Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: marbles in my engine  (Read 4052 times)

May 30, 2010, 06:48:25 pm

arnold

marbles in my engine
« on: May 30, 2010, 06:48:25 pm »
Hello,

I have an audi 80 with an 1y eco engine,yesterday i installed a treu td pump and the 155 bar injectors.
The pump is modded with the gov mod,boost pin to max and max feul still original,1 bar turbo pressure;original intercooler and piping.
The power increase is truely INSANE as i never have been able to spin the tires and now i can make them spin till third gear,oke just a little bit :)

I found the engine to be a bit more loud and ratling,when i pusch it hard i can hear a loud rattle as the rpm's fall,sound like there's marbles in the engine,it also runs hotter.
i set the pump to 0,95,when i pul the cold start lever at idle i can hear the marble noise again.
The injectors have a good spray pattern but were a bit out of spec,around 140-145 bar.

I also noticed between shifts the rpm dont go down as fast as with the eco pump

Do i need to set the pump by ear or you guys think the injectors will advance the injection?,maybe i can have the injectors set to spec somwhere,will be expensive tough...

Reply #1May 30, 2010, 08:39:53 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: marbles in my engine
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 08:39:53 pm »
Try retarding the timing a bit.
Tyler

Reply #2June 04, 2010, 06:18:50 pm

arnold

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 06:18:50 pm »
I adjusted the timing from 0.90 until 1.20
when i retard the timing it loses power and smokes more,when i advance it runs even louder...

Can the rattle come from a worn pump? it has a bit of shaft play and i can spin it easy by hand.
I pulled a late style td pump from another engine today and this one seems to be a lot stiffer,i will just try this one and rebuild the other pump.

anyone knows what wears in the pump so it makes it easy to spin by hand ? head springs maybe ?

Reply #3June 05, 2010, 02:45:34 pm

arnold

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 02:45:34 pm »
alright new pump,set it to exact 1.00mm
runs reaaaal smooth now no more marbles haha

i take it for a test drive and i cant do more then 2500 rpm it pulls really good and then it just stops,lots of white/grey smoke when it stops pulling  ???
this pump is completly standard exept the boost pin has been set to the most agressive side

any thoughts ?

Reply #4June 06, 2010, 10:03:31 am

arnold

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 10:03:31 am »
i have located the problem,the new pump seems unable to suck the fuel in enough.
i bypassed the filter and let it run from a bottle and it didn't change anything i could see the fuel going back and fourth in the clear line along with some air  ???.

I will fill the pump with atf and let it sit a couple of days,if this fails is there another way to make the vains inside come loose again ?
maybe blow in some pressured air or something i will try everything before opening the pump

ANY suggestions welcome !

Reply #5June 06, 2010, 10:07:00 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 10:07:00 am »
Feed the pump with a CIS fuel pump (70 psi or so). If you do this you NEED to hook up a pressure gauge to the pump internal pressure. I wouldn't go over 120 PSI.

You should actually hook the gauge up first to check to see what the internal pump pressure is.
Tyler

Reply #6June 06, 2010, 01:24:05 pm

arnold

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 01:24:05 pm »
Feed the pump with a CIS fuel pump (70 psi or so). If you do this you NEED to hook up a pressure gauge to the pump internal pressure. I wouldn't go over 120 PSI.

You should actually hook the gauge up first to check to see what the internal pump pressure is.

Really thanks for the help burn,i will try this tomorow,would the high pressure make the vains come loose again or is the CIS pump just a replacement for the feed pump ?

I was wondering would it do any harm if i put some WD-40 in the pump to help things come loose ?

Reply #7June 06, 2010, 02:44:00 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 02:44:00 pm »
I don't think WD-40 is a good lubricant so it will likely do some damage.

The vanes are pressed outwards against the feed pump liner by centrifical force and internal pump pressure. By bumping the pressure up you may be able to free them up. You might want to pull the pressure regulator and make sure it's not siezed as well. Actually the pressure gauge before you hook the CIS pump up should tell you that.
Tyler

Reply #8June 07, 2010, 06:37:09 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 06:37:09 pm »
a CIS pump?  Seems like 70psi is asking for leaks, I thought we all decided low pressure pumps were ok to assist weak internal lift pumps?  Didn't giles or somebody bench one and finally determine there was little to no effect on advance awhile ago?
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #9June 08, 2010, 12:52:19 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 12:52:19 pm »
The pump internal pressure normally exceeds 70 psi so it won't cause leaks IF you don't rev it up past 120 psi. If it leaks it was going to leak when you drove it anyways.

Yes Giles and I tested feeding a pump with 30 psi and there was NO effect on advance. Internal pump pressure did increase by 30 PSI throughout the range though.
Tyler

Reply #10June 08, 2010, 05:04:34 pm

arnold

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 05:04:34 pm »
The pump will be opened and rebuild,i did put a max of 90 psi on the pump and it didn't help it run like it should be but the vanes are still stuck,i think there's some mad corrosion in there.

Then i went mad and sprayed a lof of wd 40 in the inlet,let it soak for 6 hours,didn't help...

I got my hands on a brand new pump of a vanagon,swapped the lda and will try this,it's new but sat sealed in a box for unnown years.