Author Topic: Anyone ever try these coilovers?  (Read 6151 times)

March 29, 2010, 07:51:09 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Anyone ever try these coilovers?
« on: March 29, 2010, 07:51:09 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COIL-OVER-COILOVER-VW-GOLF-RABBIT-MK1-ADJUSTABLE-SUSP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f1a96eb0QQitemZ300407156400QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I don't know anything about coilovers except that they must be the way to go. I'm getting tired of bouncing off the bump stops so I thought I'd go coilover and see if it helps. I was thinkin' bilstein HD's with stock springs but I'd need new front springs too but I don't want anything like a stock ride.

So has anybody used these? If not then do they appear to be good quality?

It says in the ad that it can be raised or lowered from 20mm to 120mm. Does that mean it can go from 20mm higher than stock to 120mm lower than stock?

Where I live I can't be lowering it but I would like a much firmer ride......and raising it would be cool!!!!

Thanks

'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #1March 29, 2010, 08:40:33 pm

Runt

• Junior

Re: Anyone ever try these coilovers?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 08:40:33 pm »
If you try them, let us know what you find.  I've looked at them a few times, but I have two issues, first I figured 20-120 meant that the highest position was lowered 20mm, and I really dont want to buy coilovers for adjustability but be stuck with lowering.  I will probably run 30mm lowered or so most of the time, but there are times that I really want, if not need, full height. Ever seen a mexican speed bump?  Often they have two 8" bumps, 2-3 feet apart.  I dragged quite a few times in my stock small bumper 91 with stock tires.  195/75 14s got me enough clearance to be comfortable, but I don't know how I'll make out in the big bumper car even at stock height.  Second, I am looking for an improvement in spring rate (stiffer) for handling, and I cant make sense of their spring rate as advertised, plus I can see that they are running the semi-progressive two spring setup, and I am not interested in having the first inch or two being soft, as it's the first inch or two of roll that I'm trying to correct.  I like my cars to ride almost like a go-cart, that is what suits my comfort and driving style. 
One DD 92 Jetta, One 91 Collision write-off, and One 92 rust free shell, beautiful, stripped, waiting for diesel-ization.

Reply #2March 29, 2010, 09:51:22 pm

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:51:22 pm »
I don't really like to cheap out on suspension parts so I'd try to find a good used set or at least buy weitecs or jom for only a couple hundred dollars more and get a known commodity.

Reply #3March 30, 2010, 12:15:44 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 12:15:44 am »
I'm so ignorant about coilovers.

I know the main thing is people use 'em for lowering the car, so the ads never say anything about if they can be set at stock height or not ??? They go on and on about how low they'll drop.........

The last thing I want to do is buy a set, find out they won't go high enough and have to send 'em back paying shipping both ways :(.

'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #4March 30, 2010, 04:23:28 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 04:23:28 pm »
Everything I read sounds like coilovers can only sit lower than stock so I either have to lower it an inch and live with it or I'm going to buy bilsteins and call it done

So I go to partsgeek.com and price struts, shocks, and front springs. ouch.

Comes out to $600.50, without the springs it's $477. There's no way I'm spending that much......until what I've got goes bad ::). That's the best deal I can find :(

Reply #5March 30, 2010, 06:55:48 pm

Runt

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 06:55:48 pm »
Yup, I've found the same thing with coilovers in general.  Or at least cheap ones.  Also the same thing with strut prices.  Even Monroes were going to run me more than those coilovers, and almost what I can get the JOM's for.  I broke down and picked up a used (nearly junk) RPI sprins and struts, for $150.  I'll slam them in to stiffen things for now, and so I can get it aligned and not destroy tires.  (I just swapped spindles, etc.)
Good luck in your search.
One DD 92 Jetta, One 91 Collision write-off, and One 92 rust free shell, beautiful, stripped, waiting for diesel-ization.

Reply #6March 30, 2010, 10:16:27 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 10:16:27 pm »
I did some emailing and here's the replies about JOM and Raceland coilovers:

Thank you for your interest in Raceland products,

These coilovers will sit lower then stock at highest adjustment and will not be able to be stock height again.  If you have any other questions please let us know.

Thank you,

Raceland USA

Minimum lowering on the JOM Coilover Suspension Kit - VW Mk1 is 1" or 25mm which is barely noticeable if you are trying to retain a stock looking Mk1.

Thanks,

BFI CS

I just noticed today that sitting at the stock height (at least I think it's stock) the front is only about 1 inch off the bump stops ::),  that would be why it feels like it bottoms out so easy.

Reply #7March 30, 2010, 10:22:13 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 10:22:13 pm »
yeah, the stock suspension does not leave much room for travel, my old saggy springs(stock) had me sitting on the bumps all the time.

the JOM and raceland coils will put you at right about the same height spun all the way up.

which is about 1" lower than stock, which is usually where the car sits with old worn out springs anyway.
and will put your control arms just above horizontal, which is as low as you really want to go anyway(lower than that and the car starts to handle like a bag of onions on a roller skate)

I will be getting a set of Rokkor(just like the raceland, but stiffer spring rate) coils for my MK2 in the fall, cheaper than new stock struts/shocks and springs.

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #8March 30, 2010, 10:26:21 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 10:26:21 pm »
I am at the same spot. I hit a bump today and rubbed under my seat. These aren't pot holes they are full sized bumps that sometimes are about the length of a full size pickup with a longbed with pot holes in them. I started my thread as I am always replacing suspension parts as the road here stinks. Not all are that bad obviously, but the roads I need to travel for work sometimes are. I can't slam a car and take it down a county road around here and expect most of the underside of the car to be there. A 1" lift would be better for me.
I would like to know if any other brands besides the PSS9/10 bilsteins offer a higher ride as I don't have the extra 2,000 to spend on them ;)

Reply #9March 31, 2010, 04:07:43 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 04:07:43 am »
Thanks truckinwagen, that's about what I wanted to hear, the height it sits at now is fine I was just afraid I'd drop a few hundred on some coils and promptly scrape the bottom off.
From looking on ebay and the vortex I did figure out about the about the rokker/raceland thing and wasn't sure if I wanted the stiffer ones or not, maybe you should hurry and buy some so you can let me know how they ride :D.

I saw on the raceland website they have upper and lower strut braces but they look like absolute junk.......

Sometimes I wish I was rich and could buy $2000 bilsteins, sway bars, nice wheels, a paint job, new windshield, fix all the rust spots/holes, new door seals nice seats bla bla.......but what fun would that be? ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:10:13 am by rabbitman »

Reply #10March 31, 2010, 09:29:40 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 09:29:40 am »
Something I also want to know is do MKIII suspension part fit MKII? There seem to be more stuff for sale that is MKIII, but some companies have the same part number for the 2 platforms. Would make shopping a little easier if we knew.

Reply #11March 31, 2010, 01:26:59 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 01:26:59 pm »
yep, mk2 and mk3 use the same shocks and struts.

the track width is different, so all the other bits(control arms, steering knuckles, axles, etc...) dont, but the shocks and struts do.
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #12March 31, 2010, 04:08:25 pm

ShoulderMan

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 04:08:25 pm »
I have the german JOM shocks on my 86 golf, i had them all set at 30 threads up form the bottom , dropped the body down a good 3-4 inches. Its hard to get a jack of anykind under there now.
  never bottomed out while driving.  ride is compairable to an M3 or a truck,  just a little stiffer. 
  I have a(unusually) high curb while pulling into my driveway,  everyonce and a while when im front heavy, ill scrape a little metal on the front frame (also always scrape the bumper on the M3)
 I would assume (and we all know what happens when one assumes) that the closer to stock setting you keep it, the less stiff it should be,   also give it a month or so to break in, cause they are stiff when you first run them.

Reply #13March 31, 2010, 04:35:38 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 04:35:38 pm »
I have the german JOM shocks on my 86 golf, i had them all set at 30 threads up form the bottom , dropped the body down a good 3-4 inches. Its hard to get a jack of anykind under there now.
  never bottomed out while driving.  ride is compairable to an M3 or a truck,  just a little stiffer. 
  I have a(unusually) high curb while pulling into my driveway,  everyonce and a while when im front heavy, ill scrape a little metal on the front frame (also always scrape the bumper on the M3)
 I would assume (and we all know what happens when one assumes) that the closer to stock setting you keep it, the less stiff it should be,   also give it a month or so to break in, cause they are stiff when you first run them.

Have you ever checked how high they go........yeah dumb question ::)

Reply #14March 31, 2010, 07:57:56 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
Lowering strut cap's
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 07:57:56 pm »
Nice strut cap's here :oldskoolvw.com

Gee-Bee
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo