S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Cold morning starting..  (Read 1778 times)

November 11, 2010, 09:05:36 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Cold morning starting..
« on: November 11, 2010, 09:05:36 am »
so, its 28* this morning, car has a half dead battery. just wanted to see if it would start.

hit the plugs, and it dimmed the dope light bad. then i hit the starter, i knew it wasnt gonna start, cause it was turning over slow..

to my surprise, it fired right up, not even a whole rotation of the engine!

its definitely a keeper!

engines in sub-stellar health do not start this well when its cold. my grandpas 1.6 has to be glowed twice when its cold like this..

92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #1November 12, 2010, 12:16:50 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: Cold morning starting..
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 12:16:50 am »
I think any that don't start easy at that temp are worn out. Mine starts real good until about 5F and then I think the oil starts to thicken extra bad, it has to crank faster and faster (about 2-3 seconds total) before it'll start. I never glow more than once unless it fails to start then I try again.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #2November 13, 2010, 12:31:34 am

maxfax

• Veteran

Re: Cold morning starting..
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 12:31:34 am »
This thread got me motivated.. I haven't even opened the door on my Rabbit since June 1..  24 deg F tonight and the little piece of.. uhh joy fired right up..

Last winter, -30 Deg F, 15w40 dino oil, no block heater - One cycle of the glow plugs and boom it started..  Didn't run real happy, but it started.. 

It's situations like those that make me hesitant to remove the "crack" engine from my bunny.. However the cost of  weekly antifreeze changes, and the deteriorating rubber components of my cooling system ease those hesitations..

S-PAutomotive.com