S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: my CY2  (Read 1701 times)

November 27, 2010, 05:09:53 am

1outof5

my CY2
« on: November 27, 2010, 05:09:53 am »
Mentioned it to Dr Diesel and he sais pics pics ... so here goes
Story:
Doesn't look like I'll ever finish the caddy, or least it's taking a lot longer than I thought (supposed to be a daily!). My dad keeped lending me his old cars so I figured might as well just have mine until the caddy is back on the road.
Started looking around and finaly went for this one  ;D

1983 (mk1) Golf GTD, the original one, only available between july 83 and march 84 (at least in France)

and what everybody really wants to see (stock but for the battery)

300k kilometers, it's getting about 5l/100. for now I've changed the injectors return lines. The car does need work, windscreen surround is rotten and seals have been used as jacking points

Got the car off a second hand car mechant, but found the original owner from new, he'd given in the golf for scrapping to this garage where he bought a new car. the original owner was kind of pissed off because I had actually paid money for it when the garage had not given him a cent went he bough his new car

Reply #1November 27, 2010, 11:13:02 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

Re: my CY2
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 11:13:02 am »
Nice looking car, but what is the difference between this and a TD?
Is it merely trim? No intercooler, so maybe no more power. :-\
Strange how there is no water level sensor.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #2November 27, 2010, 11:42:06 am

1outof5

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 11:42:06 am »
MK1 TD, I believe, were never produced by VW, well I have heard of some Rabbit TD's (?). The "GTD" was a diesel with a GTI finish. The engine is a CY (mechanical head), K24 turbo with no intercooler, 70cv, gearbox the famous FF. Interiorwise it had the 4 branch steering wheel with the center piece written Turbo diesel, a 4+E golf ball (E in orange), classic "upper" finish (thicker carpet, door pockets with speaker, glovebox dashboard). Then there was 2 colors for the seats, standard seats but with either black or red striped center on grey (black spected) velour cloth.
Came in 3 doors or 5 doors; GTI stripes on the sides and GTI airflow plastic "things" on the side of the windscreen, large (just black) side strips, big Duckbill and GTI wing arches otherwise just like an ordinary mk1 golf (even the ordinary front brakes)
9 spoke aloys, 4 light grill and the Kamei spoiler were options. I don't know about the green tinted windows, option or standard, I've seen both

They are kind of getting rare, as some of the parts are quite saught after (steering wheel, badges and especialy the exhaust down pipe)

I wondered about the waterlevel sensor and asked an old VW mechanic who had a GTD and he told me that they were not connected but that the wire (and plug was there). Took a look and found the wires well put away near the bottom of the battery tray.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 11:49:13 am by 1outof5 »

Reply #3November 27, 2010, 01:02:45 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 01:02:45 pm »
certain us cars had the water level sensor, my 83 auto rabbit did and i think td rabbits did too.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit