Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.9 IDI XUD, Problem since rebuild....  (Read 4212 times)

March 19, 2010, 06:57:42 am

darrenjlobb

• Junior

1.9 IDI XUD, Problem since rebuild....
« on: March 19, 2010, 06:57:42 am »
Right guys....

Let me start from the beginning, i own a 1.9TD peugeot 306 (yes its french, but I love it....)...

Now im a bit of a dervhead, and enjoy pushing it quite far in the power department...this was all well and good, until it decided to let go of a conrod last year, and resulted in a fair mess!

So over the last few months, Ive fully rebuilt a new engine, with stronger rods, new shells and rings, etcetc, i also had the compression dropped slightly by skimming the pistons....

Now, to give a rough idea of some of the other aftermarket parts, the basic setup is as follows:

Modified Bosch VE (11mm head, grinded advance piston and shimmed main spring on the gov)
Hybrid T25 turbo (will make 35psi happily if you want it)
Piper high lift cam with vernier dialed in
ARP head studs
Steel head gasket
Straight 2.5" turbo back exhaust
Custom front mounted intercooler
Aftermarket "pipercross" air filter
HDI gearbox

So that's what i effectively have under the bonnet, but since the rebuild ive been having problems....

Basically, if I try and give it any more than 1cm of throttle, it holds back, and makes a funny noise, that ive never heard, you can hear it from the exhaust, sort of sounds like a misfire noise...starts rumbling / farting out the exhaust , and if you lift off a bit, it goes away and accelerates fairly normally...although im sure it could go better... it just seems if i try and give it throttle it gets annoyed..

Now i did have a grinded LDA pin, which i have replaced for a stock one, which has slightly improved it, and the more i back off the maxfuel screw, the better it gets, but then this is effectively just doing the same as not planting my foot so far, but i need the fuel...its burning every inch of what you give it before it makes the funny noise...

I tried changing the injectors, which made no difference, so i then build another injector pump, totally different donor pump, and totally different 11mm head, and i re sealed the pump while i was at it, and this one does EXACTLY the same...i even tried upping the internal pressure, which has just made it clatter at mid range, so will have to remove it and drop it again....

Has anyone ever come across this before? Would fuel starvation cause it to be so instant, it really does go flat / make the noise the SECOND you push the pedal down, there isnt any delay at all....

Only part of the pump thats been the same throughout are the delivery valves, but they were fine months ago before it popped a conrod...

Any ideas greatly welcome!

Thanks!

Reply #1March 19, 2010, 07:12:21 am

darrenjlobb

• Junior

Re: 1.9 IDI XUD, Problem since rebuild....
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 07:12:21 am »
Sorry ive just realised ive posted this in the IDI section and meant to put it in the non vw section...could someone move it? Apologies!

Reply #2March 19, 2010, 11:05:17 am

anto

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 11:05:17 am »
You might have been better keeping it in the idi section Darren, alot more activity in there and more likely to be seen.
It is an idi after all, all be it not a veedub.

Reply #3March 19, 2010, 11:21:43 am

darrenjlobb

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 11:21:43 am »
hm someone want to move it back? heh

Reply #4June 05, 2010, 03:05:43 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 03:05:43 pm »
Hmm....I usually love trying to work out things like this.
The only thing that I can think is the compresser is stalling surging, but if it is instant, maybe not. Easy to check with a boost guage.
Gasses leaking back into the injection lines? but new injectors, Hmmm..........

Good Luck. ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 03:11:57 pm by smutts »

Fixmyvw.com