S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: How do I turn the headlights on??  (Read 3846 times)

December 24, 2005, 09:27:54 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

How do I turn the headlights on??
« on: December 24, 2005, 09:27:54 pm »
I know this is a really stupid question, but I can't get the headlights to turn on... 1990 GTI 8 valve, that I've ripped the ECU and gas engine out of and am putting in a 1.6NA diesel.  

The highbeams work when you pull the turn signal lever towards you.  But how do you turn the headlights on?  Am I missing a switch here? (there is something missing just to the left of the speedometer).  Or are they tied in with the ignition somehow like on Subarus?  Right now alot of stuff tied in with the ignition is not coming on (like the radio says safe mode and won't turn on).  But still shouldn't there be a headlight switch?

'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #1December 25, 2005, 03:26:56 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
headlights
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 03:26:56 am »
Yep it's the switch that fits in the hole to the left of the speedo.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #2December 25, 2005, 04:17:03 am

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 04:17:03 am »
And the radio says safe mode because you need a code to unlock it after the battery was disconnected. It's an anti-theft thing.

Reply #3December 25, 2005, 10:31:26 am

zyewdall

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 10:31:26 am »
Hmmm.  So the PO just swiped the headlight switch when he sold it to me...    :roll:  And I thought perhaps there was some special trick with volkswagens.

Any ideas for how to get the radio working again since I don't have the code?  Dealer maybe?
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #4December 25, 2005, 02:08:11 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 02:08:11 pm »
The dealer is probably your best bet although they still may not be able to help you. It might make a good excuse to get an MP3 player though  :D

If you've got the manual for the car then look through there.

Reply #5December 25, 2005, 03:22:16 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2005, 03:22:16 pm »
Quote from: "zyewdall"
Hmmm.  So the PO just swiped the headlight switch when he sold it to me...    :roll:  And I thought perhaps there was some special trick with volkswagens.

Any ideas for how to get the radio working again since I don't have the code?  Dealer maybe?

Looks like he swiped the volume knob from your radio too :lol: but you can still use it. Yes, you need to give the radio's serial # to the dealer and they'll give you the code. The radio must be partially pulled out of your dashboard for the serial # to be viewable. The dealer has the special tool that hooks into the 4 holes at the corners of the radio to pull it out.

It's been over a year but this is likely how you enter the 4-digit code:

1) Turn key to "on" position to turn on radio, which will show "SAFE" in its display like you've seen before.

2) Simultaneously hold down Mode and Scan buttons for several seconds until you see a flashing display followed by "0000"

3) Press buttons 1 to 4 to enter the 4-digit code. Button 1 represents the first digit code, repeatedly press that button until you get the desired number.

4) After you have entered the 4-digit code, hold down Mode & Scan again for several seconds. The radio should unlock and be operational. Safe mode will not return until your car battery is disconnected or your radio power is disconnected.

If you enter the code incorrectly 2, 3, or 4 times, the radio will lock itself for perhaps 24 hours. You will not be able to retry the code until the lockdown has expired. I highly recommend unlocking the radio while you're at the dealer (it only takes a couple minutes) because if you have problems the dealer can help you.

Write down your 4-digit code!!! Discreetly write it in the back of your owner's manual, or write it on a piece of paper and paperclip it to the owner's manual. You can "encrypt" the code by embedding random letters (just pull the 4 numbers out to decrypt!) and a theif will not identify it if he steals your radio.
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #6December 25, 2005, 07:01:25 pm

mortskeg

• Junior

• http://www.vwcaddy.com
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 07:01:25 pm »
I want to say that you'd be looking at 60-100 for one of those new headlight switches, as I had to replace one on my wifes' old '90 jetta.  I think they are still plentiful at the wreckers; however, it is not uncommon for these switches to fail like they did on hers and on my audi.  I've never had a problem with the rabbit switches though.

If you find that you don't have the proper radio puller (they can be bought for pretty cheap) you can use 4 proper sized nails in the holes to release the radio, just apply a small amount of outward pressure on the nails as you slide the radio out.

Good luck.

Reply #7December 27, 2005, 01:01:34 pm

Blades

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 01:01:34 pm »
Quote from: "mortskeg"
 I think they are still plentiful at the wreckers; however, it is not uncommon for these switches to fail like they did on hers and on my audi.

Get 1-2 at the wreckers, like 5$ for 2 :)

Mine failed after 13 years and 270000km.

You want a 90.5-92 (big bumpers) as they have the DRL (front and back)