Author Topic: Smoke problem, help!  (Read 1501 times)

June 07, 2010, 01:14:02 pm

wil892

• Junior

Smoke problem, help!
« on: June 07, 2010, 01:14:02 pm »
Hi

my GTD has always smoked a bit if I press the accelerator down when its warming up. Recently though I've noticed more smoke, especially when on the motorway.
The smoke on the motorway is greyish and starts if I put my foot down suddenly but it even happens when driving at a fairly constant speed. There is a bit of blue smoke when it is warming up and I put my foot down.

The cars oil level goes down (top of hash marks to middle of hash in 300 miles), it starts perfectly and I don't need the glow plugs to start it when hot or warm. The car has slight blue smoke trickle out the exhaust when first started. It had new head and injectors 10k miles ago. The injection pump setting is 1.25mm (this makes the engine sound normal with no marble), if it is set to 1mm it is too retarded. The turbo seems to work fine but i'm concerned about the amount of oil which goes. I have taken off the intercooler and there wasn't much oil in there, however at the boost pipe connections there is oil seeping.

I'm pretty sure there must be something up with the pump to be timed at 1.25mm and run ok. Does it sound like a turbo problem due to the amount of oil use?

Thanks
Will

1991 Golf MK2 GTD