Author Topic: 97 PSD Auto to Manual swap?  (Read 3398 times)

July 29, 2010, 12:19:09 am

745 turbogreasel

97 PSD Auto to Manual swap?
« on: July 29, 2010, 12:19:09 am »
Kinda OT, but has anyone here done this before?

I know it is nothing new, and a lot of people on the web say it is easy, but I haven't found a lot of specifics, especially  with regard to wiring.

What I have;
1997 F250 4x4 xcab longbed Powerstroke auto 190K mi
Auction car, been wheeled and repossessed.  Has some suspension damage.  Open downpipe exhaust ;D
  Repo truck tore the ebrake cable back so far it just about locked up one brake.  After fixing that, I drove 300 miles home.
It ran OK, seemed to shift fine, but blinked the OD light (that's check engine for the tranny) all the way.  At some point on the drive, It decided to blow a lot of tranny fluid out the front of the trans, but the axle was dry before I started my trip.
It had codes stored for crank sensor, and torque converter slip.  Cleared em, and did a drive cycle... no codes set, but it did die at idle once.
I figure the  cranks sensor is bad, the TCC is starting to slip, the front seal is wasted...and the trans may need a rebuild.

Truck #2
This truck is a 1996 F350 reg cab longbed 4x4 manual.
Out of state truck, reconstructed title as it was rolled slowly in the woods, and rebuilt with another cab.  Possibly means no back fees.
The cab and interior are poor, tailgate wasted, bed not great.  Seems to run well, the guy I got it from said great, he drove it a few thousand miles at leas, and said he loved the truck, but he has a new one now.  Anyway  this truck makes horrendous noises from the clutch/flywheel  all the time, and slips if you try to beat on it.

The plan;
Longbed 250 get trans, pedals, and ECU from the 350, South bend DMF eliminator clutch set.
Air assist bags from the350, nice shocks
F350 springs, solid axle, and steering linkage from the Pitman arm down
Some nice seats out of a plush Bronco if I can find one in the yard.
The stock downpipe looks like a terrible design, I may try to get rid of that.
F350 may go back together downgraded to 250 status with some stock replacement parts in the autobox, or maybe better just to part it out.

This truck has to have a bit of a split personality, as it needs to live at the end of a dirt road, make 4 hour highway trips, do some medium hauling(under 10K loads), and occasionally it will be asked to go above and beyond, probably in terrible conditions.

Puzzles;
It seems if you don't swap wiring harnesses, you have to reset codes form time to time, but how much of a PITA is it to get the harness out?
Looks like the rear driveshaft will have to be lengthened.
I might have to cut the tranny hump out of the stick?
Unknown???
If someone knows a great writeup, or has done this, point me the right way.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:21:18 am by 745 turbogreasel »

Reply #1July 29, 2010, 08:28:16 am

catlin_cava

• Veteran

Re: 97 PSD Auto to Manual swap?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 08:28:16 am »
I've done Auto to Standard Swap in a MK3 and it was easy enought. Friends of mine have done it thou with a 1995 F150, They dropped the transmission and removed the flywheel added the clutch set up and pedal assembly then Cut a hole in the floor for the shifter, then put it back together.

Its Always best to stick with the wiring harness the transmission uses, since if you put in a Auto Harness your ECU will still give some fuel to your motor between your shifts and it will rev up a bit.

Getting a Driveshaft lenghted is a matter of going to a machinist and getting them to do it, bring 1 extra for the fill in. I hope this helps you out a little
Catlin

2012 VW Golf 2.5 5speed Deep Black Pearl
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI Bosch .216mm injectors and Malone stage 2, soon 11mm pump and vnt 22(parked for the winter)
2010 VW Golf City 2.0L "Hers"

Reply #2July 29, 2010, 04:19:15 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 04:19:15 pm »
The mechanical part of the swap looks pretty straightforward.
I'm not really looking forward to finding out how integrated with the rest of the truck the eng harness is.

Reply #3July 29, 2010, 07:29:08 pm

catlin_cava

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 07:29:08 pm »
should be straight forward plug in play.
Catlin

2012 VW Golf 2.5 5speed Deep Black Pearl
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI Bosch .216mm injectors and Malone stage 2, soon 11mm pump and vnt 22(parked for the winter)
2010 VW Golf City 2.0L "Hers"

Reply #4July 29, 2010, 08:58:21 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 08:58:21 pm »
Just got started pulling the auto.   I wish I would have started BEFORE it decided to lubricate everything.

Reply #5August 12, 2010, 02:31:33 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 02:31:33 am »
well, it was pretty involved plug and play...there are a ton of plugs on these things.
A few setbacks...as soon as I got it running, it started leaking fuel...tracked that down, got a new sensor, and the clutch lost prime.
anyway, I got it in 5th gear yesterday, and it felt great.
Still don't have a driveshaft for the back, so she's operating a a FWD...drives like ass.
Got the 1ton axle in back today, swap the front tomorrow ;D

Fixmyvw.com