S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Need advice: rebuild or trash 85 jetta  (Read 1275 times)

April 28, 2010, 06:34:16 pm

78sharpshooter

Need advice: rebuild or trash 85 jetta
« on: April 28, 2010, 06:34:16 pm »
I was losing coolant and the coolant was brown but the crap settles after sitting awhile. Replaced the coolant and still brown and losing coolant. Pulled the head and found coolant in the #3 cylinder. Pistons look fine, head gasket looked fine, no bad scoring of the cylinders, but 2 coolant passages on the head were corroded extremely close to the combustion chamber. Prior to tearing it down she started RIGHT up in the morning, took a few more cranks to start when warm and I love the ride of the car, the german engineering, fuel economy and everything else about it. Should I buy a new head for $300 and all new valves and get it back together or should I take a close look at something else prior to ordering more stuff? I would also order new nozzles and a few other things to get this car reasonably dialed in. I should mention that I found a receipt from the previous owner who had the engine replaced with a used one that appears to be a 1981. (So far I have replaced the radiator, heater core, bought a new timing belt, fuel filter, oil, belts etc and the tires have plent of tread left.) Below is the pic I just took of the coolant in the cylinder.

S-PAutomotive.com