Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: American Racing Estrella wheels  (Read 5676 times)

October 23, 2010, 02:23:11 am

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

American Racing Estrella wheels
« on: October 23, 2010, 02:23:11 am »
Ever since I've been tinkering with my 81 Rabbit I've had vibration issues due to rims that aren't true, 13-4.5 in steelies.  I can get tons of them around here used but most likely they are all pretty much in the same shape as mine and I don't want to mess with used ones if possible.  The problem is finding a new 13 in. that will fit and I don't want to go with the bigger wheel skinnier tire setup either as I have new 175-70 tires.  The only aftermarket wheel I see anywhere is the American Racing Estrella alloy 13-5.5 with the right bolt pattern 4-100 and they have a back spacing of 4.63 in. and a 35 mm. offset.  I'd like to know if they will fit on the Rabbit with the 175-70 tires because I'm not sure about what wheels fit what on these Rabbits.  They are a pretty decent looking wheel and i can get 4 with free shipping from Hubcap wheel and Tire on the web for $272.  Accordong to all the sites that have them they don't show them fitting the Rabbit but I know the regulations they have to deal with also.  I saw a place that had steel rims for $69 but they were $18 appeace for shipping and I'd rather have the alloys anyway.  I don't know what the specs. are for the  original alloys that the Rabbits had so I don't know comparison wise if the Estrellas will work and not rub anything on the inside.  I don't care if they protrude on the outside a little. I'd appreciate any information on their fitting or not. I just don't want to take chances on old rims that probably aren't any truer than what I already have.  New steel rims would be fine also but nobody has them and if they do they are even more money than these alloys. ???

Reply #1October 23, 2010, 07:18:29 am

Patrick

• Veteran

Re: American Racing Estrella wheels
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 07:18:29 am »
Check the specs of your original wheels and see if they match. mk1 jetta wheels look the same as your wheels but are 5.5" wide and would fit.. The offset will probably be stamped into the rim right near the bolt holes, and off the top of my head 35 mm sounds right, but CHECK IT!. Fox rims have a different offset. All the mk2 wheels fit the mk1 cars if that helps. Had a set of 14" bottlecaps on a mk1 jetta for years.......  You can go 14" and still run a 70 series tire on that car if you want too. Think I was running a 175/70 14"...
Patrick
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 07:21:45 am by Patrick »

Reply #2October 24, 2010, 03:04:22 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 03:04:22 am »
http://www.usacomp.com

Lots of 13" wheels in various widths and offsets.

Also try: http://diamondracingwheels.com/

You can run a ton of different sizes the tires you want to run or can find will be the limiting factor.

Reply #3October 24, 2010, 11:14:06 pm

Rabbit TD

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 11:14:06 pm »
http://www.usacomp.com

Lots of 13" wheels in various widths and offsets.

Also try: http://diamondracingwheels.com/

You can run a ton of different sizes the tires you want to run or can find will be the limiting factor.

Thanks for your reply.  I know the overall diameter with the tire on is the final factor for gearing and that is where I'm at.  I already have new 13 in. 175-70's right now and I don't want to buy new tires too.  I just would like to find a standard 13 in wheel that will fit and not rub anthing and I'm not into the lowering thing and all that.  Like I said new steelies would be fine too as long as they were true, actualy preferred as not to draw any attention to it as far as theives. I have the full sized hubcaps on it now and it is a lot easier to clean that way too,(old fart 62 yr. old  ;D).   I see the American racing Estrellas seem to be the only 13 in. alloy out there and are priced good too,  I just aren't sure if they fit.  They are 13x5.5 with a back spacing of 4 5/8.  Isn't that the same as the stock alloy wheels for the Rabbit and Sirroco?  At $272 shipped for 4, I'd really like to get them and get rid of this damn shimmying once and for all. Like I said I don't want to mess with junk yard wheels and all the dickering and such just to find out they arent true either.  All the sites that advertise these Estrellas say they don't fit the Rabbit but at 13x5.5 with the 4.62 in back spacing and a 4-100 bolt pattern why wouldn't they?  A 15" wheel of differen't styles always pops up instead at their web sites and I'm not going to spend a couple thousand dollars for wheels and tires and being something I don't even care for, let alone need. I want to stay stock looking and cheap too ;)

Reply #4October 25, 2010, 12:35:39 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 12:35:39 am »
This may help you calculate fitment, provided you're a more skilled mathematician than I which isn't saying much:   http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/tech.php?bulletin=s10

The other thing you haven't mentioned is centerbore; vag, bmw and some others from the 70's-80's vintage run 57.1mm centerbore and are hubcentric. You can often correct with hubcentric spacers which are generally inexpensive.

Are you on vortex? They have some authorities on wheel fitment over there that are vastly more knowledgeable on this topic than I.

S-PAutomotive.com