle, started raced engine after a minute or so got it to idle. Idled for 10-15 minutes, tried reving again went back to idle then shut off won't start. Any ideas?
Thanks

Reply #1February 15, 2011, 09:58:11 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

I bet some springs fell out of place in there.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #2February 16, 2011, 08:13:10 am

dieselherb1

• Veteran

Which springs? I never had the pump apart. I've replaced the back o-ring on several TDI pumps so I know how much to expose to get the o-ring.

Reply #3February 16, 2011, 12:59:11 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Did you take the high pressure pump off? Even if you just pulled it partway off things could've loosened enough.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #4February 16, 2011, 02:04:06 pm

8v-of-fury

Almost sounds like you replaced the timing cover seals on the "sides" of the pump..

Did you remove the hardlines going to the injectors and replace the o-ring under the pump head?? (Drivers side of the pump)

Are you still using the lift pump?? Any smoke while its running like this?

Reply #5February 16, 2011, 11:39:36 pm

dieselherb1

• Veteran

Replaced the mainshaft seal(sprocket end,o-ring inj. line end) yes still use lift pump but have a power line I can disconnect. Some smoke, but I don't have downpipe or exhaust pipe on it yet( straight out of turbo) Idled fine till I revved it, then cut off.

Reply #6February 16, 2011, 11:44:13 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

I'd take the top off and see if everything looks good still.

S-PAutomotive.com