S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 85 td jetta rebuild w/ n/a td swap  (Read 1555 times)

August 07, 2010, 01:30:30 am

12secvx

85 td jetta rebuild w/ n/a td swap
« on: August 07, 2010, 01:30:30 am »
 Well I thought I would share my not so new project as my first post here. I am going to start by saying very helpful site if you own a vdub diesel. I have only owned my 92 n/a golf for about a year now but have been working on it alot and learning about vw diesels. I am  toyota tech. so am not new to wrenching but still have alot to learn about vw's.
 My new project is a 85 td jetta that really doen't have alot of rust but has no motor or trans. that I bought from a friend that didn't want to see it go to the crusher. It does though need a lot of cleaning up. I took on this project because my 92 golf which was a n/a that I converted to a turbo. I used a T3 manifold off of ebay with a ihi of a 88 ford turbo coupe  that i had laying around not the most genuis set up but it does work it has been running for about a year @ 10 psi of boost. With really no problems knock on wood. Up until last month I had a n/a pump on it just with the fuel screw turn a little bit kind of a poor mans ecodiesel. Until the front seal in that pump started leaking. Then i took another n/a pump and made a poor mans td pump with a lda top and a 1.9 cam plate it works pretty good for what it is. My turbo is super slow spooling though. Only 15 psi with the new pump @ full throttle and about 5 psi @ 75 mph on the highway. It does also have 2.5in straight pipe from the turbo back and a volvo oil cooler. The plan is to take the motor out of the golf freshen it up rering, metal head gasket and install it in the jetta. All because the golf is about to fall apart from rust lh shock tower already has a repair job i had to do last winter. well I will keep this updated as I get more done. Here are a lot of pics of both of the cars.

Reply #1August 07, 2010, 01:32:56 am

12secvx

Re: 85 td jetta rebuild w/ n/a td swap
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 01:32:56 am »
Sorry for the large pics I resized all of them but only 1 got resized.

Fixmyvw.com