Author Topic: Please help me identify this wire...  (Read 2095 times)

September 23, 2010, 09:19:00 pm

ventureforth

• Junior

Please help me identify this wire...
« on: September 23, 2010, 09:19:00 pm »
So, I had noticed that there was a connector identical to the one currently connected to Terminal 50 on my starter (this is on an '82 Rabbit 1.6NA).  I was curious as to what it was?

The reason I'm curious is that if I connect it to the terminal perpendicular to Terminal 50, with Terminal 50 connected as it should be, and I connect the battery, the Rabbit will start.  Instant hot-wire.  I know because I thought I had accidentally disconnected it while changing a motor mount, and plugged it back in, since it made so much sense that it should be connected, being located so near that terminal and having the same connector and since there was an empty terminal perpendicular to Terminal 50. 

Basically, the wire connected to Terminal 50 goes back towards the motor and is part of the bundle of wires connected to the various parts of the motor and its accessories.  The loose wire that is currently just dangling travels towards the battery.  Should this wire be connected to anything?  I can't find anything about it in the Bentley.  I can't imagine there is a useless wire just hanging about for fun.  On the other hand, nothing seems to be lacking functionality in my Rabbit.

So...?

Reply #1September 23, 2010, 09:22:14 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Please help me identify this wire...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 09:22:14 pm »
I am just stabbing here, but if it has a/c my MK2 jetta had a thermal shutdown for the a/c and I can't figure it out. I know the wire is there and looks similar to the seliniod. Is it keyed power or all power?
Pics are usualy best, but the wiring on these cars could be an entire site I swear.

Reply #2September 23, 2010, 09:33:55 pm

ventureforth

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 09:33:55 pm »
It is an all-time power thing.  The key was no where near the ignition.  I had connected it, as I mentioned, and then re-connected the negative terminal to fire her up and see if there was any rattle from the new mount.  The moment the negative battery cable touched its post, the engine started to turn over.

I'll try to get pics, but it's pretty tight down there and hard to see.

Reply #3September 24, 2010, 12:39:57 pm

ventureforth

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 12:39:57 pm »
I believe the wires are for the horn, as I've discovered that horn was not hooked up.  Funny thing is, I seem to have two horns (a smaller one and a larger one), which seems to be normal per my research, but only two wires not being used.  From my research, it looks like both horns should get power and ground.  Is there a logical reason I would only have enough wiring for one of the horns?

Reply #4September 24, 2010, 06:05:20 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 06:05:20 pm »

This is mine IIRC. It is a jumper thing that goes from horn to horn. only foot and a half long or so...you maybe missing that piece.

Reply #5September 24, 2010, 06:35:46 pm

ventureforth

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 06:35:46 pm »
Looks like I was wrong.  Neither wire reaches either horn.  One is black with gold stripe (the one nearest the battery).  One is black or dark grey with a white or light grey stripe (the on closest to the passenger saide)