Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Antique Auto Insurance?  (Read 5743 times)

March 29, 2010, 01:51:30 pm

8v-of-fury

Antique Auto Insurance?
« on: March 29, 2010, 01:51:30 pm »
So after 5 years of owning and never driving it legally ;)... I want to get my '67 Cougar on the road this year. However all the policies i look at are completely asinine.

MUST have 10 years with a G license
MUST be stored in a locked private garage
MUST not be used for anything other than going to mechanics and shows.

Like really? I've had my G for a little under a year.. I'm screwed..

I asked them for shiggles what it would be to register it as my daily, and it came in at only $200 more a year then my 76hp Jetta  ??? I'm sorry I guess 4 doors and an engine under 80hp is more of a terror on the road then a 20 y.o behind the wheel of this:

Anybody got any suggestions of what I should consider here? Maybe register it under my mom and have me as a secondary?

also, I love the new morale around here with a ton of new posts :) Glad Marc got the spam worked out, was gettin a little boring lol.

Reply #1March 29, 2010, 04:36:58 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: Antique Auto Insurance?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 04:36:58 pm »
Insurance is always a rip off, and if you do get in a wreck they'll try getting out of it......

If you really want to drive it just call it your DD and pay the extra $200, or just hang on to it until you're richer.......
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #2March 29, 2010, 04:39:31 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 04:39:31 pm »
If you really want to drive it just call it your DD and pay the extra $200

Well it would be easy if it were only an extra $200.. its $200 more then what i pay to DD my Jetta.. but that rings in at $3700/y.. so to drive it maybe once a month... lmao I'm gonna see if my mom can't register it as a classic in her name.

Reply #3March 29, 2010, 04:51:19 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 04:51:19 pm »
Insurance is an asinine concept in general, IMO.

I pay much more for insurance on my '85 Golf than my big Jeep which makes me wonder how they calculate these premiums. I should mention that this is for civil liability insurance only. My way of looking at things is that if I break my car it's my money to fix it, if someone else does, it's theirs.

That amount seems really high though. I don't know what difference being in Canada makes (if any) but my insurance is based on stated miles driven and usually they have a very low premium if you drive a car less than 5000 miles per year even if you don't try to claim it's a collectible vehicle. Perhaps you could risk getting liability-only insurance if you only drive it once a week, only on Sunday mornings.

Incidentally I pay around $800/year for everything IIRC. My insurance has been about the same amount since I first got my license 11 years ago, it hasn't gone down but the cost of everything else has gone up.

Reply #4March 29, 2010, 07:21:13 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 07:21:13 pm »
Insurance is an asinine concept in general, IMO.

AMEN..

The most expensive vehicle I have on my policy at to moment is the Rabbit..  Actually to date it has been MK1 VW diesels have been the most expensive vehicles for me to insure.. That is versus the K2500, Caprice Wagon, A v8 T-bird and Mustang, big block Buicks, Olds, Lincolns, Crown Vic Police Interceptors, and on and on..

Although I only have liability, Pennsylvania does require some first party coverage such as accidental death and medical..  Upon asking me agent why the VW's cost more it's these first party benefits that make the difference..   If I crash the VW chances are I'm more likely to be injured or killed than in say a Buick Electra..  Passengers fall under the liability so it's a tad higher as a passenger stands a higher risk riding in a motorized Billy Beer can than a land yacht..

Jeremy, not sure how insurance works up there but you may want to check on the min age to operate a classic/antique vehicle..  Some states down here require one to be 21 - 25 years old to do so..

Reply #5March 29, 2010, 07:40:44 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 07:40:44 pm »
As your neighbor down south...
     We have a thing that you can "bond" a vehicle. It is like insurance, but different. You put up so much money and get so much coverage. I don't know too much about it other than I had a friend do it with his 67 camaro. Something to check into?

Reply #6March 29, 2010, 07:52:22 pm

79rabbit4dr

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 07:52:22 pm »
yeah, my '81 diesel rabbit was more to insure than my '01 audi allroad.

I'm pretty sure they base it off of how likely you are to get hurt in the accident instead of any sort of value on the car. Since the audi has side airbags etc they're less likely to have to shell out thousands in medical bills than if I get hit in my rabbit with no airbags... that's what I understood when I laughed at my insurance broker in the face when he told me the price on each.

go figure  ::)

Reply #7March 29, 2010, 07:54:46 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 07:54:46 pm »
They should consider how gutless slow these things are ::), of course you'd need to keep it a secret if it had a turbo and stuff........
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #8March 30, 2010, 02:15:39 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 02:15:39 am »
The gutless slow may make it worse..  Ya know, unable to get out of the way of soccer mom in here speeding crossover...

Reply #9March 30, 2010, 06:18:27 am

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 06:18:27 am »
THe huge cost he's paying now is actually not too bad for up here. I'm assuming he's a young unmarried male.......... three ways to reduce the insurance bill up here.
1) approved driver's ed course.
2) have lots of experience (read:time as a licenced/insured driver) with no accidents
3)get married
:D

Reply #10March 30, 2010, 07:11:34 am

ein bora

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 07:11:34 am »
After five year's working on my project, I had to get it appraised before the insurance company would even consider giving me any kind of adequate coverage on it. The appraisal came in just short of three figures which was considerably less than what I have into it. But still the insurance premium was based on the appraised value and not the book value which is what one wants in the event of an accident. Although the premiums are high on this one compared to my other vehicles, I'd rather pay the higher premiums than have a devastation and be under insured. I have it insured for the months I potentially may drive it, and have the insurance suspended to only fire and theft for the remainder of the year - which helps to keep the costs down.

If I'm not building or working on Volkswagens, it's mopars or no-cars for me!

If you can't take advice - then you can't be helped!

Reply #11March 30, 2010, 11:10:09 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 11:10:09 am »
dayyyyyyyyyum, if my car were worth 3 figures i'd want good insurance too...

the cougar isn't worth more than 2100 to me, which is what i paid for it lol.

Reply #12March 30, 2010, 12:04:48 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 12:04:48 pm »

thats because its a ford. if that thing had a fire breathing big block chevy under the hood it would be worth more.

built ford tough with chevy stuff!

Reply #13March 30, 2010, 12:40:10 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 12:40:10 pm »
Do you have any tickets or anything? 3700 seems way too high, although insurance has gone through the roof in the past 2-3 years.

When I was 18 driving my diesel rabbit I was paying $170/mo up in North Bay. Oddly I pay the same for my 89 TD Jetta down in Scarborough 6 years later.  ::)

You should try Desjardins or Pilot insurance.
Tyler

Reply #14March 30, 2010, 01:53:01 pm

catlin_cava

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 01:53:01 pm »

thats because its a ford. if that thing had a fire breathing big block chevy under the hood it would be worth more.

built ford tough with chevy stuff!

Is that all you ever think is chevy chevy chevy?
Catlin

2012 VW Golf 2.5 5speed Deep Black Pearl
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI Bosch .216mm injectors and Malone stage 2, soon 11mm pump and vnt 22(parked for the winter)
2010 VW Golf City 2.0L "Hers"