Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: HOW ? Want to put in a low coolant sensor from scratch  (Read 2657 times)

May 19, 2010, 12:23:12 am

Baron VonZeppelin

HOW ? Want to put in a low coolant sensor from scratch
« on: May 19, 2010, 12:23:12 am »
I want to put in a low coolant indicator in my 81 Truck - from scratch. It didn't come factory with such equipment.

Need Help.

What i have:

1. New expansion tank and new in-tank coolant sensor
2. 2pin plug  for sensor with length of wires (from an mk2)
3. An indicator light that blinks when activated (aftermarket)

The indicator light will mount in one of the lower dash bezel blanks.

I don't have a clue how this deal should be wired to work.
I have an mk2 with working coolant sensor - and that doesn't help me really at all. With switch on (or engine running), I unplug the wiring plug from the sensor - and it flashes the dash light. Okay Groovy. At that time - on one of the wires i get a ground reading, on the other wire i get nothing as far as a negative or positive reading.

So right off the bat, i'm lost on this.

Can anyone put it in layman terms and plain english what I need to do to make this fiasco work on an 81 Truck ?

I have access to numerous mk2's right now in boneyards if i need to get some special pieces from them, to do this operation.

Many thanks for some help

Reply #1May 19, 2010, 01:13:43 am

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
Re: HOW ? Want to put in a low coolant sensor from scratch
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:13:43 am »
Yeah, the factory coolant sensor has some interface circuitry, rather than driving the light directly.  It measures the impedance of the coolant in a manner that also prevents the probes from corroding. 

Fatmobile built up a circuit once iirc... might want to draw his attention to this thread.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #2May 20, 2010, 01:51:33 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 01:51:33 am »
Thanks Vince, i will try to pm him tomorrow.

Reply #3May 26, 2010, 12:01:49 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #4May 26, 2010, 05:16:20 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

Cool
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 05:16:20 pm »
Super Cool  8)  

I'd call you a genius on this item Fatmobile, but then some wizard would pop up and start explaining how simple it is to scratch build one - and I'd be more lost than before.

I'm good for one - DEFINITELY !
Will send PM later tonight on that, and the hubcap.
Good to go on both items.

Checked out all the links on it.
Should be able to handle this with some small guidance on a thing or two.
I've already had mk1 clusters about 90% apart swapping a fuel gauge and a speedo repair.

Any problem doing a dash cluster LED *and* the blinking indicator i bought, in seperate locations?
I'd like to have both, and both working.

I lost a good engine in the mid 90's about exactly to how yours went, that inspired your invention.
Sold car cheap after that. Was a mint 80 Celica GT.

With your device, this whole system can be installed with all NEW parts for around $35 - on any Mk1 Diesel that doesn't have a capped type radiator.

That's cheap insurance where i come from.
Thanks man.

Reply #5July 03, 2010, 02:04:10 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 02:04:10 pm »
I got my circuit from Fatmobile, and installed it this week.

It was easy to install and it works GREAT !
Very Very happy camper.
Many thanks to Fatmobile for his work and supplying this much needed item.

I'm going to do a walk-through pictorial for dummies (my level and lower) on the install sometime soon.

You can go with his supplied internal dash cluster Red Flashing LED - OR if you don't want to go into the cluster - you can buy a remote external flashing LED from Oreillys for $5 and put it wherever you want it.

I went with Both.
So i have an indicator in the dash cluster - and another indicator above my ashtray (in one of the block offs - next to hazard flasher switch).

I also upgraded to the multi-color/color-changing Red-Green-Blue LED for the internal dash cluster ($2 from Fatmobile). Its WILD !

Many many thanks Craig !
I'm truely happy with this system and the extra peace of mind is very valuable to me.

Reply #6July 13, 2010, 12:58:15 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 12:58:15 am »
Glad you like it.
 You are the first person to buy one.
 All my Rabbits have them.
 I ran out of coolant once and fried an engine so I mostly built them for me but figured others would be interested.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #7July 13, 2010, 12:21:34 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 12:21:34 pm »
Amazes me I'm the only person who has bought one.
I'm beginning to wonder about some of the "others". lol

Just the number of Truck owners here is staggering, not to mention pre-83 Rabbit owners.

They should all easily realize how important this device can be to their investment. And you made it so affordable and easy to install its almost too good to be true.

It needs more publicity, i think.
Maybe not exactly so much for your sake (doubt you'll get rich on $20 a throw), but for the sake of those who would buy and install if they were made more aware.

In the next 2-3 weeks should be able to do a write up pictoral on it. Have pix already and the text is no probo, but i have to go to the library to get on a hi-speed ISP to upload the pix to a hoster.
That part is the hold up. Lot going on right now and a big trip coming up.

Damn good job Fatmobile.

Reply #8July 14, 2010, 12:28:12 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 12:28:12 pm »
it would be cool, no doubt, but i check my coolant darn near every day..

Reply #9July 14, 2010, 01:39:33 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 01:39:33 pm »
Its the next best thing to having a closed circuit camera on your expansion tank with a flat screen in the dash.  ;)

Short trippers can check all the time and play on the edge.
Daily distance drivers are suspectible to anything at anytime.
All my cooling system is brand new, even clamps and metal dist pipe. Except for existing low mile water pump.
But ... who knows whats in the road or around the bend.

This thing even lets you know your coolant level is okay at start-up. If it blinks when key is turned on at initial start-up, you're good to go. If it doesn't - coolant is low.

If it starts blinking while driving - you either have lost coolant, or you are overheating. It is 3 detectors in 1.

Like Fatmobile, I have lost a damn good engine before in a car that had no coolant level warning. The gauge didn't alert because it had lost its coolant from a lower hose split. Must have been something in the road ? idunno. Everything was fine until about 35 miles down the highway.

sweet 80 Celica GT hatchback. gone.