Author Topic: The old blue rebuild (1983 1.6 TD)  (Read 53212 times)

Reply #210September 24, 2011, 04:19:47 pm

dankcorey22

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cummins!
    • Anything that runs
Re: The old blue rebuild (1983 1.6 TD)
« Reply #210 on: September 24, 2011, 04:19:47 pm »
I tried to do it 180 out with the NA pump also and nothing not even tried to fire... Im going to wait till i get my TD pump back!
MY CARs-BLACK 99.5 Jetta TDI 5 speed 93,000- DC Stage 2 Clutch Kit 14Lb FW, Afe air intake box, 2.5" DP, 11mm IP, 2.5" stright piped, boost gauge, PP764, RC5 (WOW), 3-Bar, McNally EGT/Boost, 17/22, Race Pipe, EGR Cooler Delete, PD lift pump, R32 MAF housing,FMIC

1983 VW Jetta 1.6 turbo fuel mods

Reply #211September 25, 2011, 10:11:39 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2011, 10:11:39 pm »
Corey,

I had the chance to run across town, all of 1.8 miles to check out the Harbor Freight store.

I think I have a solution to the poor performance of the gauge. 

Your statement on p. 14:

Since im waiting for that pump. I done a compression test to eliminate other possible no start problems... But the problem is i am using a Harbor Fright compression tester which is probably 50-100 PSI off because the adapter that sticks in the injector hole leaks like an SOB!
What a Piece of ***.

Well I picked up a kit for 30 bucks as I don't even think I can come close to that elsewhere.  It was shrink wrapped and had the U.S. General brand on it.  How strange that China chooses to market their product under such sneakery.  I bought the kit figuring if it was just total hooey as you stated I would run it back in a hurry.  Well it appears to be machined well enough, normally there are burrs all over some of that stuff.  In looking through the applications I noted that to test a VW you do not use the injector adapters at all.  There is one that goes in the glow plug spot.  If you have the kit it is the middle sized one in that row or five on the right side in the middle of the box.  It plugs directly to the gauge and is about the same size as a VW glow plug so you will get near the pounds of compression that you normally do since all the space is about the same.

So, try it again,  put your injectors back in their respective spots and pull the glows instead.  Then put the adapter in one at a time and send us the numbers from that run.  I think you will find no leaks in the setup.  I know that in the instructions they say to pull the injectors and the glow plugs.  So I am not sure how they intended you to get any reading on that 1000 lb gauge.  I would and am going to try this on my car next weekend so if you have terrible results let us know.  I may apply Teflon tape to the adapter if that is the case when I try it.

Reply #212September 25, 2011, 11:37:16 pm

Powered by Spearco

• Veteran

« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2011, 11:37:16 pm »
FYI.
Diesel fuel injection is the best diesel shop here in Portland, Or. Mark the owner and all the other front counter guys really know their stuff with TDI and IDI VW pumps. They do all the mods for most all the TDI guys around here. They know their stuff and the shop is spick-n-span clean, the caliberation machines are state of the art.

'87 Syncro Transporter Single Cab "Now TDI"
'78 Rabbit..Gas Weekend Racer
'81 Caddy..Diesel 1.6/1.9 TD hybrid 275HP 349TQ "Retired"
'90 MultiVan, 2.5 Suby Swap, Porsche Brakes
'76 Scirocco TD dragster project
'13 Golf R:. Tuned
'98 Puch G320

Reply #213September 26, 2011, 08:59:26 am

JessaBug

• Junior

« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2011, 08:59:26 am »
We bought the HF compression tester and used the injector method. Worked great for us with no leaks.
Mine - BMP 20thAE GTI
His - '01 Jetta TDI
Our project: '84 Jetta TD

Reply #214September 26, 2011, 09:57:19 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2011, 09:57:19 am »
That's interesting, I thought the HF kit says to use the injector adapter to check compression on a VW's. #1 and 2 glow plugs would be a *** to do a compression test from. I am going to look at my HF instruction sheet again (if I still have it) and see what it says.

Corey,

I had the chance to run across town, all of 1.8 miles to check out the Harbor Freight store.

I think I have a solution to the poor performance of the gauge. 

Your statement on p. 14:

Since im waiting for that pump. I done a compression test to eliminate other possible no start problems... But the problem is i am using a Harbor Fright compression tester which is probably 50-100 PSI off because the adapter that sticks in the injector hole leaks like an SOB!
What a Piece of ***.

Well I picked up a kit for 30 bucks as I don't even think I can come close to that elsewhere.  It was shrink wrapped and had the U.S. General brand on it.  How strange that China chooses to market their product under such sneakery.  I bought the kit figuring if it was just total hooey as you stated I would run it back in a hurry.  Well it appears to be machined well enough, normally there are burrs all over some of that stuff.  In looking through the applications I noted that to test a VW you do not use the injector adapters at all.  There is one that goes in the glow plug spot.  If you have the kit it is the middle sized one in that row or five on the right side in the middle of the box.  It plugs directly to the gauge and is about the same size as a VW glow plug so you will get near the pounds of compression that you normally do since all the space is about the same.

So, try it again,  put your injectors back in their respective spots and pull the glows instead.  Then put the adapter in one at a time and send us the numbers from that run.  I think you will find no leaks in the setup.  I know that in the instructions they say to pull the injectors and the glow plugs.  So I am not sure how they intended you to get any reading on that 1000 lb gauge.  I would and am going to try this on my car next weekend so if you have terrible results let us know.  I may apply Teflon tape to the adapter if that is the case when I try it.

Reply #215September 26, 2011, 10:10:48 am

dankcorey22

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cummins!
    • Anything that runs
« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2011, 10:10:48 am »
I agree with the glow plug adapters it would be a pain to get 1 & 2 but no doubt it would be better! On my TDI i use the glow plugs holes to measure compression and that gauge and adapters work great!

But its something about that BIG ADAPTER or the little small one that threads down into the big one. But i wrapped it with Teflon.

I have my NA pump off the car now, but if i still had it on the car i would try the GP holes. Im waiting on my pump from portland ;D I have not heard anything yet but im sure they will call me soon.

-Corey
MY CARs-BLACK 99.5 Jetta TDI 5 speed 93,000- DC Stage 2 Clutch Kit 14Lb FW, Afe air intake box, 2.5" DP, 11mm IP, 2.5" stright piped, boost gauge, PP764, RC5 (WOW), 3-Bar, McNally EGT/Boost, 17/22, Race Pipe, EGR Cooler Delete, PD lift pump, R32 MAF housing,FMIC

Reply #216September 26, 2011, 10:34:51 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #216 on: September 26, 2011, 10:34:51 am »
On a TDI the glow plugs are in a super easy to access location, not so on the IDI! Do the test again with the injector adapter and spray soapy water on the joints to find where it's leaking from.

I agree with the glow plug adapters it would be a pain to get 1 & 2 but no doubt it would be better! On my TDI i use the glow plugs holes to measure compression and that gauge and adapters work great!

But its something about that BIG ADAPTER or the little small one that threads down into the big one. But i wrapped it with Teflon.

I have my NA pump off the car now, but if i still had it on the car i would try the GP holes. Im waiting on my pump from portland ;D I have not heard anything yet but im sure they will call me soon.

-Corey

Reply #217September 26, 2011, 11:24:53 am

dankcorey22

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cummins!
    • Anything that runs
« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2011, 11:24:53 am »
I already know where its leaking from, Right above the threads on the adapter where the metal starts to get wider.

On a TDI the glow plugs are in a super easy to access location, not so on the IDI! Do the test again with the injector adapter and spray soapy water on the joints to find where it's leaking from.

-Corey

Reply #218September 26, 2011, 12:47:11 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #218 on: September 26, 2011, 12:47:11 pm »
I knew you had the pump off and sent away for a fix.  That is why I suggested going for the GP adapter and trying it again.  I agree getting in those glow plug areas with the pump on is a major pain.  Maybe something the authors of the instructions don't know.  But IF you already have the pump off the GP access is not a problem any more now is it?

How about some new numbers? 

Reply #219September 26, 2011, 01:27:41 pm

81 vw pu

« Reply #219 on: September 26, 2011, 01:27:41 pm »
I knew you had the pump off and sent away for a fix.  That is why I suggested going for the GP adapter and trying it again.  I agree getting in those glow plug areas with the pump on is a major pain.  Maybe something the authors of the instructions don't know.  But IF you already have the pump off the GP access is not a problem any more now is it?

How about some new numbers? 

Please explain how you do a compression test with the pump off?

Reply #220September 26, 2011, 02:10:23 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #220 on: September 26, 2011, 02:10:23 pm »
FYI.
Diesel fuel injection is the best diesel shop here in Portland, Or. Mark the owner and all the other front counter guys really know their stuff with TDI and IDI VW pumps. They do all the mods for most all the TDI guys around here. They know their stuff and the shop is spick-n-span clean, the caliberation machines are state of the art.

Josh, are we talking about DFI that was based in scappoose for a short time? do they still have a dyno?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #221September 26, 2011, 02:59:56 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #221 on: September 26, 2011, 02:59:56 pm »
Brain dead again!  What the heck am I thinking?  Obviously not, should have had more coffee this morning I guess.  I suppose if he was real good at turning cam and crank he could do a leak down test.  But that might be kind of iffy.

Reply #222September 27, 2011, 10:48:33 am

dankcorey22

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cummins!
    • Anything that runs
« Reply #222 on: September 27, 2011, 10:48:33 am »
I was wonder the same thing how am i going to do that with the pump off?! BTW i am Not trying to spin the cam and crank independently haha

Dale, everyone had those days man! i have them almost every day  :P

Reply #223September 27, 2011, 11:06:57 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #223 on: September 27, 2011, 11:06:57 am »
I looked at my HF compression tester manual and it lists using both the injector hole and glow plug hole adapters. For 70's vintage VWs, it says to use the injector hole, for later years, it says to use the glow plug holes but the info provided was obviously wrong.

Reply #224September 27, 2011, 11:58:41 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #224 on: September 27, 2011, 11:58:41 am »
I looked at the instructions again in the kit.  Poorly written at best.  While trying to interpret them I can see why we never really know what they are trying to tell us.  I see a picture that shows the injector adapter but the footnote says this may need to be removed.  I didn't try to screw in the suggested adapter for the glow plugs into the hole in the injector adapter.  Looked like the same threads for all of them.  Maybe not. 

You just can't rely on non english speaking instructions to make clear sense.

S-PAutomotive.com