Author Topic: Cleaning out the fuel system  (Read 1605 times)

June 24, 2010, 08:08:01 pm

zozie

• Junior

• Rotoconcept Robotics
Cleaning out the fuel system
« on: June 24, 2010, 08:08:01 pm »
I had to put my MK1 back into active service now. It's been sitting since January. It was running fine, until today :P
The fuel tank hold something it's not supposed to. It some yellowish thick gel like juice that completely plugged up my filter. Today I put 150 Kms on it, starting with my tank just below 1/4. (Fuel's from January) In the last 5 km's I noticed some power loss. I took the filter off, drained it, filled up with ATF. There was a lot of the stuff coming out but minimal water. Few drops at most. Then I ran it for a few clicks, power loss again, then as I pulled into work's parking lot, it died. It got so plugged up that there was vacuum in the filter when I took it off. Lot's of yellow juice in the filter.......

Question: Is there an easy way of flushing the tank? I see too lines on the bottom of the tank on the right side, on top of each other. I'm thinking of just draining it, but I really want to clean it.
Any recommendations?

Reply #1June 24, 2010, 08:12:27 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Cleaning out the fuel system
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:12:27 pm »
Just run it and keep an extra fuel filter in the car. I had to run about 4-5 in my old 81 until it cleaned up. I didn't want to mess with the tank, so I just added 2 gallons or so and sloshed the car around to mix it up and went for the drive. Good luck and post pics if you decide to clean the tank out.

Reply #2June 24, 2010, 11:49:23 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 11:49:23 pm »
If you can get a lift pump hook it up to a line off the filter (pre filter) and pump the tank out into a pail and bring it to a hazardous waste depot.

Be sure to clean the intank filter as well.

I've heard biodiesel will clean the tank and lines very well but it may deteriorate some old rubber
Tyler

Reply #3June 25, 2010, 03:30:02 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 03:30:02 pm »
Be sure to clean the intank filter as well.

X2
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN