Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Diesel conversion  (Read 1493 times)

May 04, 2010, 10:30:53 am

harchar626

Diesel conversion
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:30:53 am »
I picked up a 92 Golf for $200.00 and drove it home. (reverse didn't work) not long after i picked up a 84 Jetta diesel for $100.00 and drove it home.  (there was no battery, so we pull started it) the Golf looks great the Jetta looks like homeless people moved out of it to find a cardboard box.  but the engine seems tight, the transmission works too. the transmission won't readily fit into the golf what are my options? 
1) re-tool and re-gear the golf tranny to run off the diesel engine? 
2) manufacture some bracket for the diesel tranny to fit into the golf engine compartment?
3) buy a new transmission to fit onto the diesel engine and into the golf engine compartment?
4) nothing, because i've wasted $300.00 and should not waste anymore?

P.S. the tranny code i believe i need for the new tranny option is "AWY"
tranny code off the diesel jetta is "GH"
tranny code off the gas golf is "AUG"

Reply #1May 04, 2010, 10:37:38 am

arb

Re: Diesel conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:37:38 am »
You guys up north or out west are so rich in cheap diesels... Michigan has been dry for decades.

I would keep the best body and use the diesel and diesel tranny. You will not be too happy with the gearing of the gasser behind a diesel. The trans mounts can be fabricated if you are into metal working. If you search for "1.6L caravan" you'll see I put one in a Dodge caravan. I had to make all 4 mounts.

Your 1984 if the engine is that, has the better 12mm head bolts. Before that they were 11mm.

S-PAutomotive.com