S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Prothane A Arm bushing install ?  (Read 5002 times)

January 13, 2011, 08:19:57 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Prothane A Arm bushing install ?
« on: January 13, 2011, 08:19:57 pm »
I purchased new prothane a arm bushings. It says to press them in, but it doesn't say which way. I fully understand pressing in, but there is a difference in thickness in the rear bushing depending on which way is up. There is no mention of it in the instructions. Literally all it says is press them in.

The main question is: Is there a correct way to press in the rear A arm bushings or not? Do I just pick one side as up and keep both A arms with that side up and call it good? Any and all info apprieciated :D

Reply #1January 13, 2011, 09:53:34 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

Re: Prothane A Arm bushing install ?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 09:53:34 pm »
MK2?

most of the prothane stuff I have used were press in with your fingers, not a shop press.

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #2January 14, 2011, 01:09:58 am

VWCaddy

• Junior

• VW Caddy Page
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 01:09:58 am »
Here is how I installed mine (A1 parts - not sure what model is being asked about):

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTricks/PolyBushings.shtml#SuspensionBushings

The flat side of the rear bushing sits flush against the sub-frame, the round side is held by the u-shaped clamp.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 12:33:24 pm by VWCaddy »
'82 VW pickup, 1.9D engine, Missing LinkZ shift linkage

Reply #3January 14, 2011, 08:30:01 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 08:30:01 am »
Thanks, it is MK2 prothane stuff. I will be doing the sway bar, steering rack, and maybe the bump stops while in there. The problem is I bought new control arms with new bushings in there, but they were supposed to be prothane. They came and they were rubber, so I am going to put the prothane to it. The rear bushing looks to have a top and bottom side to it. They would be different thicknesses if I just put them in there so I will probably put it in so the thicker side is up. Were only talking less than 1/8" but with alignment stuff that is critical.

Reply #4January 14, 2011, 10:25:17 am

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 10:25:17 am »
grease them well with synthetic grease

GB
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #5January 14, 2011, 06:23:04 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 06:23:04 pm »
I did the sway bar bushings tonight and there is some slop in them. That is the only parts I have done since getting the prothane kit. I hope the rest is tighter than that.

Reply #6January 16, 2011, 12:46:50 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 12:46:50 am »
Here is how I installed mine (A1 parts):

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTricks/PolyBushings.shtml#SuspensionBushings

The flat side of the rear bushing sits flush against the sub-frame, the round side is held by the u-shaped clamp.

The picture is MK1 stuff so no subframe, MK2 is quite a bit different looking.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #7January 16, 2011, 10:02:38 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 10:02:38 am »
Here is how I installed mine (A1 parts):

The picture is MK1 stuff so no subframe, MK2 is quite a bit different looking.
Yeah it looks different but similar. The rear is the biggest differenc and the one I have trouble with. I need to figure out if I can press them in by hand or shop press. I will know by the end of today I hope :D

Reply #8January 17, 2011, 02:52:43 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 02:52:43 pm »
Have you tried squeezing them in with a vise?
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #9January 17, 2011, 11:54:46 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 11:54:46 pm »
I have gator grip hands. I used there silly cone lube provided and they pushed in by hand fairly easily. With the lip the MK2 ones have I don't think they would come out as easy as they went in. I didn't need a press for the entire job. I cut the old out with a sawzall and tapped them out with a hammer and screw driver. They were rubber mounts that I got by mistake, brand new but "old" as I said above.
I have driven a day on it and already love the poly up front. Figured it would be harsh, but not bad at all.

Reply #10January 19, 2011, 10:49:23 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 10:49:23 pm »
Mine are a few months old now and I really like 'em but I've discovered that they're horribly squeeky at -30F.

Reply #11January 19, 2011, 11:59:54 pm

Rabbit79

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Burns, Oregon,USA
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 11:59:54 pm »
Mine are a few months old now and I really like 'em but I've discovered that they're horribly squeeky at -30F.
I did my whole car with prothane except for the motor mounts, I used the lube that came with them and they were awfully squeaky for a month or two but after that they seemed to "settle in" and they're squeak-less now.
Current: 1979 Rabbit 4dr
            1984 F-250
            1999 Ford Ranger
Other v-dubs I've owned:
84 Rabbit
78 Rabbit (gasoline) flipped it end over end after driving all night and falling asleep at the wheel. RIP, it was a good little car.
70 Bug

Reply #12January 20, 2011, 08:44:49 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 08:44:49 am »
I think I would like to to the engine mounts and everything else but the rear shock mounts. It looks to me like top of the rear shocks are supposed to pivot a little and these are supposed to fight that movement. Maybe I am off on that, you knowledgable people let me know. Up front the control arms, sway bar, and steering rack is all poly now. So far I don't see any reason not to do it. It didn't stiffen it up to the point that I thought it would. I am now thinking it wouldn't be that bad for engine mounts because of it. I still have the hydro mount on the front of mine and think it is whipped. The 6 puck clutch seems to rock the mount pretty good on take off.
Rabbitman and Rabbit 79: How much did you guys do on your cars?

Reply #13January 20, 2011, 08:31:37 pm

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 08:31:37 pm »
I have the motor mount inserts and cab's on a mk1, the motor mounts make it loud but I don't have any carpet, padding door cards etc which do a lot of muffling. The firmness in the driveline feels great though, I'd say if you like stiff noisy cars (we do drive old diesels right?) go for it.

Reply #14January 22, 2011, 12:36:21 am

Rabbit79

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Burns, Oregon,USA
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 12:36:21 am »
If you're asking for exactly what I replaced with prothane I did the steering rack, the A-arms, and the rear axle beam bushings. I probably would have done the bumpers that go at the top of the struts too but I didn't know they had those in prothane at the time. I'd just put new struts on it about a year before anyway and they were in good shape so I wasn't too worried about those. I was kinda on the fence about motor mounts but I'd heard alot of people saying they thought they were a bit too stiff for motor mounts and increased vibration..... I don't know how true that is, but it made me decide to go with just standard motor mounts.
Current: 1979 Rabbit 4dr
            1984 F-250
            1999 Ford Ranger
Other v-dubs I've owned:
84 Rabbit
78 Rabbit (gasoline) flipped it end over end after driving all night and falling asleep at the wheel. RIP, it was a good little car.
70 Bug

S-PAutomotive.com