Author Topic: Vacuum Issue  (Read 3873 times)

February 15, 2011, 09:45:30 am

BlastIt

• Junior

• bigrblasting.com
Vacuum Issue
« on: February 15, 2011, 09:45:30 am »
My buddy has a 85 Jetta with a 1.6 NA. When starting cold there is little to no vacuum. If you let it sit there and warm up still little to no vacuum. You have to drive it for a little while to get vacuum to work the brakes. It has the vane style vacuum pump. Things we checked were the vane pump and it seemed ok. We replaced the rubber seals in the pump. We check the oil pressure it was in spec (on the low end).Checked the oil pump to make sure it was not loose or clogged it was not. We installed a diaphragm vacuum pump and it worked fine vacuum right away. Does that mean the vane pump is bad or have we overlooked something? If the vane pump is bad is there a rebuild kit for them? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
John

Reply #1February 15, 2011, 12:43:43 pm

Quantum TD

• Veteran

Re: Vacuum Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 12:43:43 pm »
It sounds like the pump is bad. It could just be the check valve, but that is not sold as a separate part. There is no rebuild kit, of which I am aware.

Reply #2February 16, 2011, 08:30:14 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 08:30:14 am »
I have one doing the same thing. I will watch to see if you get it figured out. Mine seemed to work fine after about a mile or so down the road, but I didn't like waiting for brakes. I also trashed my master cylinder at that time I believe from pushing too hard.

Libbybapa has a thread I think of repairing the check valve with some after market solution.

Reply #3February 16, 2011, 11:14:17 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:14:17 am »
what about putting some grease, or vaseline on the vanes? and smear some on the inside of the housing.. or will it mess the vanes up?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #4February 16, 2011, 02:11:02 pm

BlastIt

• Junior

• bigrblasting.com
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 02:11:02 pm »

Libbybapa has a thread I think of repairing the check valve with some after market solution.
[/quote]
 Would you have a link to it? I tried searching for it wasn't able to find it.

Reply #5February 16, 2011, 03:17:36 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 03:17:36 pm »
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=27851.0

Not libby...not fixing the check valve, but might help you.

BTW this was the one I was thinking of.

Reply #6February 16, 2011, 03:40:47 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 03:40:47 pm »
the check valve has nothing to do with the operation of the pump, because i know of people fixing these by taking the check valve out (because they broke the plastic hose barb off it) and then drilling and threading the cover to accept a brass hose barb. works fine afterwards, even without the check valve.

maybe the vanes are gunked up, take the top off the vac pump, and clean the inside with carb cleaner..

almost sounds like there is an oil of some sort in there, and it has degraded, and gotten sticky. and it wont let the vanes release from the shaft and come in contact with the sides of the vac pump.. if the vanes dont freely move, then it will have a hard time making vacuum.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #7February 16, 2011, 06:58:39 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 06:58:39 pm »
I took mine apart and the vanes are free it just doesn't work. I suspect his is similar. The only thing I could think of is maybe there is a restriction in the oil port and it just takes a long time to get oil up there. Good luck and let me know what the fix is as mine I just replaced with another and it works fine :D

Reply #8February 17, 2011, 07:16:50 am

BlastIt

• Junior

• bigrblasting.com
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 07:16:50 am »
We had this one apart also. It got cleaned up, checked the lash for the gears. We went over every piece of it can't find a reason why it will not work properly. I guess we'll end up swapping this one. We may try to change the vanes and see if that makes a difference.

Reply #9February 20, 2011, 01:53:44 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 01:53:44 pm »
get a newer style pump, you can score them off of the early mk 3s too
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.