S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: IP Dist seal-In car replacement?  (Read 3776 times)

October 09, 2010, 01:51:29 am

2strokesmoke

IP Dist seal-In car replacement?
« on: October 09, 2010, 01:51:29 am »
Hi guys,
Recently,I developed a fuel leak on my 82 Caddy 1.6NA
Appears to be leaking between IP body(aluminum) and Fuel distrubitor(cast iron).
Can this "O" ring be replaced,with IP still mounted on the engine? (so the IP timing doesn't have to be reset,belt tension ect..)
I looks like it can be done on the car,but I wanted to ask your opinions first. Has anyone here actually done this ?
I read in one of the threads,that the IP needs to be tilted with input shaft down and dist upward,to avoid the internal parts from dislocating. Is this true ? Or speculation?
It would be awsome,if I could do it on the car !
But I can't afford to ruin this pump. This is my daily driver and needs to be up and running agian ASAP !
Thanks in advance,Mike

Reply #1October 09, 2010, 03:16:54 am

2strokesmoke

Re: IP Dist seal-In car replacement?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 03:16:54 am »
Thanks Andrew !
I found the thread,where you describe the procedure using the spacer in the timing plug hole. I'll be doing just that,Sat afternoon.  How long of a spacer should I use ? I imagine I will need to retreive the spacer with a magnet,when finished ?
Thanks agian,Mike

Reply #2October 09, 2010, 11:24:53 pm

2strokesmoke

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 11:24:53 pm »
Thanks Andrew !  Your procedure worked like a charm ! No problems at all. Fuel leak is gone, I'm up and running agian ! Thanks for your help , Mike

Reply #3October 11, 2010, 12:50:12 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 12:50:12 am »
Gotta say Andrew you are one crafty mechanic.  So much help for all of us looking to save time and frustration.  Good on ya man!

DAS

S-PAutomotive.com