Author Topic: Paranoid about dropping a prechamber  (Read 11378 times)

May 23, 2010, 05:54:32 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
Paranoid about dropping a prechamber
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:54:32 pm »
I like stuff that locks in as opposed to press fit. Im really leary of assembling a engine with alot of money into a bottom end only to lose it all because a precup decides it wants to fall out. I know of one guy locally that rebuilt his engine only to lose it 200 miles later because of this.

2 things..

1. Ive heard that Turbo and NA precups different. I dont believe this but I figured Id ask. Is one bigger then the other? Length and diameter?

2. Any thoughts on drilling and tapping a tiny 2-3mm hole just below each glow plug, tapping it and installing a set screw?

Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Reply #1May 24, 2010, 10:46:56 am

macka

• Veteran

Re: Paranoid about dropping a prechamber
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 10:46:56 am »
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #2May 24, 2010, 11:58:03 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:58:03 am »
1.5 cups and 1.6 TD cups are dimensionally identical ive been told. any truth to that? and the n/a cups are bigger around?

Reply #3May 24, 2010, 04:23:10 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:23:10 pm »
Once your head has lifted far enough off the block for a cup to fall out, does it really matter?

Reply #4May 24, 2010, 05:33:03 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 05:33:03 pm »
If you have a precup fall into the cylinder, you're doing it wrong.

They fit into a part of the cylinder head that is contacted by the engine block (with the head gasket in-between) and only partially protrude into the area on top of the cylinder bore. It's not physically possible for them to fall in once the head is installed. 

Once you have the head off and see how they sit, this will make more sense...

Reply #5May 24, 2010, 06:44:49 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 06:44:49 pm »
how do the pre chambers come far enough out of the head to fall in? just crack the face off them? cause if you set a cup at the top of a bore before you tap it in, they stick out over a quarter inch.. the only way i can see something going wrong is if it dropped the face of the cup.

Reply #6May 24, 2010, 07:27:55 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 07:27:55 pm »
That's not fell out, that's got loose and beat apart from incorrect machining that VW says don't do in the first place. :)

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #7May 25, 2010, 08:36:58 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 08:36:58 pm »
I don't recall ever feeling a pre-chamber being really tight going in or out of a head.  You'd think with thermal expansion and retraction and the godawful heat and stress it'd happen more often.  Guess VW (more or less) knew what they were doing.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #8May 26, 2010, 09:21:56 pm

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 09:21:56 pm »
Can't we just put a couple of peen dimples in the head on both sides of the cup and call it a day?
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT

Reply #9May 26, 2010, 10:50:04 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 10:50:04 pm »
Can't we just put a couple of peen dimples in the head on both sides of the cup and call it a day?

That is what was done on the guy in my example. Hes also a machinist at the local reputable VW machine shop. He peened them and it still ate his engine after 200 miles.

The cups get loose and then punch through the headgasket (just like..well...a hole punch) Needless to say..a hunk of inconel bouncing around in the cylinder tends to mess stuff up. Head, Block, pistons...all toast.
Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Reply #10May 27, 2010, 12:30:48 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 12:30:48 am »
There has to be a way to make them stay, the vast majority of them do for many hundreds of thousands of miles.  We just don't know what it is apparently.  Maybe they are just a tighter fit when the heads are young?  Aluminum deforms and all that.  Peening only snugs up the lip.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #11May 28, 2010, 07:09:28 pm

alexgingles

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 07:09:28 pm »
That's funny.. I saw mike's headgasket after that happened.. and yeah... where the pre-cups sit was eatin' away on the hg.

That is what was done on the guy in my example. Hes also a machinist at the local reputable VW machine shop. He peened them and it still ate his engine after 200 miles.

The cups get loose and then punch through the headgasket (just like..well...a hole punch) Needless to say..a hunk of inconel bouncing around in the cylinder tends to mess stuff up. Head, Block, pistons...all toast.

Reply #12May 28, 2010, 07:18:16 pm

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 07:18:16 pm »
Here's one, unfortunately the pics aren't still up.  They were gruesome.  Do some searching and you'll find others.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=14690.0

I should have saved those pics for posterity's sake.

But, the HG will fail before the precup falls into the engine, and the HG will fail only after the deck of the block is jacked, crumbs of block have fallen into the cylinder and score the wall of the cylinder and the Head will be totally jacked.

That car was run too hard up a LARGE STEEP mountain pass, 2 times a day. 3 precups in the head was loose, the one that got the coolant last was the one tat was super loose and caused the HG to fail, the one next to it was a bit loose, the next one was just a little loose and the last one did not move.

Reply #13May 29, 2010, 06:44:00 am

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 06:44:00 am »
Somewhere on this site there's pictures of the destruction of a 1.6 td that happens when a precup comes out. I posted them a few years ago....... I'm using a different computer now, so I don't have access to the pictures or the link. I'll see if I can find them........  Enging was a volkswagen Canada factory rebuild too! I'll take more pictures if I get theh chance (still have the parts) But not today. Headed for VW Scully's show.

Reply #14May 30, 2010, 02:06:38 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 02:06:38 am »
Hmmm... 

Anyone ever seen a pre-cup dislodge on a factory non-rebuilt head?
Mentat Text Two

S-PAutomotive.com