Author Topic: 90 TD - heats quick - not a lotta power  (Read 3404 times)

July 13, 2004, 07:02:42 am

Centurion

• Junior

90 TD - heats quick - not a lotta power
« on: July 13, 2004, 07:02:42 am »
Not original engine - Its the third engine I have had in the car.

Symptoms are - guages run high - when I run 3000 rpm in 5th its runs up and down between 1/2 and 3/4 - if I turn on my fan override switch and just run the rad fan all the time - it will push to the 3/4 if I run hard on a hill - long grade - but drops quickly.

This engine was suppose to be a rebuild - but I am begining to wonder.

It sounds like a Normally asp - sounds when the air box clips are off one side. makes me wonder if there is much boost getting into the machine -

The engine I pulled was 21 years old - and 8 years - 300,000 off its last rebuild - and it had more testosterone than this one.

I search here the last few days - looking over BOV's and the wastegate treatments.

I figure the first thing to do is make sure the Bov is not dumping boost before it even gets a chance to come on. I wonder this as I find it loosing a lotta pick-up when dropping gears.

BTW - I presume that you can tap the wastegate line with a standard T [1/8 th line ] and put in a guage to see if it is increasing or toasted.

[talking out loud - muttering while walking around the car]

your comments would be appreci.

Centurion

90 Jetta TD - 589,000km, 90 Jetta TD 448, FrankenJetta ...looking for a Can

Reply #1July 14, 2004, 05:14:41 am

Centurion

• Junior

90 TD - heats quick - not a lotta power
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 05:14:41 am »
Well - last night I checked the BOV and the wastegate. The Turbo looked fine and was spinning up. I pulled all the hoses off to get a look and check it.

There was no flow from the BOV into the air cleaner tube - clean hose - no oil - no crap.

The Hose off the valve cover had dumped a little oil - but no more than I usually expect to have flying around.

I took it for a test. Not much improvement.

Finally I just cut the wastegate line - and put a guage on the line off the compressor side. It moved the needle a couple times while I floored it.

I just plugged the wastgate lines - left the BOV intact for the moment until I have a spare clamp around. It looks a little rusted.

The last test - I hit a couple hills - seems to have more testos - but I did notice that it belched black smoke off the stop sign till things got rolling over 2000 rpm.

Thursday morning - I have an hour drive with 1000 lbs load on her - we'll see how she pulls it.

Thanks - I'l keep reading

Centurion
90 Jetta TD - 589,000km, 90 Jetta TD 448, FrankenJetta ...looking for a Can

Fixmyvw.com