S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Where to find: rubber (carpet) for pickup  (Read 3326 times)

December 18, 2005, 03:47:07 am

jlmissouri

Where to find: rubber (carpet) for pickup
« on: December 18, 2005, 03:47:07 am »
Does anyone know where I can find a fitted rubber piece instead of carpet for an 81 truck. I am not looking for mats, but a complete replacement for the carpet, like in old Fords. Thanks,

Reply #1December 18, 2005, 12:24:08 pm

Master ACiD

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 12:24:08 pm »
do what i did. pull out the old carpet. clean the area really well, and go to a RHINO LININGS place. they have a spray on urethane bed liner for pick up truck beds.

i got them to spray the whole damn inside of the car from the windows down and they charge me only as much as a ford ranger pickup bed.
it was like $175.  they use tape to mask off things like gas petal, e-brake and such.

spray everything down. man the stuff works good.,

Reply #2December 29, 2005, 07:40:05 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 07:40:05 am »
I have been thinking of doing thats my self..what did you were the seat brakets cross across th ecar or th efloor seat rails..not much clearnce there for a thick coating...also the arm studs are accessable from the front floor holes under th etar..i alwasy detar my vws and cheack the rust status..then use carpet with out the jeet under it ie jsut bare carpet over it ..it never fits too well but at least i know there is no rot under it ..did you de tar yours before the rhino lining ?

and pics..im about to that stage with my rabbit pick up now..goit teh tdi in gotta do the gauage wiring  etc tommarrow ..so it should eb ready fro carpet and seats soon..thanks
Deo

Reply #3January 09, 2006, 02:14:07 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 02:14:07 pm »
On the german made base model and some very early "custom" model Rabbits, there was supposedly an OEM 2-piece rubber mat covering the floor instead of carpeting.

The part number for the front piece, although not available anymore, is:
  171 863 713 G 041 (for manual transmission)
  171 863 713 H 041 (for automatic transmission)

These are probably very difficult to find used due to their rarity... I don't think I've ever even seen one in person.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits