Author Topic: 020 transmission... Play on output shaft/drive shaft  (Read 3571 times)

August 22, 2010, 11:12:36 pm

trev

• Junior

020 transmission... Play on output shaft/drive shaft
« on: August 22, 2010, 11:12:36 pm »
Awright. Gotta get to and from work, so trying to diagnose, without ripping it apart to look for causes...

Would appreciate any help.

Trans started acting a bit weird. Getting some resistance to coming out of gear, like when I am trying to downnshift, now needs a firmer hand to pull the shifter out of fifth to downshift.

Some oil at the output seal, drivers side.

But the bug in the works is the side play on the same side. Which would explain the oil, well enough.

Been trying to figure out if there is something that can have backed off, that may rectify, or if there is something terminal going on that would leave me looking at a trans swap.

I have a spare, but it is buried in a friend's shop, and I cannot access it to have a look at the general arrangement, and I'm not really in the mood to crawl under the car in the rain...

Anyone got a good picture that shows the way that drive flange is retained in the trans? Is there a bolt or ring nut that may have backed off that I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Cheers
  Trev

Reply #1August 22, 2010, 11:58:23 pm

Turftech

• Junior

Re: 020 transmission... Play on output shaft/drive shaft
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 11:58:23 pm »

Trans started acting a bit weird. Getting some resistance to coming out of gear, like when I am trying to downnshift, now needs a firmer hand to pull the shifter out of fifth to downshift.

Sounds like the clutch. 

Is there a bolt or ring nut that may have backed off that I should be looking for?

There is a circlip that retains the flange to the final drive.  No way of "tightening" it.  The case itself is probably worn where the bearings are.  Common problem.  I'd look into grabbing your other box.  You can change the gear oil to a "heavier" one.  I did that and got another 120'000 kms. before it started leaking real bad.  Unfortunately, this isn't a simple fix.  You will have to disassemble the gearcase to fix it right.  Try the following for lots more info  http://www.brokevw.com/
'90 Jetta GL TD  570'000 Kms and counting (Gave her to a friend)
'92 Passat G60 Syncro Wagon 180'000kms. TDI conversion project
'87 Jetta Coupe 325'000kms. MF IDI conversion project

Reply #2August 23, 2010, 08:49:55 am

trev

• Junior

Re: 020 transmission... Play on output shaft/drive shaft
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 08:49:55 am »
Thanks for the link. Bookmarked! Lotsa good info there!

Trans swap here I come.....Ugh. Well, I'll do some more homework, and a little exploratory prodding and poking around.<sigh> Sweat equity. The price of being cheap! :D

At least it's not winter!

Cheers
 Trev