S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Stock Tachometer in 89 Fox...  (Read 3182 times)

March 23, 2010, 08:39:52 am

warp.routine

Stock Tachometer in 89 Fox...
« on: March 23, 2010, 08:39:52 am »
Hi all! I recently installed a new stock cluster for my Fox containing a tachometer (my little vulpine came with a clock). I am having some trouble figuring out how to hook the sucker up to the engine speed sendor on my VW Quantum 5spd transmission. (...ok, im totally at wits end). My lovely service manual gives me a difficult but readable electrical diagram which states that the tach gets it's input from the sensor and leads out to a ground... so I imagine that the other side of the sensor should be connected to a hot source, either directly or through a controlled hot from the dash.

I have tried every possible combination to no avail, I can't get the tach to dance for me even when trying to test a straight 12v to any of the free wires under the hood from the old gasser motor that used to be in there. Does anyone know how I can test the tachometer sans sensor? I would like to 1)make sure it even works and 2)figure out if I have a bad sensor or not.

Any information on how this system works would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Reply #1March 23, 2010, 08:50:44 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Stock Tachometer in 89 Fox...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:50:44 am »
On the diesel models you hook it up to the W terminal on the alternator.

I haven't ever had a tach so I don't know where or how, but figured I would reply. From reading *search and see* I know that the W terminal sends your signal to make the tach move. Not all alts had a W, but all can be made to have a W.

Reply #2March 31, 2010, 11:43:10 am

Rabbit on Roids

Re: Stock Tachometer in 89 Fox...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 11:43:10 am »
On the diesel models you hook it up to the W terminal on the alternator.

I haven't ever had a tach so I don't know where or how, but figured I would reply. From reading *search and see* I know that the W terminal sends your signal to make the tach move. Not all alts had a W, but all can be made to have a W.

you can not make a stock tach work with a diesel, no matter how hard you try. and hooking it up to that engine speed sensor probably wont be plug and play either. i dont know why they would not take the tach signal off the ignition system, rather than a sensor. just mod your tach to work with the W term on the alt.