Author Topic: Heater fan flow troubles  (Read 3342 times)

November 26, 2010, 09:26:04 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Heater fan flow troubles
« on: November 26, 2010, 09:26:04 pm »
New heater fan. Never worked well, but I thought it was the filter I retro fitted. I took that out and no change. The fan sounds like it is making mad wind, but nothing really comes out of the vents. I looked and hooked up the + and - correctly, but am wondering if I need to switch them? There just isn't much coming out of the vents anywhere. The difference between setting 1 and 4 on the fan really isn't much difference at all. I replaced the fan as I had the same problem with the old one ::). There is no obstruction to the flow of air and the vents are not closed, but that is what it seems like.

What do I look for? Please help it is gettting cold ;)

Reply #1November 26, 2010, 10:57:19 pm

85Jettaturbo

Re: Heater fan flow troubles
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:57:19 pm »
You should be able to run the fan through it's speeds unbolted from the ductwork to verify the speed changes.  If you can't visually and feel a difference in speed then it is still electrical.You didn't say how you confirmed there are no obstructions anywhere but without removing the entire dash and verifying, that still is a possibilty.  I've had mice build many a nest in the duckwork and it plugs it all up.  If you have AC  the evaporater can get blinded over but you should be able to see that with the fan out.

Reply #2November 26, 2010, 11:57:11 pm

Powered by Spearco

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 11:57:11 pm »
You have a MK2 Jetta/Golf right. When was the last time you did a heater core, and if you did it, did you reseal the vent doors in the box. The foam on the doors falls off and basicly you have no controll of flow and just blows everywhere.

Does that sound like your problem?
'87 Syncro Transporter Single Cab "Now TDI"
'78 Rabbit..Gas Weekend Racer
'81 Caddy..Diesel 1.6/1.9 TD hybrid 275HP 349TQ "Retired"
'90 MultiVan, 2.5 Suby Swap, Porsche Brakes
'76 Scirocco TD dragster project
'13 Golf R:. Tuned
'98 Puch G320

Reply #3November 27, 2010, 01:44:36 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 01:44:36 pm »
I just did the entire airbox this summer. I had everything cleaned and there are no obstructions. I replaced all the foam(I had to take it out the 2nd time for that) resistor, a/c evaporator, heater core, and then when driving it here in September I replaced the fan as well. The switch, fan, and resistor are working. It changes from the defrost vents, to the vents, to the floor...
There is just no flow. I made a cabin air filter and used that for a while. I just took that out last night thinking the fan would pull better but there is no change.
Is there a possibility that the wires should be going the opposite way? Brown is with - and the red black one is with + right now, but it seems like that is the deal.
Is there anything else I should try?

Reply #4November 28, 2010, 12:09:26 am