Author Topic: 1.6 turbo, 1.9 turbo or normal in my 82 Pickup?  (Read 7079 times)

July 12, 2010, 09:36:45 pm

zzyzx

1.6 turbo, 1.9 turbo or normal in my 82 Pickup?
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:36:45 pm »
I have a nice 82 diesel pickup(US) that has has overheating/head problems with two engines.
I am looking at eBay and see a company bringing in used engines from Germany.

I would love to have an engine without problems again and especially one with more power.

I can get a 1.6 turbo. Or a 1.9 normally aspirated diesel or a 1.9 turbo. Am leaning towards one of the 1.9 engines. Probably the normal one so I don't have turbo problems down the line. With winter temps here into 40 below zero I don't know how well they really hold up.

What will I have to change to get it to fit properly if I get one of the 1.9 engines? Anything?

Reply #1July 12, 2010, 11:54:28 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

Re: 1.6 turbo, 1.9 turbo or normal in my 82 Pickup?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:54:28 pm »
Go for what is called an AAZ 1.9 TboDzl if it is affordable.
There really is no replacement for cc displacement.

But you'll have to spend for a few specialized parts.
Like the special made exhaust downpipe to fit the Mk1 chassis.
And an air supply system.

Member Gee-Bee on here knows all the ropes on 1.9 into Mk1 Truck and what to get and where to buy. And he offers some of it, or had hands in its development.

With any mentioned engine you get (unless it comes from an 83-84) you'll have to swap your existing Injection Pump Mounting Bracket - that also incorporates an engine mount.

1.6 TD will likely also require buying an Mk1 chassis downpipe (although an Mk2 downpipe "can" be utilized) and the Mk2 air supply system "can" also be utilized, if the engine comes with it included. But using the mk2 pieces requires some tweaks here and there.

Also figure on a new larger piped exhaust system either way you go. The 1.6NA stock pipes are very small and restrictive, and cause more heat to accumulate.

It takes some coins to upgrade from 1.6 NA and do it mostly proper. It takes stacks of coins to do it Really Righteous.

Sounds like step #1 is upgrading to the large A/C option Radiator (new) - if you don't already have that. It goes from driver headlite all the way across to the alternator.
Step #2 is going with an mk2 style 2speed fan.

Reply #2July 12, 2010, 11:56:44 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 11:56:44 pm »
Diesel VW's are VERY popular in Canada.
It gets cold up there too.
They handle it fine with systems and maintenance in good order.

Reply #3July 13, 2010, 04:19:05 am

VW Smokr

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 04:19:05 am »
1.9L definitely has more torque, but the 1.6L is typically smoother & gets better fuel mileage, according to a buddy who has switched back & forth a couple of times between a 1.6TD and a 1.9TD in his caddy p.u. He built both the engines to VW factory specs, but ended up preferring the 1.6TD, overall. He's made quite a few SoCal to Alberta round trips in it, so comparing the relative mileage & power was easy.

Seems like there's always trade-offs. Power/mileage? Automatic trans/5-speed? Tailgate up/tailgate down? Hump/death?

J.R.
SoCal

Reply #4July 13, 2010, 08:52:44 am

stewardc

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 08:52:44 am »
You're close enough to Canada that you should contact a scrapyard there and pick up a good used AAZ from a Mk 3 jetta. I've had both, and love the torque of the bigger 1.9.

Reply #5July 13, 2010, 09:47:51 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 09:47:51 am »
I have a 1.9na in my mk2 golf and I think it's fantastic. I don't like turbos. I used an AAZ and sold all the turbo stuff and converted it to NA.
Tyler

Reply #6July 13, 2010, 03:28:19 pm

zzyzx

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 03:28:19 pm »
So far the 1.9 normal looks to be what I am going to do. I want more torque and a bit more power. I will sacrifice some mileage if that is what it takes. The truck will be on a farm and doing some highway mileage both. Winter reliability is important. No, I won't go to Canada, the border idiots are not worth the hassle. They are idiots on both sides.(equal opportunity bigot here, from personal experience on both sides of the border)

If I go with the 1.9 normal engine do I need more specialized pieces? 

If I do, what does it take to add an air conditioner for the summer driving?

Reply #7July 13, 2010, 06:00:40 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 06:00:40 pm »
I dont belive the 1.9 AAZ TD will have room for a a/c compressor

ask jeff at : www.jeffsoldvolkshome.com

I was informed it wont fit , there are some 1.9 n/a , non-turbo's around
I have a 1Y intake manifold and intake hose if you go that route.
GB
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #8July 14, 2010, 06:43:59 am

zzyzx

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 06:43:59 am »
What I am looking at are the engines on eBay from an outfit in SoCal who imports them from Germany. I have the choices most have. I am a bit confused as to what will work and what won't. I read of the bigger engines maybe needing a different motor mount to fit in the 82 pickup. Then there are the engines from the Vanagon. Sound the same but... are there enough differences to make them an engine to stay away from?

The idea of getting a turbo is attractive. More power and either 1.6 or 1.9 available. What is the downside if I go this route? I know almost anything with more power will make the little truck much nicer for my use. Good highway cruising and more torque for around the farm and low end driving in the mud and muck. Light towing with a small trailer to the dump and whatnot.

Basically I am looking for what will fit without too much trouble and major changes. Bolt on and bolt off is just fine. I don't want to get into a lot of detail work if I don't have to. I am not looking for the ultimate street racer but dependability and drivability.

Below are a few of the options I am looking at. These come up regularly from this supplier. Am trying to get the engine so I can just drop it in and drive, if possible.

VW 1600 Turbo Diesel Vanagon Engine Complete low miles
Here is a complete 1600 VW Vanagon Turbo Diesel Engine for your 1983 and up Vanagon.  The engine comes complete with injection pump turbo, mounting bars. This engine came out of a running Van in Germany with 95,100 miles. It has 69HP and 98 ft lbs of torque.This engine is known for its fuel economy, durability and simplicity. 

Will this engine fit? It says for a Vanagon. What is the difference if I put it into the pickup? What would I have to change, if anything?

-------------------------------------------------

VW 1900 Turbo Diesel Complete Engine AAZ

This is a 1900 CC TD Engine  AAZ style from Germany with 83,000 miles.   This has the mechanical pump and is complete with Alternator, Turbo, injection pump and PS pump .  It does not need an ECU ( Computer ).The Engine is rated at 75 HP and 114 LB of torque. This engine has the late style turbo and  it does clear the left engine mount in the Vanagon application.You can get a lot more power out of this engine by installing an intercooler (+$150) and or adjusting the pump.  On 84 and earlier rabbit and jettas you may need to change the front engine mount. 

If I get this or another like it, what is needed? A bigger exhaust pipe? Anything else?

------------------------------------

VW 1900 Diesel Engine Natural Aspirated
This is a used 1900 Diesel Engine. This is a very hard to find Natural Aspirated Diesel Engine. The engine has the serpentine belt set up.  Has power steering pump.  This engine has 66,200 miles on it.The engine came from Germany. The engine comes with injection pump, alternator, and flywheel, . The engine is rated at 68 HP, and 94 foot lbs. of torque. It produces this peek torque from 2000 to 3000 RPM Engine comes without upper timing belt cover. . This makes it a real alternative to the 1600 Turbo Diesel engine without having to deal w. the Turbo. This engine will work perfect in a Golf, Jetta, Rabbit and The Rabbit /Caddy pick up.You may have to transfer you engine mount to our engine.

I guess the 1.9 drops in without much else? Will the timing belt cover from the 1.6 fit or will I need to get a new one?

------------------------------

As you can see I am a bit confused as well as somewhat intimidated in the search. Having one excellent pickup I sold to get the newer one and then having engine problems with it, twice - has me worried. A newer engine I can put in and drive is the goal. More power is worth it to me as long as it doesn't make for an engine I have to fiddle with. Reliability, especially in the winter is #1 for me. So, I ask and then will read and figure what should work best for me.

Reply #9July 14, 2010, 09:24:40 am

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 09:24:40 am »
Timing belt either way is a trim around the rear rh mount

Check with Jeff and see if the 1.9non turbo  1Y will except a A/C compressor

If you go with a 1.9 AAZ you can use a K&N  filter setup or find a MK1 TD airbox filter assy
with the aaz 1.9 TD you will need a downpipe also

let me know ?
GB

P.S. I know Thomas very well, your seller of the engines
first thing, send the pump out for inspection of rust , replaces hoses , water pump and belt's before install
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #10July 14, 2010, 11:16:52 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 11:16:52 am »
gotta use a gasser rabbit front engine mount for an AAZ. might have to be installed upside down even..

Reply #11July 14, 2010, 01:19:45 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 01:19:45 pm »
You don't want an engine from a Vanagon or a Quantum.
Unless you want to buy a lot of extra pieces that would already be correct on most other engines you could buy.

1.6 TD is a great engine.
A lot of guys here would be estatic to have one.
I'm real fond of them too.
Easily capable of 90-100 reliable hp with mild basic affordable upgrades.
Can go higher (hp) if you want to play spendy.

In my 81 Truck, have a stock basic 1.6 TD
It has an Extra Large fiberglass campershell and the small factory NA exhaust pipes. Its doing fine on its own. But will soon get some of the basic upgrades.

With your A/C request - the 1.6 TD may be your best option.
Contact GB's source he listed above.
I think he also sells/supplies/installs 1.9 new - reman'd - used.

The 1.9TD is the ultimate do it yourself conversion of simplicity in a Truck. Not all of us can go the ultimate, for diff reasons. Your reason may be A/C.

Folks are even doing TDI and TDI-M conversion$ into Truck$.

We all have diff circumstances.
I chose against buying a 1.9 TD for a number of reasons.
But if one fell in my lap easy - i'd go for it - yes.
I'm heavily vested in 1.6 already, and all my VW's have factory AC.

Reply #12July 14, 2010, 02:07:42 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 02:07:42 pm »
The 1.6td is very easy and simple. The 1.9td (AAZ) is a little more hassle and wouldn't really be worth the grief for your application. My personal experience is that the turbo is not a negative addition. I believe it improoves economy of the fuel in the sense that you are able to burn more fuel when you need it to be burnt (ie. you're putting your foot down and you NEED the tires to turn) - however if simplicity is what you're after by all means go naturally aspirated (or what you refer to as "normal").

Buy an intercooler off Ebay (i found one for $75) and run the 1.6td with a Garrett T3 turbo (comes stock on the newer mk2's) and you'll see very acceptable economy and the power when you need it. You don't need fancy pipes either. I used ABS plumbing and it works fine. People told me it would melt but it never did. Silicone connector from the hot turbo to the ABS is needed though as the rubber deforms under heat. The rest can be rubber - especially after the intercooler.

All these mods can EASILY be done by reading on this very forum right here. This forum will be your best friend, as it is mine.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:10:57 pm by Smokey Eddy »
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD