S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: HELP!! Having clutch/clutch cable prob  (Read 3560 times)

October 18, 2010, 02:19:08 am

superbro

• User+

HELP!! Having clutch/clutch cable prob
« on: October 18, 2010, 02:19:08 am »
To start out with. I was driving to work last week and my clutch peddle whent to the floor with only an inch or two to ingage the clutch. I thought i lost the clutch. So the day after I drove to school like that as I was pulling in to the parking lot I lost every thing it wouldn't even go into gear. After looking at it I seen that my cable had broken. No big prob so whent and got a new one and installed it, same thing. So I towed it home and took out the trans and looked at the clutch. It was burnt preety bad so I replaced it. Put it back in and same thing. Took it down once more and looked it over evrey thing looks fine. Removed back cover and looked at foot, rod and bearing all looks fine. So I put the trans back in and same prob. I have the clutch cable adjusted all the way (short) and still have same prob. Will disingage the clutch. But way to much free travel. I'm at a loss I have replaced all most evrey thing even made sure the rod was the right linght. I need help i'm out of ideas.

Aaron P:S sorry about the bad spelling :(

2005 TDI Jetta Wagon 5 speed.

Sold :'( 1983 Caddy 1.6 N/A 5 speed. Daily driver.

Reply #1October 18, 2010, 08:00:46 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: HELP!! Having clutch/clutch cable prob
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 08:00:46 am »
Is it an MKI?
I had the tab rip off the column and had to weld it back on. It holds the cable and you lose all adjustment when it breaks. It will be above the pedals and sticking out to the firewall. Worth a look.

Reply #2October 18, 2010, 09:21:35 am

superbro

• User+

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 09:21:35 am »
Mk1 caddy. If you mean the pice that the cable hooks to, it's all right. 

Reply #3October 18, 2010, 10:13:32 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 10:13:32 am »
The piece that the cable runs THROUGH on the firewall. I think you understand and we're talking about the same things, but you could be talking about the trans side. The Steering column peice is what I am talking. Mine didn't completely rip off either. It stress cracked and was like a spring. Everytime you pushed the pedal it would move and then come back.

I was thinking all the other things you have done seem like it should have fixed it. Maybe the arm in the trans needs messed with? I would email Brokevw...if anyone knows he will.

Reply #4October 18, 2010, 01:08:29 pm

superbro

• User+

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 01:08:29 pm »
Ok thanks for the tip.