Author Topic: VW turbo rubber intake hoses...exhaust manifolds too  (Read 2797 times)

July 08, 2004, 12:12:56 am

janb

• Junior

VW turbo rubber intake hoses...exhaust manifolds too
« on: July 08, 2004, 12:12:56 am »
I need to lay my hands on some turbo intake and exhaust stuff for A1's.  I have a couple Quantum TD engines, (wrong stuff for A1) but need to turbo the 1.9 in my Caddy, ( I'm just packing too much freight, and she is really slow.)  The 10%+ grade through switch backs on the way home makes for a 'slow-go'

thx,
janb

The Stealth Rabbit
VW-d's are forever

Reply #1July 08, 2004, 02:15:11 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 02:15:11 pm »
I didn't think that the A1 came with a TD, but in any case, won't A2 stuff bolt right in?
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #2July 08, 2004, 02:48:52 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 02:48:52 pm »
Quote from: "VWRacer"
I didn't think that the A1 came with a TD, but in any case, won't A2 stuff bolt right in?

Sure they did... like most IDI VW TD's, they are rare, but '83-'84 Rabbits and Jettas with factory 1.6lTDs were sold by VW in North America.

And A2 stuff will mostly, but not completley, bolt in to an A1.  The A1 TD firewall-mounted fuel filter, air filter housing/tubing, and upper downpipe (the upper cast iron piece) are all different comparing A1 to A2 TDs.  The engine blocks have different engine codes (A1 is "CY" A2 is "MF") but are very similar (except the later MF blocks were hydraulic lifter.  The early MF blocks were solid lifter, and all the CY blocks are solid lifter.)
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Fixmyvw.com