S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: The old blue rebuild (1983 1.6 TD)  (Read 53210 times)

Reply #180September 20, 2011, 12:45:31 am

dankcorey22

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cummins!
    • Anything that runs
Re: The old blue rebuild (1983 1.6 TD)
« Reply #180 on: September 20, 2011, 12:45:31 am »
I have no leaks from the seals I replaced when I turn the lift pump on and pop the return line off, it just poors fuel with no air bubbles whatsoever.
The stop solenoid is good because I tried the one off my tdi also and no fuel to the injectors not even a drop.
Im going to buy a pump then work on my td pump while I have the pump im going to by on their.
MY CARs-BLACK 99.5 Jetta TDI 5 speed 93,000- DC Stage 2 Clutch Kit 14Lb FW, Afe air intake box, 2.5" DP, 11mm IP, 2.5" stright piped, boost gauge, PP764, RC5 (WOW), 3-Bar, McNally EGT/Boost, 17/22, Race Pipe, EGR Cooler Delete, PD lift pump, R32 MAF housing,FMIC

1983 VW Jetta 1.6 turbo fuel mods

Reply #181September 20, 2011, 05:51:55 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #181 on: September 20, 2011, 05:51:55 am »
If you have fuel coming out of the banjo then the pump is already primed, and you don't need Mityvac or anything else.
Unscrew timing screw and see if hand cranking, or short starter cranking, gives you a gusher.
If not you have solenoid problems.
You may get fuel due to the fuel pump you have attached.

Try the above, and also try Reg's technique of turning in the max fuel screw say a turn.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #182September 20, 2011, 10:13:23 am

dankcorey22

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cummins!
    • Anything that runs
« Reply #182 on: September 20, 2011, 10:13:23 am »
If you have fuel coming out of the banjo then the pump is already primed, and you don't need Mityvac or anything else.
Unscrew timing screw and see if hand cranking, or short starter cranking, gives you a gusher.

Try the above, and also try Reg's technique of turning in the max fuel screw say a turn.

Is it the same is i took the solenoid off and hand turned it? but i did and fuel came out. but ill try the timing screw when i have time.

My max fuel screw is all the way in till it starts to run away now.. Ill give one turn back.  Do you think something in the area of the max fuel screw gets stuck?
MY CARs-BLACK 99.5 Jetta TDI 5 speed 93,000- DC Stage 2 Clutch Kit 14Lb FW, Afe air intake box, 2.5" DP, 11mm IP, 2.5" stright piped, boost gauge, PP764, RC5 (WOW), 3-Bar, McNally EGT/Boost, 17/22, Race Pipe, EGR Cooler Delete, PD lift pump, R32 MAF housing,FMIC

Reply #183September 20, 2011, 10:21:36 am

dankcorey22

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cummins!
    • Anything that runs
« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2011, 10:21:36 am »

Reply #184September 20, 2011, 10:49:59 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #184 on: September 20, 2011, 10:49:59 am »
i got this pump. http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=29981.0

Do you know the seller personally? Sounds like too good of a deal. I asked if you ran your pump before you rebuilt your engine and do not recall seeing an answer. I guess the answer is no?

Reply #185September 20, 2011, 11:42:49 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2011, 11:42:49 am »

Is it the same is i took the solenoid off and hand turned it? but i did and fuel came out. but ill try the timing screw when i have time. My max fuel screw is all the way in till it starts to run away now.. Ill give one turn back.  Do you think something in the area of the max fuel screw gets stuck?

Fuel at the solenoid is something but not far enough into pump.

A simple but methodical list to follow:

Checks for fuel go:

Tank, check for blocked fuel filler cap
Fuel line to fuel filter, possible air leaks
Transparent line to pump, possible air leaks
Pump main chamber fuel; filling is primed when fuel returns to tank,
Fuel stop solenoid; be sure operating correctly ie opening, and not merely 'clunking'
 Fuel into piston chamber; undo timing bolt
Fuel into high pressure lines, slacken nut on injector
Fuel into injectors; leak off lines can give 'depriming for Dolfs , but not Quantums it would appear 8)
Fuel out in spray ; poor spray pattern or mismatched pressures, drips

RE max fuel screw something may be changed from being disturbed
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

Reply #186September 21, 2011, 04:17:33 pm

dankcorey22

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cummins!
    • Anything that runs
« Reply #186 on: September 21, 2011, 04:17:33 pm »
 :( I tried everything you guys have told me with my TD Pump, No Luck. No fuel at injectors. No fuel coming out the timing hole.
I got the N/A pump today in the mail. Im going to try that this evening i hope to god it works! If not ill be sending my TD pump to Giles in CA.
Todays my day off so i got all day to fool with it. Well until it starts  raining again which it has been almost all day.

Well Thanks guys for trying to help me! Now i just want to put some C4 under the oil pan LOL

Reply #187September 21, 2011, 04:50:49 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #187 on: September 21, 2011, 04:50:49 pm »
:( I tried everything you guys have told me with my TD Pump, No Luck. No fuel at injectors. No fuel coming out the timing hole.
I got the N/A pump today in the mail. Im going to try that this evening i hope to god it works! If not ill be sending my TD pump to Giles in CA.
Todays my day off so i got all day to fool with it. Well until it starts  raining again which it has been almost all day.

Well Thanks guys for trying to help me! Now i just want to put some C4 under the oil pan LOL

are you sure the fuel collar is connected to the bottom of the fulcrum plate still? it comes disconnected very easily, and it can cause either a no run condition, or sometimes even a runaway condition..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #188September 21, 2011, 05:15:22 pm

dankcorey22

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cummins!
    • Anything that runs
« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2011, 05:15:22 pm »
Hey R.O.R can you specify? I don't know exactly what you mean?

Reply #189September 21, 2011, 05:56:58 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #189 on: September 21, 2011, 05:56:58 pm »
the fuel collar is the circular thing that sits around the plunger. its the actual injection quantity adjuster.. the governor directly controls the fuel collar, and if its not seated properly, then your pump will never build enough pressure to deliver fuel.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #190September 21, 2011, 06:53:22 pm

dankcorey22

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cummins!
    • Anything that runs
« Reply #190 on: September 21, 2011, 06:53:22 pm »
the fuel collar is the circular thing that sits around the plunger. its the actual injection quantity adjuster.. the governor directly controls the fuel collar, and if its not seated properly, then your pump will never build enough pressure to deliver fuel.

Oh yeah i know what your talking about now. Im pretty sure the pump was put back together right. But anyways im going to send it to DFIS in portland ive heard great things about them with TDI pumps. They are fairly cheap also.

Reply #191September 21, 2011, 08:48:37 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2011, 08:48:37 pm »

Oh yeah i know what your talking about now. Im pretty sure the pump was put back together right. But anyways im going to send it to DFIS in portland ive heard great things about them with TDI pumps. They are fairly cheap also.
Before you take such drastic action, are you sure that the work you've done at the solenoid led to it opening correctly? If the plunger was sticking you would get the symptoms you have now.

The spill sleeve would do this too, as well as a physically snapped piston. This can be checked by removing timing screw, and inserting either a gauge or a nail, and watching it move 2mm with hand cranking engine
Mark-The-Miser-UK

Reply #192September 21, 2011, 10:18:11 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #192 on: September 21, 2011, 10:18:11 pm »
The spill sleave can also be installed backwards, not sure what it would cause though.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #193September 21, 2011, 11:42:14 pm

dankcorey22

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cummins!
    • Anything that runs
« Reply #193 on: September 21, 2011, 11:42:14 pm »

Before you take such drastic action, are you sure that the work you've done at the solenoid led to it opening correctly? If the plunger was sticking you would get the symptoms you have now.

The spill sleeve would do this too, as well as a physically snapped piston. This can be checked by removing timing screw, and inserting either a gauge or a nail, and watching it move 2mm with hand cranking engine

How would you know that the solenoid is sticking? And how would i solve that? I have taken the solenoid out and charged it. Engages like it supposed to.

Your saying if the piston is physically snapped it wouldnt move any?  Mine moves alot from the last time i timed the pump.

Reply #194September 22, 2011, 08:50:43 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2011, 08:50:43 am »

How would you know that the solenoid is sticking? And how would i solve that? I have taken the solenoid out and charged it. Engages like it supposed to.

Your saying if the piston is physically snapped it wouldnt move any?  Mine moves alot from the last time i timed the pump.
I'm not an expert in snapped pistons unfortunately [fortunately actually ;D]

However, with the solenoid, if you remove it and then replace it without it's plunger [peer inside to see that the hole is clear] Then it will definitely allow flow from it into the piston chamber.
When it bursts into life however, stopping will require dropping into gear or disconnecting fuel... ;D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:06:51 pm by Mark(The Miser)UK »
Mark-The-Miser-UK

Fixmyvw.com