Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: The 1991 Eco in FLA New pics and update  (Read 7564 times)

April 30, 2010, 12:59:14 am

DieselBalz

• Veteran

The 1991 Eco in FLA New pics and update
« on: April 30, 2010, 12:59:14 am »
Hello everyone, have been consuming for some time now, and really feel that this is a super knowledgeable community when it comes to these vw diesels, which is great because I have found me one, finally.

I have picked up a 91 EcoDiesel and will be leaning on you all to help me along. If that is ok, of course.

So I pull in to the circle K for my morning coffee and pull right up next to it. My heart jumps up in my throat as I see the badge. I have been looking for one of these cars for some time and either the money wasnt right, or the car wasn't

I take a quick look once aorund it and then go inside, I ask out loud who owns the Jetta, and this older fellow answers. I tell him half jokingly Ill give you 1000 bucks for it right now.

He responds, "How will I get to work?" After a quick laugh we proceed to talk about the car. He is totally in to the idea of selling it. The car is in stellar shape. Not a spot of rust anywhere, the interior is immaculate, and the engine compartment looks decent.

Everything works, recently upgraded aircon, and some other necessary redos like linkage bushings and radiator flush has been completed in the last two years.

We agreed to meet up today so I could take it for a spin.
Has a little rattle that the guy thinks is the water pump. After a little inspection half way through the test drive, me and a friend I brought along, discovered it was the radiator fan shroud rattling, its a little bent. But I'll take the free water pump he is including. Also including the steel wheels for this car.

Took it out on the interstate and run her up to 70. She has a little wobble in the wheel which feels like a wheel balance issue. She tracks straight, but surprisingly it didn't feel like it was going to fly apart at speed.

She definitely needs a servicing . I think the paint work will brighten up well enough and I might go with a black hood. As you can see the interior is in great shape as is the body. I couldnt find a spot of rust and the wheels look really good for their age, they should refurbish easily enough.

The hood is the nastiest bit on the car, but am thinking of just sanding it down and shooting it black or maybe primer, for now. I cant decide between E types or quadrounds, only cause I want the halo lights.

There is a l bit of oil grime on the motor, and we picked up 1 drip of oil after running the car at speed and then letting it sit off in the parking lot. Its gonna need some gaskets, its got 191,000 miles on it. I gave him a deposit as so he doesn't sell it, took the title, a bill of sale, and the Bentley Manual for it home. I will pick it up this weekend.

I was thinking bigger turbo to get more out of it in the beginning , but as I have been reading, I am thinking its not the way to go. From what I understand, this Giles makes legendary pumps, and that seems to be where the main gain can be had. Cat is already gone, and I see 2.5 is the way to go.

First on the list though is a complete first echelon maintenance. Belts, oil, engine bay cleaning, brakes, gaskets, radiator flush, fluids, and thorough cleaning.

But I had to show you all this engine bay. I cant help but to laugh at that red wire that is looped around the cap of that reservoir. Please feel free to enlighten this diesel noob on the insanity of this bay. Im new to diesel, but am a wrencher.

Here ya go:

Oh and the rest of her, and sorry for the novel.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:21:25 pm by DieselBalz »

Reply #1April 30, 2010, 01:17:27 am

rabbid79

• Veteran

Re: I offer my engine bay
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 01:17:27 am »
Wow, if you picked up that car for $1000 you did good.  Rust-free is definitely the way to go, so you're already one step ahead.  That engine bay looks very good for 190K miles.

Yes, as far as performance, you would benifit most from a pump upgrade.  You need a turbo pump with boost enrichment device and larger internal plunger.  As mentioned, a Giles super-pump would be even better, but a turbo pump would still help a lot.  A 2.5" exhaust will also help, as would an intercooler.
'15 WRX
Parts for 2.0 TD build - Now looking for suitable car to put it in.

Reply #2April 30, 2010, 08:31:42 am

arb

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:31:42 am »
Sweat find !!  Are you north or south of the boarder ?

The wobble is likely a bent steel belt in a tire caused by a pot hole. Lift the car, spin a wheel and watch the tread. It that's it, you'll notice at some point the tread moves to one side a bit. The tire would be trash, but its an easy fix.

Yeah, Giles pump, no cat, new 2.5" exhaust from the turbo down...  ENJOY !!

ps - follow the bently to the letter on swapping the timing belt.

Reply #3April 30, 2010, 09:51:40 am

rs899

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 09:51:40 am »
Looks like "Location: Aplha Quadrant"  translates to be somewhere in Florida from the bits of the plate not fully expunged.  Why don't you be a little more forthcoming on your location, DieselBalz?  We're not likely to kill you...I have the spittin' image of that car in a '91 NA Jetta, including the burned up paint.  I wish my dashboard cover looked like yours- are you sure that's a Florida car?

Rick
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:53:34 pm by rs899 »
'91 Jetta 1.6 NA, '82 Caddy 1.6NA, '81 Cabriolet,  4 Mercedes OM616/617s , 2 Triumphs and a Citroen DS19 in a pear tree.

Reply #4April 30, 2010, 10:57:23 am

JerryGTD

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 10:57:23 am »

I was thinking bigger turbo to get more out of it in the beginning , but as I have been reading, I am thinking its not the way to go. From what I understand, this Giles makes legendary pumps, and that seems to be where the main gain can be had. Cat is already gone, and I see 2.5 is the way to go.

Nice find.

It looks as though the heater core is bypassed. That might not be a big problem in Florida.  ;D

Good luck with it.
1991 Jetta GL ECOdiesel

Reply #5April 30, 2010, 12:01:25 pm

regcheeseman

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:01:25 pm »
Nice tidy project.

On a bang for buck philosophy I wouldn't say a pump was the best option - probably one of the last.

You can get another 70-80% more power for less than $100 if you look to the more obvious mods first.

boost controller
boost gauge
intercooler
egt gauge
few pump tweaks

Then maybe go for the 'superpump'

Mind you, I have noticed you've got the awful pump, that is thankfully pretty rare in the UK.

Reply #6April 30, 2010, 01:18:09 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 01:18:09 pm »
Yess, where exactly is this located hissss? ;D Nice find.

First off,...
 new steering wheel.
 I hate that wheel, huge area you can't wrap your hand around,.. recommend the 4-button.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #7April 30, 2010, 02:43:51 pm

DieselBalz

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 02:43:51 pm »
Located in Tampa, Fl. Indeed I am gettin it for a grand. I am super excited about getting this lil diesel performing well enough to be my daily commuter.

I also look forward to buffing the remaining good paint on the car and blackening the trim up.

I will look through these forums and seek these upgrades you speak of. I am definitely a gauge kind of person as it helps diagnosing issues ahead of time. Planned is a voltemeter, tach, boost, oil temp and EGT.

I will post any progress with pics as I go along. I only plan on slight modifications as I do love the mk2 styling. Lowering it is definitely on the list but first its gonna be the mechanical improvements, and once that is solid, I will start improving her appearence.

Still can't decide on e types or quadrounds. The halo lights are so sick, but th e types are soooo clean!

Reply #8April 30, 2010, 02:46:09 pm

arb

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 02:46:09 pm »
I am definitely a gauge kind of person as it helps diagnosing issues ahead of time. Planned is a voltemeter, tach, boost, oil temp and EGT.

I really like my mechanical temp gauge too.... before it I over heated twice melting the HG !!

Reply #9April 30, 2010, 04:24:10 pm

DieselBalz

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 04:24:10 pm »
Mind you, I have noticed you've got the awful pump, that is thankfully pretty rare in the UK.

Not only does it not have any boost fuel enrichment, but it's also internally sporting an 8mm plunger instead of the typical 9mm.

Now is that something (the plunger) I can upgrade if I dismantle the pump and rebuild it? And I haven't been able to figure out whether or not I can add the LDA to this pump? It appears to be what giles does, but am unsure if its a simple bolt on or if it takes machining.

Reply #10April 30, 2010, 10:12:16 pm

DieselBalz

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 10:12:16 pm »

First off,...
 new steering wheel.
 I hate that wheel, huge area you can't wrap your hand around,.. recommend the 4-button.

I am not a big fan of it either. But I want to keep the interior as VW as possible. I will cruise some searched pictures of VW steering wheels, and try to figure out one I like. Hopefully snag it from a junk yard.

Reply #11April 30, 2010, 10:16:47 pm

DieselBalz

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 10:16:47 pm »
Looks like "Location: Aplha Quadrant"  translates to be somewhere in Florida from the bits of the plate not fully expunged.  Why don't you be a little more forthcoming on your location, DieselBalz?  We're not likely to kill you...I have the spittin' image of that car in a '91 NA Jetta, including the burned up paint.  I wish my dashboard cover looked like yours- are you sure that's a Florida car?

Rick

I am pretty sure it didn't start its life down here. It has a dealer sticker on it from Wilmington, DE. I am gonna do a carfax on it just to get a little history on the old girl. I'll post my findings.

Reply #12April 30, 2010, 10:20:07 pm

DieselBalz

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 10:20:07 pm »
Adding the LDA has been discussed before.  Search is your friend.  Basically there is a pin that needs to be removed and the hole plugged.  After that, the LDA is a bolt-on.  Yes, the plunger head can be swapped, but you'll have an easier time if you just get a working TD pump.

I will search both adding the LDA and getting a working TD. I need to do something because she is flat out at 70 mph. Thats all shes got, and down here on these FL roads, you need some more speed to defend yourself on the interstate.

I have a commute that is almost all interstate, and will not make it my daily commuter until I can get some more out of it.

Off to the Search box....

Reply #13April 30, 2010, 10:21:30 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 10:21:30 pm »

First off,...
 new steering wheel.

I am not a big fan of it either. But I want to keep the interior as VW as possible. I will cruise some searched pictures of VW steering wheels, and try to figure out one I like. Hopefully snag it from a junk yard.
The GTI 4 button:

With a small dremel bit it can be turned into GTD :D

Reply #14April 30, 2010, 10:28:08 pm

DieselBalz

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 10:28:08 pm »
Search for steering wheels complete. Sexy!

Fixmyvw.com