Author Topic: Help with custom exhaust ......  (Read 2842 times)

July 08, 2004, 05:42:50 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

Help with custom exhaust ......
« on: July 08, 2004, 05:42:50 pm »
Guys,

For my project i have a good supply of 2" 316 Stainless steel, plenty of 316 plate to make my exhaust / turbo flange (CNC Milling) and also a guy to do the mandrel pipe bending. But i need a bit of help.  :wink:

He's looking £35 to setup the machine to do 2" bends, and £4 per bend there-after. Which i think is reasonable. I supply the pipe.

I was only going to get the intercooler pipes done at first, but with the £35 setup, i'm best just getting the exhaust done there and then.... more of that in a minute.....

Few Q's.....

Is it possible to have the intercooler pipes in 2 peices ? Running a front mounted intercooler, with a feed from the left, and return to manifold from right (above G'box). So, is it possible to get a 1 peice per side bent to fit down by the Rad, or will i have to go with a 4 peice system ( i only know CNC turning and milling, not CNC pipe-bending), any info on whats possible, much appreciated..

The Exhaust.....

2" should be enough for my 'light' modification's shouldnt it ?

Lastly,..... no problem with the exhaust planning until i get to the actual silencer. I noticed some guys mentioning 'exhaust note' in previous posts.

I want a nice note, hopefully some turbo whistle.... so without making a system and then finding it too quiet or no to my taste and then cutting my custom exhaust, what silencer box(s) should i go for..... e.g.... 1 TDi back-box ?

Do you guys run a single silencer ? My 1.9D has 2 exhaust boxes.... but i'm not familiar with other fact. std VW TD & TDi's.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks. DM

Reply #1July 09, 2004, 05:32:14 pm

Cheesetoast

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 05:32:14 pm »
2" is stock exhaust size on my 93 td golf, if i was redoing my exhaust i would go for 2.5".  as for the muffler/silencers, the mid one clsoest to the front of the car is non restrictive "resonator" the rear muffler should be removed, it's restrictive.  removing one or both of these will not make the exhaust noticably louder.

Reply #2July 09, 2004, 08:02:05 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 08:02:05 pm »
I'm not really clear what setup you have... a 1.9lD - normally aspirated not turbo?  For normally aspirated 2" will probably work OK but 2.25" might work a little bit better, and you'd definitely want to keep some muffling on there (not a straight-though muffler either!) unless you want it to get real loud.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #3July 10, 2004, 02:29:05 am

DieselMonkey

• Junior

1.9L D..... turbo being re-conned now (conversion....)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 02:29:05 am »
Guys,

This is for the conversion i am now undertaking. Turbo being reconditioned, i even managed to get a 1.6L GTD sump with drainback so save me drilling and welding a drainback onto my original.

Anyway, this stuff isnt even 2", its 50mm OD. 1.5mm Side wall makes it 47 mm ID... 2" is 50.8".

I'm going to use it for my intercooler pipes for sure, theres too much good stainless to waste, but i'll not have enough left to make the whole exhaust, and so, i would need to order a bit more. So i'll take your advice and go bigger. 2.5" is about 62mm and the biggest i can go is 60mm OD (for pipe bender), making it 57mm ID.

How much would be in and exhaust on a Mk3 Golf ..... i'd guess at around 9 feet.

Do i get this right, only leave 1 rear silencer and remove the resonator..... Cat. converter is coming off too, the EGR's closed and i plan on collecting the blow-by in a catch-can and then letting it escape under the car.

Whats your guys opinion ?

Thanks, DM.