Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: OM617 Carnage Pics  (Read 5712 times)

August 22, 2010, 07:33:43 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

OM617 Carnage Pics
« on: August 22, 2010, 07:33:43 pm »
Yep, that's right..  After convincing a buddy that these things are hell to kill he bought it, and it died.. THe vehicle in question is an '85 300TDT (Wagon) Sporting about 237,000 miles..  Well kept it seemed other than a little rust on the rear wheel wells..  The darned thing ran tip top..  Power & economy was right up to snuff..  Smooth, Quiet, No leaks, started great..  Friday night a group of is were off to dinner, just accelerated onto the highway and backed off to cruise at 70mph..  Then it chattered twice and POOF, loss of power and huge plume of smoke..  Pulled off the road shut her down and called AAA for the tow.. The response from the AAA operator and the tow guy were both along the lines of "How in the heck did you blow one of those up?"

Enjoy:

#3 Combustion Chamber

#5 Combustion Chamber

#3 Exhaust Valve

#3 Piston

I'd say either the injectors were shot, or the PO waited too long to replace them.. They look fairly clean like they have been replaced at some point so I'm guessing the latter as it ran excellent till this....   

#3 chamber blew apart and toasted the #3 exhaust valve..   Piston looks unscathed.. I haven't gotten the turbo apart yet, but I fear it's crap now as well (Lots of oil where there shouldn't have been).. #5 cyl looks okay other than the chunk missing from the chamber..

Reply #1August 23, 2010, 02:05:46 am

bajacalal

Re: OM617 Carnage Pics
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 02:05:46 am »
I saw one of those blow up once. I was driving my Jeep Cherokee on I-5 and an old 300D next to me started smoking real bad, made a horrible racket, then I saw a connecting rod go flying past my passenger window. I'm not kidding, what was left of the connecting rod actually shot through the engine and was launched into the air. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen on the road and I've spent a lot of time on Mexican highways.

I'm sure the engine would have gone another 200,000 miles if the owner was actually trying to keep it alive.

Reply #2August 23, 2010, 02:38:29 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 02:38:29 am »
Neat!!!   IF only you could have had a video camera ready for that one!    I really expected to find a valve head jambed in a piston, or half a piston missing on this one..   I guess he was lucky...

I finally got the hair dryer disected on this one.. I think it lived.. No signs of anything contacting the housing or the wheels

Reply #3August 23, 2010, 02:22:36 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 02:22:36 pm »
We had one of those blow the core out of a glow plug  on the way up a hill.
Shoved the core back in, wedged it w/ a block of wood on the oil filter housing, and limped home.
Doesn't look like yours fared so well.

Reply #4August 23, 2010, 03:38:39 pm

honda_is_the_best

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 03:38:39 pm »
valve head peeking out, just to say "hi"!

this rods almost straight enough to use. lol. notice the cracks in the piston? and the notch already there for the oil squirter!

Another picture (better) of the rod, after losing the valve. i cant believe it bent so much, but didnt hurt the crank at all.

and finally, a picture of the head and all that fun stuff.. i wonder what the guy was thinking when this happened?

sorry for the threadjack brett, just wanted to share my wall hangers with the world!
VW it aint just a car, its a way of life..... Boost, Soot, Repeat

Reply #5August 24, 2010, 12:17:21 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 12:17:21 am »
Not a problem..    Carnage pics are always fun..  Even moreso when they are not yours!  Something like that is what I was expecting to find in this Benz..  Luck prevailed so far..   What the block damaged in that blowout? I had an 84 Jetta TD drop a valve and so similar things..  Not a friggen mark on the cylinder..
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:20:07 am by maxfax »

Reply #6August 24, 2010, 01:18:54 pm

honda_is_the_best

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 01:18:54 pm »
tore the engine down to a bare block, crank still turned wonderfully. extracted that mangled piston/rod, inspected the cylinder, had a TINY score that i couldnt catch a finger nail on.. honed all the cylinders, went down to grandpas and grabbed a 1.5 piston/rod/rings from some unknown engine.. threw it together.. its sitting in my bedroom. its the last engine i had in my black rabbit. i put probably 15k miles on it in that car after i put it back together.

usually when something gets this mangled, the rest of the engine is toast too.

this is almost as bad as your crack-addicted 11mm block..  ;D
VW it aint just a car, its a way of life..... Boost, Soot, Repeat

Reply #7October 05, 2010, 07:38:36 am

Henchman

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 07:38:36 am »
Well, it appears that the engine is litterally "bullet proof", but that doesn't mean that *** can happen.  If that had been a VW diesel (as you can see from the pics, and I have seen many times), there's usually no option short of a full rebuild, which usually doesn't make sense because the head is so busted up....
Under way - 1991 Passat Syncro Wagon w/m-tdi

1991 Passat GL Wagon w/AAZ conversion (now using engine/tranny from 1993 Passat

1993 Passat GL 1.9 Diesel (RIP 385k km, engine, tranny, clutch all original)

Reply #8October 06, 2010, 03:35:27 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 03:35:27 pm »
Shucks, and here I thought I'd get to see pics of R.O.R.  and ex-forum member OM617 beating the crap out of each other...   ;D

i would pay money to see that..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Fixmyvw.com