Author Topic: machining help needed.  (Read 2745 times)

October 19, 2010, 01:52:15 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

machining help needed.
« on: October 19, 2010, 01:52:15 pm »
hey all, I just got a new serp pulley for my i-mark to drive the supercharger.

the pulley is from a 302 and the bolt pattern is a little too large.
I need to re-drill the bolt holes to match the crank.

my question is this, should I take the pulley to a machine shop to have the holes drilled(to ensure that they are drilled in the right place) or should I try to drill them myself(risking a little runout of the pulley when installed)

I guess my question is this, how hard is it to drill the holes in exactly the right place?

-Owen
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:22:35 pm by truckinwagen »

83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #1October 19, 2010, 08:06:25 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

Re: redrilling a crank pulley
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 08:06:25 pm »
well, the machine shop wants to make a spacer that bolts on, and then the pulley would bolt onto it, which would cost me several hundred bucks.

so with nothing to lose, I tried to drill out the pulley to match, and was unable to get the pulley centered on the bolts alone(I guess the machine shop was right about needing a hub centric spacer)

I am not interested in spending the kind of money it would take to make a spacer to stack the new serp pulley on top of the v-pulley like I planned on, so I have revised my plans to change my water pump and alternator over to serp as well and just run one belt.;

so now I need a hub centric spacer to make the new pulley match the crank(which has a smaller diameter end than the new pulley's center hole)

would anyone here be able to make me such a spacer out of aluminum if I gave them a set of drawings and some$$?

thanks,
-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #2October 19, 2010, 09:58:19 pm

Luckypabst

• Veteran

Re: machining help needed.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 09:58:19 pm »
Yes. What sort of approximate dimensions?

Email me - Luckypabst at aol

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

S-PAutomotive.com