S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Is there a Heavy Duty P/S engine mount available for MK1 ??  (Read 4571 times)

August 15, 2010, 01:40:04 am

2strokesmoke

Is there a Heavy Duty P/S engine mount available for MK1 ??
« on: August 15, 2010, 01:40:04 am »
Hello agian !  I'm happy to report, I finally have my 82 Caddy 1.6NA on the road and it's doing quite well..except for the "new" passenger side engine mount !  :(
It was actually nice and smoothe and quite,in the cabin.
I bought the mount from autohauz (and yes i installed it correctly  :)  )  But it failed within a week. Not looking forward to replacing it agian.
Does anyone offer a well made P/S eng mount,that will last ?
I would rather stay away from a poly mount( ratteling my dash apart)
BTW, I performed many of the IP mods on this truck,with nice results !
One thing I wasn't quite expecting : The torque range seems to have moved up. I have found that power in the lower RPM's to be poor,while a nice increase in the midrange. I just needed to change my driving style,to accomidate. Seems like it starts pulling good somewhere between 2000-2500 RPM. (Guessing- No tach) I remember driving my old rabbits and not revving them up quite as high.
First week produced over 50 MPG..so I can't complain !
Thanks for all your help !

Reply #1August 15, 2010, 11:46:24 am

Fisher

• Junior

Re: Is there a Heavy Duty P/S engine mount available for MK1 ??
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:46:24 am »
Tectonics Tuning in Sheridan, Oregon sells nice heavy duty Mounts.

Reply #2August 15, 2010, 02:39:41 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 02:39:41 pm »
I don't know what the concensus is on these as I haven't ran them, but here links

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Rabbit/Performance/143/1

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Rabbit/Performance/142/1

I would see if autohaus had a bad run or something. Maybe they could make it right with you?

Reply #3August 16, 2010, 10:17:38 pm

2strokesmoke

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 10:17:38 pm »
Thanks for the input !
I just ordered  a HD Engine mount set,from TT,should be here in time for the weekend.
What do you guys think ?
Should I add the poly inserts to the mounts,from german auto parts ?
I imagine the inserts would really extend the life of the mounts.
But will the inserts allow too much vibration to be transmitted to the body?  (1.6NA in a 81 Caddy)
Will the HD Mounts from TT hold up for a long time ?
Your input is greatly appreciated !

Reply #4August 17, 2010, 09:40:05 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 09:40:05 pm »
I've been running a poly front and rear mount with regular ole mounts on the passenger and driver side..   The vibration isn't terribly bad and the 2 side mounts have been holding up great (they were cheapo Advance Autoparts mounts too). I suspect they seem to be living longer since the engine isn't rocking as much..   Or else I'm just lucky..

Reply #5August 18, 2010, 12:29:25 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 12:29:25 am »
I've been running a poly front and rear mount with regular ole mounts on the passenger and driver side..   The vibration isn't terribly bad and the 2 side mounts have been holding up great (they were cheapo Advance Autoparts mounts too). I suspect they seem to be living longer since the engine isn't rocking as much.. Or else I'm just lucky..

Weird, I put in the rear mount and it vibrated soooooo bad I couldn't let it idle. Pulled it off the same day and put the front mount on, it still rattles just not near as bad........I told myself I'd put the stock one back on but that was over a month ago............
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #6August 18, 2010, 01:13:45 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 01:13:45 am »
It does vibrate more than the rubber mount, but I didn't think it was terrible.. Then again my comparison was to all bad mounts, then all poly mounts..  All poly was BRUTAL! The CD player skipped and things literally started fall out of the dash...

Reply #7August 20, 2010, 11:20:43 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 11:20:43 pm »
My junk Chinese FEQ pass side, that looks identical to the pic of the HD one on TT's side for some reason, has 10K miles on it now and is fine.  Not having oil leaking on them helps, having all the other mounts in good order helps too.  This is actually the first time I've not had the dash rattle at idle with a stock idle speed in years.  If the FEQ's don't do 50K I'll start complaining about em.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #8August 21, 2010, 02:51:37 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 02:51:37 am »
Just a thought here, I bought one of the "5 spoke" pass mounts and filled the whole thing with silicone so now it looks like a blob of silicone with a bolt hole through it. My plan was to make it last longer but now I'm thinkin' it'll be too solid and vibrate even worse. Wadaya think?
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Fixmyvw.com