S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Crank Pulley Problems  (Read 2584 times)

January 07, 2006, 10:09:54 pm

Harry

Crank Pulley Problems
« on: January 07, 2006, 10:09:54 pm »
I have seen from previous threads that some TD engines have a crank pulley/crank snout problem. I have no experience with either TDs or TDIs.
I have the opportunity to get a '98 Jetta TDI, with some nose damage from a minor wreck, which I can fix fairly easily. Presently the engine and trans seem to be in good shape. What I am wondering is whether the TDIs have the same problem as the TDs when it comes to this crank pulley thing where it wears out and then goes out of time and toasts the engine pretty much? The car was originally sold in the US.
Thanks, Harry

Reply #1January 08, 2006, 10:22:23 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

Crank Pulley Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 10:22:23 am »
The TDI's do not seem to suffer from this problem. They are factory fitted with the new style timing pulley, harmonic balancer and clutch type alternator pulley. The only failures of TDI cranks I have seen have been due to improper torquing or re-use of the crank pulley bolt.

Reply #2February 02, 2006, 12:08:45 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

Crank Pulley Problems
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 12:08:45 am »
yo,, ihad to freakin ORDER a new bolt at the dealer,here in the us,,,whenhe told me it was 1.90 us,,,i said get me 2 ,,,just get a new bolt ,,and dont just trust yourself to turn it the extra 90 deg by eye, use a angle guage on your breaker bar
Throttle cables ftw