Author Topic: About to reseal my injection pump  (Read 2076 times)

April 06, 2010, 01:24:33 pm

gtidiesel1.6

• Junior

About to reseal my injection pump
« on: April 06, 2010, 01:24:33 pm »
Well like it says, ive got a massive leak from the front seal and have just ordered my seal kit and have a few questions.
1. what would be a safe chemical to use to clean the internals of the pump with?
2. what would be a safe grease/lube for the rubber seals when being reassembled? (i heard vaseline is good, can someone confirm?)
3. when i go to re do the timing belt would it be safe to do the white out on the pulleys/belt technique? i dont have the timing tools or the $$ to buy a set

I'm sure ill have more questions

Reply #1April 06, 2010, 08:30:02 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: About to reseal my injection pump
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 08:30:02 pm »
I'd imagine the safest thing to use to clean the pump internals would be diesel or kerosene...

Vaseline is fine, I've definitely seen others use it.  I've heard the best thing to use is clean diesel though.

There's not really any way you can "mark" the timing with whiteout or whatever and have any hope of getting anything even remotely close to where it was timed before.  The pump timing in particular is REALLY sensitive - a pencil line width is a big jump.  I'm assuming since you have the pump off and since you've had a leak you're planning on replacing the timing belt at the same time too - it's probably diesel soaked, and as we all know diesel eats rubber.  The new belt will end up needing a different amount of tension than the old one, also throwing off your marks.

You can get away without the tools and time it by ear well enough.  Some people ONLY time by ear, some people use the gauge to get it close and go from there, some people just set it to what the book says and forget it.  I think all are good methods, although the dial gauge gives you the ability to repeat your setting in the future, and allows you to know how much you moved things.  You can make locking tools out of whatever you have around - I used to just use a socket for my pump lock, and I used to just do the cam by eye.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2April 07, 2010, 02:55:07 am

gtidiesel1.6

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 02:55:07 am »
Thanks for the reply, ill get some fresh diesel then to clean and lube the seals when i put it back together.
What do you think about these timing tools? the ones prothe sells looks like they were made by a toddler
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180486280201&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.ca%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D180486280201%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Reply #3April 07, 2010, 12:31:34 pm

doonboggle

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 12:31:34 pm »
I bought the set from him, and while I did not get the chance to use them .... had a mechanic do it due to my having sustained an injury ... when through, he ... mechanic ... bought them off of me in order to have them on hand in his shop.  Shortly after, a friend who had the complete set donated them to me, so I have a set now.

The seller you has a somewhat of a bad reputation, but I believe this item is OK.  I would not buy from him the ip or other sophisticated items.  Apparently gets them from China ... thus the lower prices.

Just my opinion...

Thanks for the reply, ill get some fresh diesel then to clean and lube the seals when i put it back together.
What do you think about these timing tools? the ones prothe sells looks like they were made by a toddler
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180486280201&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.ca%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D180486280201%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
doonboggle

1981 Rabbit pickup; 1.6L diesel
2006 Jetta TDI
1971 VW Karman Ghia convertible