Author Topic: No high speed on fresh air blower fan  (Read 2855 times)

November 25, 2010, 09:18:51 pm

85Jettaturbo

No high speed on fresh air blower fan
« on: November 25, 2010, 09:18:51 pm »
85 Jetta Deisel w/AC
The high speed doesn't work on the fresh air blower.  All the other 3 speeds work fine.  I jumpered out the switch and still have no high speed so I'm guessing it is somewhere between the switch and blower.The wiring diagram shows it goes through the AC relay then to the blower.  Before I buy a new relay I thought I should post to see if anyone has had a similar problem and what their fix was.  Thanks for any responses.

Reply #1November 25, 2010, 09:40:52 pm

Quantum TD

• Veteran

Re: No high speed on fresh air blower fan
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 09:40:52 pm »
The usual problem is that all speed BUT high work. That's usually the resistor pack that's mounted to the heater box behind the glove box. But I don't think that's your problem.

I'd check the fuses, then the relay if there is one (some had them, some didn't). If it does have a relay, it will be external to the main box.

It could also be a switch. That would be my best guess after you check the other simple stuff.

Reply #2November 25, 2010, 11:57:44 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 11:57:44 pm »
I'd guess it has a relay for high speed.
 They started doing that on the later Rabbits because high was burning up the fuse box plug/pin/fuse holder.

They mount it on the outside of the airbox on Rabbits.
 The relay might have it's own seperate fuse??
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #3November 26, 2010, 10:41:06 pm

85Jettaturbo

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 10:41:06 pm »
Update
Thanks for the replys.  Yes the AC relay that the high speed wire goes to was bad as I replaced the relay and the high speed started working again.  I wished I would have just done that first versus taking half my dash apart looking for loose wires etc.

Fixmyvw.com