Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Project 1.9L 1Y diesel turbo complete :)  (Read 6164 times)

December 24, 2005, 01:55:34 am

Staley

• Junior

• http://www.bartuning.com
Project 1.9L 1Y diesel turbo complete :)
« on: December 24, 2005, 01:55:34 am »
7 months ago I started working on a T3 turbo kit for my Rabbit in the evenings after work and then got busy and put off the car for WAY too long. Last week I decided it was long overdue and finished the turbo kit.
here are some details. ( I could have made this kit in about a 4 days if I really worked at it DAMN.

*1.9L NA 1Y diesel
(I pulled the pan for the drain install and verified that it indeed does have piston oil squirters)

*Garrett T3 Super 60 turbocharger

*Giles turbo injecton pump

*ATP turbo manifold that I ceramic coated

*D port intake that I ceramic coated.

*custom downpipe and Techtonics 2.5" stainlessexhaust with a Borla muffler.

*Serpentine belt conversion.

ITS ALIVE!

I finished the car on Thursday night and took it for a spin.
My water to air intercooler has not arrived so I do not have an intercooler on it.
The turbo lags quite a bit unless you slip the clutch on the start. I made a second and third pull at 12 psi (wastegate spring pressure)
and then this LOUD knock...knock..knock sound happened and the engine started to run VERY bad.. cylinder 3 was the problem cylinder.
The engine would start to run away if you gave it some gas. If I cracked the injector line at the #3 injector the knock went away.
I assumed that I had a problematic injector and went home. jeez.. they only sat on my toolbox for 6 months HA!
This morning I took the injector out and sure enough there was some dirt on the pintle and it was sticking open. the knock sound was a
overfueling of that cylinder. Cleaned the injector and the Rabbit HAULS!
okay so now I was on a mission of finding a boostvalve in the shop somewhere.
I dug around and came up with one and installed it. I guessed at 20 psi with the adjustment and be dammed got it right on first time.
MY FREAKIN RABBIT HAULS ARSE! If you roll into second gear then the turbo spools it will spin the tires right at the top of second.
I played around on the beltway tonight...
If you nail it in first you can peg the speedo really fast (85MPH)
the car idles and runs really smooth and is smoke free until you make boost then... better watch out cause you gonna SERIOUSLY
fog the person out behind you.. heheehh (its not all that.... bad )
When I get the intercooler installed I am going to the 1/4 mile track!
and there is a dyno dynamics dyno here in Houston so I will get a real accurate dyno soon.
I have a feeling it is as fast as a chipped 1.8T
I have some pictures but left the laptop at the shop so I can't upload them until next week.
catcha later
Mike
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Here is the link to some of the pictures from an earlier post
http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1317&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Houston's APR Distributor
www.bartuning.com

Reply #1December 24, 2005, 08:41:44 am

jwspin

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 08:41:44 am »
what are the specs on that turbo? may want to try a .42 hot side to help with that lag.

-jared

Reply #2December 24, 2005, 11:45:33 am

Maarten

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 11:45:33 am »
I'd like to see some figures on that setup  8)
Audi A3 TDI '98
VW cabby '79
VW T3 1.9TD '91

S-PAutomotive.com