Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Slipping clutch  (Read 4235 times)

March 28, 2010, 02:54:26 pm

Eivind

Slipping clutch
« on: March 28, 2010, 02:54:26 pm »
Hello.
A while ago the diff in my 020 gearbox failed and made a hole from the difff housing and into the clutch housing spraying oil on my clutch and made it slip allmost constantly.
I have replaced the gearbox now, but the clutch is still slipping in 4th and 5th when its boosting more then 1bar.
So I think I have  "glazed" the pressureplate  :(
Is there any hope that it will fix itself over time or can I just throw it away and put in a new one?

AAZ powered 91 GTD

Reply #1March 28, 2010, 03:59:24 pm

Henchman

• Junior

Re: Slipping clutch
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 03:59:24 pm »
I guess the real question is why you didn't replace the clutch while you were in there?  Slipping clutches don't get better, just worse.  The friction disc is so porous that if it did get contaminated with oil, it's done.

Ian
Under way - 1991 Passat Syncro Wagon w/m-tdi

1991 Passat GL Wagon w/AAZ conversion (now using engine/tranny from 1993 Passat

1993 Passat GL 1.9 Diesel (RIP 385k km, engine, tranny, clutch all original)

Reply #2March 28, 2010, 06:23:48 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 06:23:48 pm »
If you need to buy a little time there is one trick the old timers would do to baby an oily clutch by on old tractors and such....   Corn Starch..  They'd dump some in the access panel above the clutch (The hole for the timing mark on a VW) It would draw some oil out of the clutch and get them buy in a pinch..   However is makes on heck of a mess in there..  I tried it on one of my Vw's that had a trans seal ailing and got over filled with fluid..   It did help..   But ultimately, you need a new clutch...

Reply #3March 29, 2010, 05:32:04 am

Eivind

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 05:32:04 am »
Oh snap! Was hoping I wouldn`t have to pull the gearbox down again, but I guess there is no other option then..
Why I didn`t raplace it in the first plase I honestly dont know ::)
Corn starch huh!? haha, thanks for the tip, but I think ill just replace it since I have a spare one.

Then to the next question: the clutch that is slipping and the spare one also is 210mm, how much torque do the stock 210mm clutches handle?
AAZ powered 91 GTD

Reply #4March 29, 2010, 06:18:58 am

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 06:18:58 am »
I've got a stock 210 clutch on an AAZ, no mufflers, LDA pin from a 1.6, fuel screw cranked in about 1/2 turn. Upped the boost a hair. Turned the flywheel for a fresh surface when we had it apart (and cut about 4 pounds off too). Doesn't slip at all.

Reply #5March 29, 2010, 06:59:15 am

Eivind

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 06:59:15 am »
simular setup as me, but I have stock exhaust and run a t3, palnning on buildin 3"dp and 2,5" from dp and back with a small muffler.
Guess ill try the clutch I have, and if that it turns out to be slipping as well buy a better performance clutch of some kind.
Is the lightened flywheel worth doing or does it not make a difference? Did you have to ballance it in any way?
AAZ powered 91 GTD

Reply #6March 29, 2010, 11:03:32 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 11:03:32 pm »
If a clutch that won't slip is an issue (and, of course it IS!), make sure you go ahead and have the flywheel milled flat so that the clutch will have the best possible chance of doing a good job.

Remember, you must remove the equal amount (depth) of material in both places on the flywheel so that the clutch will be able to adjust properly....I'm surprised no one is stressing that to you.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #7March 30, 2010, 06:34:11 am

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 06:34:11 am »
He's right, make sure you take measurements before you start and match it it up when you're done  . (pressure plate does NOT mount on the same surface as the disc). made that mistake once and had a brand new clutch slipping. Light flyweel helps it rev easier, but you lose a little on the initial torque. I like it, some guys don't.

Reply #8March 31, 2010, 12:18:42 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 12:18:42 am »
Yeah, I think/believe this is the reason there is an endless supply of guys on this forum who are constantly wanting to install D-9 Cat clutches in these little cars. Anyway, just my take.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #9March 31, 2010, 02:10:00 am

Eivind

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 02:10:00 am »
I have a spare flywheel from a parts car, so I guess I can try milling that first.
It`s offcourse its the clutch disc that is "glazed" not the pressureplate.
But i`ve noticed that it`s only slipping when its hot, when its cold it`s ok is that just because the oily clutch is not that slippery when cold or could it be a symptom for something else?
Sorry for the noob questions, but I never had to change or do anything with the clutches in my previous cars so I really have no idea :P
AAZ powered 91 GTD

Reply #10March 31, 2010, 02:13:06 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 02:13:06 am »
When you get the disc heated up chances are all the oil that has soaked into it thins and starts to work it's way out to the surface...

Reply #11March 31, 2010, 11:29:24 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 11:29:24 am »
simular setup as me, but I have stock exhaust and run a t3, palnning on buildin 3"dp and 2,5" from dp and back with a small muffler.
Guess ill try the clutch I have, and if that it turns out to be slipping as well buy a better performance clutch of some kind.
Is the lightened flywheel worth doing or does it not make a difference? Did you have to ballance it in any way?

if you dont cut off any lightening holes, then it should still be balanced. if you g oand cut the big ring off thats in front of the gear, usually you can get away with it unless you have a cheap mexican flywheel, they dont give such good results.

Reply #12March 31, 2010, 06:04:46 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 06:04:46 pm »

I didn't do any balancing, but when I cut the ring I quit cutting before I got to the cuts that were made to balance it.

Reply #13April 01, 2010, 02:35:24 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 02:35:24 pm »

I didn't do any balancing, but when I cut the ring I quit cutting before I got to the cuts that were made to balance it.

very good, that is what i was talking about, that way its still balanced, just alot lighter.

S-PAutomotive.com