Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: My go pedal was sticky.....solved I think.  (Read 2953 times)

May 27, 2010, 03:32:15 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

My go pedal was sticky.....solved I think.
« on: May 27, 2010, 03:32:15 pm »
Yup, the go pedal is sticking, but I must say "unexpected acceleration" isn't really an issue.......actually acceleration at all is pretty neat ::).

I know it's the IP lever that is stiff, I took it all off and cleaned all the old oil off from the last time it was getting stiff. I put it together and it worked "ok" for one short less-than-a-mile trip. Now it's worse than it was before.

Now I noticed that of the two return springs on top of the IP, one is thicker wire and thus taller. Anyone know which one goes on top? I hesitate to oil it since that'll help dirt stick to it all. It's real crunchy like something is binding.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:10:54 pm by rabbitman »

'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #1May 28, 2010, 03:51:37 am

745 turbogreasel

Re: My rabbit is acting like a toyota!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 03:51:37 am »
any chance the cable is about to break and leave you no acceleration?

Reply #2May 28, 2010, 02:32:35 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 02:32:35 pm »
I thought about that but I unhooked the cable and the IP lever was still sticky, it's gotten so bad that I can use it as cruise control.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #3May 28, 2010, 04:08:42 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 04:08:42 pm »
So I studied the lever/spring setup and it appears that the lower spring must be there, it is what pushes off the IP. The upper spring pushes off the lower spring and is the thicker of the two, thus it is what adds strength. The upper spring isn't totally needed though, I removed it freeing the lever up but now it's VERY easy to push the pedal.

I'll try it a few days and let you all know how it is. I've seen a couple people have had problem with the lever sticking so hopefully this helps somebody.

Reply #4May 29, 2010, 09:35:37 am

Rabbit on Roids

Re: My go pedal was sticky.....solved I think.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 09:35:37 am »
i installed a small return spring on my ip. sometimes it would hang at about 12-1500 rpms idle.

Reply #5May 29, 2010, 03:24:24 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: My go pedal was sticky.....solved I think.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 03:24:24 pm »
So far removing the upper spring has worked perfect, the go pedal feels like one of the cable-less gas pedals the new cars have. Very strange feeling on a rabbit......the cable must've been stretching a little before 'cause now it's really touchy.

I like it. ;D