S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Getting there...just slowly (aka. swapping cranks)  (Read 2739 times)

July 06, 2004, 11:03:38 am

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

• http://www28.brinkster.com/mikeyworks/
Getting there...just slowly (aka. swapping cranks)
« on: July 06, 2004, 11:03:38 am »
Well, as many of you know, I had a bearing spin out on my newly acquired Caddy.

I thought I could simply sawp out the old bearings with new ones but it seems the previous owner let it run with no #2 bearing for a little while. No remnants were found when I pulled the pan...well, other than the ones in the bottom of the oil pan and in the screen of the oil pickup.

I checked the rod journals....they were all fine and ordered the replacement bearings accordingly, but as I found out, I forgot to measure the crank journal....long story short, see below:

That's 47.45mm....almost 0.5mm below spec...talk about being ground down a little...

So now, I have the TD crank out, and I am looking to replace it with an extra NA crank I had laying around. That crank is fine. I have checked and rechecked it's measurements.

Time to order my parts and get cranking (no pun intended) on putting this thing back together. I really am chomping at the bit to get it back on the road and enjoying the TD Caddy lifestyle.

But in the mean time this is what my garage looks like:

and here's the current state of my engine:

Reply #1July 06, 2004, 02:06:48 pm

dub

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 02:06:48 pm »
This is somewhat related to your story

when I pulled my pan to replace the rod bearings and oil pump I found three good size pieces of well worn metal, but they weren't pieces of the any of the rod bearings, and I don't hear any bad noises from the engine.

I do have lousy oil pressure and want to eventually change the main and intermediate shft bearings. I have been told that if I spin a main bearing I will definitely hear it.

any thoughts?

Reply #2July 06, 2004, 05:35:37 pm

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

• http://www28.brinkster.com/mikeyworks/
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 05:35:37 pm »
Dub,

Le tme describe the noise in my engine to you. Imagine your car running and at idle, about every 90 degrees through rotation you take a sledgehammer to your engine block...that's what I heard.  At least that's what you'll hear if you loose a rod bearing.

I'm not sure about a main bearing sound...I haven't heard one of those in a few years and only on American V8's....where is has a characteristic lugging sound from the engine.

I don't know if any of this will help.

My wife is getting pretty used to not having a garage to park her car....just my projects.

Mikey

Reply #3July 06, 2004, 09:45:22 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 09:45:22 pm »
british horses champ, north american horses chomp. hehe
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

S-PAutomotive.com