Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Video of First start up on a brand new motor.... what gives! (WITH VIDEO)  (Read 12253 times)

August 02, 2010, 08:16:09 pm

jpedro

• Junior

Hey guys. This is my 1990 Vw Jetta 1.6L TD that i just did a complete rebuild on. any how to the point of my story, everything in it is brand new. i got it all put together today and set up the timming like i have done a few times before checked everything over. well went to start it and for some odd reason i thought i should get a video of it well that was sorta worth it cause now someone might have an idea as to what the sound was. everything still turns over nicely. so if its something major im scrapping this car so if theres parts any of you need ill sell cheap. theres many new parts and i have lots of extra good old parts to. but heres the video see what you all figure.........

Jpedro

video:   

1990 VW Jetta 1.6L TD 235000kms Custom cold air intake and Custom 3" straight pipe

1992 Ford F250 7.3L IDI custom everything you can possibly think of. ( my braging rights are live with this toy)

Reply #1August 02, 2010, 10:00:25 pm

745 turbogreasel

Was the bang it shutting off? I had one do that after running for half an hour with a bad injector, and it burned into the water jacket.

Reply #2August 02, 2010, 10:05:16 pm

rabbid79

• Veteran

Was it a tool or a fastener falling down into the timing belt or the intake?
'15 WRX
Parts for 2.0 TD build - Now looking for suitable car to put it in.

Reply #3August 03, 2010, 12:18:56 am

kingler5

• User+

Hey man, don't give up so easily!

Can you turn the crank clockwise by hand with a ratchet? If not take the timing belt off and see if the pump, crankshaft, and camshaft turn by hand.

Reply #4August 03, 2010, 12:35:20 am

jpedro

• Junior

Everyything spins freely with timming belt. There was no tools around and everything was done properly im stumped. Ive had no luck with this unit. To much money and no gain. Why would it bang n shut down instantly like this when my t belt broke it didnt even sound that bad. Actuallyy sounded just like a stall from being in high gear goin slow
1990 VW Jetta 1.6L TD 235000kms Custom cold air intake and Custom 3" straight pipe

1992 Ford F250 7.3L IDI custom everything you can possibly think of. ( my braging rights are live with this toy)

Reply #5August 03, 2010, 12:50:49 am

kingler5

• User+

If everything spins freely around more than two revolutions, check your intake and exhaust for restrictions or anything amiss.

If you find nothing then make sure your fuel cut solenoid is working, listen for the click.

If that is good, try starting again, and see what happens. Go slow and observe everything you can.

Are you missing any tools?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 12:53:47 am by kingler5 »

Reply #6August 03, 2010, 01:38:25 am

jpedro

• Junior

Lol no im not missing any tools and as far as restrictions there is 0 and i dont know if the fuel solienoid clicks where do i listen for that i think ill set the timming again and re try it

Reply #7August 03, 2010, 02:05:09 am

kingler5

• User+

The fuel cut solenoid is on the back of the injection pump right above where all the fuel lines come out. On most old pumps it is the only part that has an electrical wire going to it. When your turn the key it should go "click". It might be easier for you to test it by running a little wire from the + on your battery to the top of the solenoid where the electrical connection goes. Just touch it to it and you should hear it. When it has power to it, it retracts and allows the motor to run, when your turn off the key, it cuts the power to that solenoid and the spring tenses up and a rubber stopper comes down and stops fuel flowing which stops the engine running.

Make sure your timing is good. Make sure your camshaft sprocket is not loose. And make sure your tension is good. Not too tight, should be able to flex 45° if you twist it side to side.

As long as you can rotate the engine several turns by hand, and everything is tight and timed, don't be afraid to try cranking again, but pay attention, make another video too.

And for the heck of it, give us a brief synopsis of what all you did, and the order in which you did it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 02:06:47 am by kingler5 »

Reply #8August 03, 2010, 02:26:20 am

jpedro

• Junior

Ok, ill have to check the fuel shut off tomorrow. but that doesnt explain the snapping stop.... but anyways 1st we got the timming belt wrapped around everything and installed the other belts roughly. then i TDC the injector pump. 2nd lined up the crank at TDC by aligning the two triangles threw the sight hole 3rd i flattend the two lobes on the cam to TDC and locked the cam. slide on the timming belt made sure it was sitting everywhere in the grooves properly and adjusted the tension so you could rotate around 45* so after everything was all tightened down i went threw everything took everything out that needed to be removed triple checked the timming again and went ahead and cycled the GP's and cranked away. took a bit as there was no prime on the fuel system. once it was running it all sounded good for a few seconds and then all of a suddon pop and stoped. so i tryed to turn the engine over at the crank with a ratchet and it wouldnt go very much so i took of the T belt and tried the crank again it went around many times nice and easly. the injector pump was nice feeling and also was the cam all the lifters went up and down freely without sticking or anything odd. at this time i was so mad i just stopped cause id get to pi**ed off and reck something more. so im thinking about retimming it and trying again and see what happens. Hopefully its nothing major, as i have so much money and time into this sucker id be sad to scrap it like i said im going to. seeing as engines are impossible to find here. and i dont see me rebuilding it all over again. what do you think.... if its easier for any of you to contact me fast send me a txt message on my cell phone im easier to get ahold of on there as im not on here every few hours.  my number is 1-250-975-1101 and im Joe. and if i missed anything on here im sure (Thezorn) will chime in he was here helping me set the timming and get it running. thanks for your help again guys.

Reply #9August 03, 2010, 02:32:13 am

jpedro

• Junior

So i decided id go and check out the fuel solenoid and it seems to be ok turned the key on and pulled the wire off and put it back on and it does click.

Reply #10August 03, 2010, 03:01:41 am

truckinwagen

• Veteran

have you confirmed good oil pressure?

when I started the G60 diesel for the first time it had the wrong oil pump in it, so it had no oil pressure.

it would start and run for a bit and then come to a very abrupt stop, and would only restart after it cooled.

I replaced the oil pump with the right one, and changed the main and rod bearings, only to find that the damage to the bearings was so slight that I could have just replaced the oil pump and run it with the old bearings in it(this is after a combined 10 minutes of running with no oil!)

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #11August 03, 2010, 03:06:41 am

Luckypabst

• Veteran

so i tryed to turn the engine over at the crank with a ratchet and it wouldnt go very much so i took of the T belt and tried the crank again it went around many times nice and easly.  

I don't believe the engine would ever turn one complete revolution with the timing belt removed. Do I understand the statement above correctly?  Did you also rotate the cam by hand at the same time as the crank?

Chris
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:09:45 am by Luckypabst »
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

Reply #12August 03, 2010, 11:38:30 am

Rabbit on Roids

vw diesels are supposed to be interference.. so that means that they aint supposed to turn over unless they got the belt.

Reply #13August 03, 2010, 12:33:11 pm

kingler5

• User+

so i tryed to turn the engine over at the crank with a ratchet and it wouldnt go very much so i took of the T belt and tried the crank again it went around many times nice and easly.  

I don't believe the engine would ever turn one complete revolution with the timing belt removed. Do I understand the statement above correctly?  Did you also rotate the cam by hand at the same time as the crank?

Chris

When the camshaft is in TDC can't the crank rotate freely b/c all the valves are closed?

And likewise if you have the crank positioned with all 4 cylinders halfway, you can turn the camshaft all around b/c none of the valves will touch the pistons?

I think I have done this.

Reply #14August 03, 2010, 12:54:51 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

I don't have the ability to view videos so just shooting from the hip on some stuff.

Did you pre-pressurize the oiling system before trying to crank/run the engine ? You can do this by removing the vac pump - and running a drill with a 13mm socket attached - in Clockwise direction - on the oilpump stub shaft. If you don't have an adapter to put a socket on a drill - you could use an impact wrench on its lowest setting.

I'm guessing you didn't prime the oil as mentioned above.
Maybe it ran on assembly lube and died out before the oiling system was up to full snuff. Sort of like truckinwagens experience.

Its also possible that it simutaneously caught an air pocket in the fuel system since you didn't prime it either.

I would get the timing coordinates back in order.
Pull a full prime on the return side of the inj pump.
Prime oil system - with valve cover off - until all lifters are oiling.

Then give him another go at it.