S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Just my luck, lost speedo gear in transmission. Please help.  (Read 10513 times)

October 06, 2010, 02:49:07 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
Just my luck, lost speedo gear in transmission. Please help.
« on: October 06, 2010, 02:49:07 am »
So i decided to quickly change my speedometer cable (mine was stretched badly) and it was a relatively quick job until i went to turn the car over to go catch a movie (i also changed all the lifters but im pretty sure that's irrelevant). So the solenoid clicked and it turned for a split second but nothing happened... after many minutes of checking gears and what not i decided to poke around the tranny. I pulled the speedo cable out only to find that the orange gear thing had fallen off when i was putting the new one in and was lost somewhere in there. I saw the tip of it (geared tip) and tried to fish it out with a screw driver only causing it to disappear. I started to panic and tried jamming my fingers in the speedo hole to try and get it out but can't feel it anywhere! only some gear teeth that turned the gear oil from brown to brown with streaks of blood red. Can't imagine where that came from? my fingers sure hurt though.

anyone have this happen?
advice?

I WAS supposed to be going on a lengthy road trip this weekend for thanksgiving... =(

Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #1October 06, 2010, 08:20:46 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Just my luck, lost speedo gear in transmission. Please help.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 08:20:46 am »
I know nothing.
Just so that is clear  ;D This is the page where my trans was rebuilt and has many pics. Maybe if you look at them you will see where it could be and possibly get it out.
Worst case I think there is only a small piece of metal that clips onto the cable*you probably didn't have it on as I don't see how you could lose one with it on* It may grind up just fine, the plastic won't hurt anything. But I would change the oil after you feel it crush or 500 miles or less.
http://www.brokevw.com/lucasags.html

Reply #2October 06, 2010, 09:03:32 am

rs899

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:03:32 am »
Does Broke document everyone's rebuild?  That's really cool beans.  I have rebuilt a couple of Triumph overdrive trannies , a Ford C-4 and Mercedes 722.315 slushboxes , but the 020 scares the crap out of me.  I hope I have a lifetime supply stashed away already.

Eddy, you might want to send an email to Broke as to how to fish that gear out.  My guess is that if it doesn't come out with a simple drain, it won't likely hurt anything (well it might hurt, but not kill it).  That's just a guess....
'91 Jetta 1.6 NA, '82 Caddy 1.6NA, '81 Cabriolet,  4 Mercedes OM616/617s , 2 Triumphs and a Citroen DS19 in a pear tree.

Reply #3October 06, 2010, 09:20:11 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 09:20:11 am »
Yep, Brain Mr. Brokevw does indeed document everything in the rebuild for everyone. That way you both know what was discussed and done. He told me it was so he wouldn't forget, but I think it was the nice way of him putting the blame on himself when it is guys like me who forget ;). Maybe he does actually forget, but I seriously doubt it...he is good. I can't say I ever had anyone do a more thorough job on anything I have ever let out for work.

Ed, I would think if you spent enough time you will be able to get it out. There isn't too much room and the drain plug is big so I would think you could roll the tires around until it put the gear on the bottom and fish it out. Good luck and study the split case pics and I bet you will figure something out.

Reply #4October 06, 2010, 10:01:31 am

rs899

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 10:01:31 am »
I think the gear is wider that the space between the ring gear and the drain hole, though... :o
'91 Jetta 1.6 NA, '82 Caddy 1.6NA, '81 Cabriolet,  4 Mercedes OM616/617s , 2 Triumphs and a Citroen DS19 in a pear tree.

Reply #5October 06, 2010, 03:21:31 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 03:21:31 pm »
Well it doesn't turn over...
I don't recall there ever being a metal clip to be honest. the gear just slid off and on... really frustrated me and probably should have given me reason to be concerned...
I really dug around there with my finger and i can't seem to feel it anywhere! :(
I have some transmission parts i was meaning to replace at some point but it started to loom as a way bigger job than i had anticipated and i needed the car back (the rebuild was taking too long).
I'll have a look at some pictures but I still don't see how i will get it out even once i know where it is... I would have figured there wasn't enough space to move around.

how big of a job would it be to pull the trans out and take it apart (just the two sections)?

I'll email broke vw too. thanks guys.
Ed
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #6October 06, 2010, 03:26:37 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 03:26:37 pm »
if my dad and grandpa can take and separate a VW 020 trans, then i think anyone should be able to.. and they are chevy people!

i told them both that they were crazy trying to separate an 020, but they had that thing separated and back together in like, an hour..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #7October 06, 2010, 03:39:20 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 03:39:20 pm »
I have had this happen. After a couple hours of fishing, I was finally able to get it out. I would not recommend leaving it in. It can get caught out in the shift forks and jam them. I used a long piece of residential ground wire with a hook shape on the end. I used this to get the gear into view. When I could see it, I used a three finger grabber tool to carefully pull it through the hole. I dropped it many times.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #8October 06, 2010, 08:48:48 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 08:48:48 pm »
if my dad and grandpa can take and separate a VW 020 trans, then i think anyone should be able to.. and they are chevy people!

i told them both that they were crazy trying to separate an 020, but they had that thing separated and back together in like, an hour..
holy jeeze. Can you tell me how they did it? did they use a crane? how heavy is the trans? could me and a friend lift it out (im thinking no)
I have had this happen. After a couple hours of fishing, I was finally able to get it out. I would not recommend leaving it in. It can get caught out in the shift forks and jam them. I used a long piece of residential ground wire with a hook shape on the end. I used this to get the gear into view. When I could see it, I used a three finger grabber tool to carefully pull it through the hole. I dropped it many times.
oh my word this is good news to me. Where did you have to pull it from? did it slide towards the bell housing? I have no idea where mine went. Did you fish through the speedo hole?
Ed

Reply #9October 06, 2010, 09:46:29 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 09:46:29 pm »
Me and a friend put the 1.6 and trans into my jetta with a chain and fence post. You should easily be able to lift your trans. It is lighter than the engine for sure.

Reply #10October 06, 2010, 10:45:50 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 10:45:50 pm »
The complete tall block was incredibly heavy. Like upwards of 200 pounds with everything on it. (pumps, brackets, alt ect.)
Im guessing it would be quite a bit of work to pull the whole thing though no? once i had it out i might be able to manouver it until the orange gear comes out? i'll try fishing with a hook some more though. and draining the gear oil. i've been meaning to.
Ed

Reply #11October 06, 2010, 10:48:53 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 10:48:53 pm »
Yes, I was able to fish it out through the speedo hole. Use the wire hook to sweep  for it. Tends to hide towards the front of the trans (ie. front of the car side).
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #12October 06, 2010, 10:55:21 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 10:55:21 pm »
I personally don't think the VW complete engine is heavy. Although I am fairly young *32* and stupid. When younger and even more dumb I carried a Ford 400 with a friend out of a barn and also lifted a SB chevy 350 onto an engine stand...those were freaking heavy.

Either way. I think you will have success with your gear. Follow Rally's instruction and drain that oil first and all should be well. Good luck.

Reply #13October 06, 2010, 10:59:10 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 10:59:10 pm »
Thanks =)
Ed

Reply #14October 07, 2010, 11:51:10 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 11:51:10 am »
Ed, i do all my clutch jobs by myself.. that includes wrestling with the 020, both out of and back into the car..

the easiest way is to set the trans under the car, directly under where it goes, then reach thru the car, and pick the trans off the ground and set it on the engine.. i can pack an 020 trans away with one hand. weighs like 70 lbs.

my dad and grandpa didnt need any very special tools, just something to take that huge plug out of the front of the shift fork assembly.. other than that it wasnt bad. oh yea.. 5th gear is really tight..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

S-PAutomotive.com