S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Help me remember where these electrical connectors go  (Read 4211 times)

November 28, 2010, 10:45:18 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

Help me remember where these electrical connectors go
« on: November 28, 2010, 10:45:18 pm »
So I didn't do a good job at all labeling or documenting the electrical system before tearing it apart a number of months ago. I haven't done a lot of Bentley homework but I hate reading the electrical diagrams in black and white, and I wish it had more description on the actual connectors.

So hopefully someone can help me identify how these go back together.

Passenger side, parking light and turn signal wiring. Black connector with a green/black and a pair of brown, from main lighting extension harness. From turn signal, white, black, and brown. Also nearby, from parking light, brown, white(ish), maybe I have these already correct?

Similarly on driver side:

On driver side, off of main harness. "T" type of connector, brown and yellow/black. Unknown destination.

Also on driver side, black/white(?) single connector, black connector with brown, black/white, brown.

Driver side, near main battery/alt/starter wiring. Two larger red wires with eyebolt connectors - pretty sure these were on the side of my main + post wiring (as shown). Large diameter red/black wiring that goes to a black and also a white connector. Unknown destination.

Driver side, brown wiring to black double connector. White connector with white, white/green. White connector with white/green(?) and brown.

Driver side, out of harness with some of the engine sender wiring, white connector, white/green and red/white.

Driver side near battery. Pretty sure this was on the side of the main battery minus post.

Off of center front head coolant flange. Green wire goes from switch into harness. Other prong of switch, green wire to I believe the AC compressor? Not sure here, also new AC compressor has different plug. Before was one spade terminal, now has two.

Driver side, further towards firewall, out of main harness. White connector with green/red and brown.

Thanks in advance!

1984 Jetta GL Turbo Diesel, ~180k miles

Reply #1November 29, 2010, 01:14:15 am

745 turbogreasel

Re: Help me remember where these electrical connectors go
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 01:14:15 am »
Not much, but brown = earth (or Ground in American)

Reply #2November 29, 2010, 01:24:46 am

vwpieces

• User+

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 01:24:46 am »
Ok, going from memory. TD is not at home tonight, but your pics do not indicate anything TD specific.
Pic #4 is the Horn: T type Br, B/Y
Pic #3&5. First off jump the 2 Greys (GY) together that you can. Last GY will go into the white connector in pic5 (GY/BK wire). The remaining BLack will fit into the remaining BL/W, Process of elimination... Same thing on the Pass side except the BL/W are now BL/Gr & GY/BK is now GY/R
Pic #6: I think those are not used on the TD. Should be for the AC/cooling harness on a gasser but the TD has an independent cooling harness that is direct from the battery, again from memory...
Pic 7&8: Take a good look at the white T block, does it look like those spades ever had a connection? I think they are gasser up shift vacuum switch. The Y/R should be the coolant sender on the neck, front of the head. Yellow should be the blue oil pressure sender on the side of the head
Last couple pics: Brown ring definitely the NEG side of Batt. Green singles go on the big sender switch (AC) on the front water neck of the head. Green is generally the AC system & if that last G/R & BR has a black housing, I think it is the AC compressor.

Hope that helps enough to eliminate things a bit & let you reduce the number of unconnected plugs. As I said, process of elimination will show you where the last few go.

Nick

Reply #3December 01, 2010, 05:08:55 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 05:08:55 pm »
What year car and what country was it built in?
Tyler

Reply #4December 01, 2010, 05:22:30 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 05:22:30 pm »
This one is part of the A/C overheat protection circuit

It should plug into the A/C power and into the flange on the cylinder head and somewhere near the rad fan. If I gather everything correctly it cuts power to A/C when the coolant gets too hot.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 11:08:09 pm by theman53 »

Reply #5December 01, 2010, 09:08:41 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:08:41 pm »
What year car and what country was it built in?

In the sig; '84 Jetta GL TD, made in Germany
1984 Jetta GL Turbo Diesel, ~180k miles

Reply #6December 02, 2010, 11:39:04 am

doonboggle

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 11:39:04 am »
So I didn't do a good job at all labeling or documenting the electrical system before tearing it apart a number of months ago. I haven't done a lot of Bentley homework but I hate reading the electrical diagrams in black and white, and I wish it had more description on the actual connectors.
So hopefully someone can help me identify how these go back together.

I'm with you on those stupid wiring diagrams that Bentley and others use.
You might want to view the sticky I have posted on the 81-84 rabbit schematic.  Has helped me out tremendously.  Follow my guide and print it out if possible and put in reference book for usage later on.
http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/forumdisplay.php/46-1975-1984-VW-Rabbit-General-Forum
doonboggle

1981 Rabbit pickup; 1.6L diesel
2006 Jetta TDI
1971 VW Karman Ghia convertible