Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Just curious about smoke.and turbos....:)  (Read 3318 times)

November 05, 2010, 01:10:49 am

Vohaul

• Junior

Just curious about smoke.and turbos....:)
« on: November 05, 2010, 01:10:49 am »
on an aaz engine....all stock (ie no advance timing, extra boost / fuel etc) how much smoke is normal??

ive just always been curious...as mine smokes a small bit on full pedal when at higher rpms....

and on a related note..ive never driven another diesel other than my aaz.....turbo or non turbo.....how would you tell if theres a turbo failure..(major difference in power?)

im just curious as mine seems to have lots of get up and go, but only on higher rpms or when floored....

cheers

Paul

Reply #1November 05, 2010, 07:22:21 am

Henchman

• Junior

Re: Just curious about smoke.and turbos....:)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 07:22:21 am »
That amount of smoke sounds normal to me.  As for the turbo failure, I believe the biggest indicator is burning oil, so blue smoke.

Ian
Under way - 1991 Passat Syncro Wagon w/m-tdi

1991 Passat GL Wagon w/AAZ conversion (now using engine/tranny from 1993 Passat

1993 Passat GL 1.9 Diesel (RIP 385k km, engine, tranny, clutch all original)

Reply #2November 05, 2010, 07:52:00 am

maxfax

• Veteran

Re: Just curious about smoke.and turbos....:)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 07:52:00 am »
The most typical turbo failure is the oil seals, which as mentioned causes blue smoke and oil consumption.. Sometimes ALOT of smoke!!   Another sign would be excessive noise..  Kind of a whining.. Can be bad enough to sound like a siren.. And finally would be a *significant* loss of power when it just plain locks up (and possibly a tad more black smoke although VW uses a boos enrichment on the pump so the smoke is less likely)

S-PAutomotive.com