Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Tdi hovercraft!  (Read 2050 times)

March 18, 2010, 09:28:44 pm

blackdogvan

• Veteran

Tdi hovercraft!
« on: March 18, 2010, 09:28:44 pm »

1991 Vanagon 1.9 mTDI

Reply #1March 19, 2010, 04:31:59 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: Tdi hovercraft!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 04:31:59 am »
Yeah we built one a few years ago, took about 5 years of on and off pickin' at it.

Ours is 14ft long, 18hp honda v-twin and I think can haul about 450lbs max. It's kind of a pain when it's sitting (they float) in deep water and you try to go the lift fan pushes the water underneath down, making a nice little "bowl". So then you gotta have enough thrust to push the craft up out of the "bowl", the more weight in it the harder it is to get going, then once it's up and going the bowl can't keep up so it's easy to keep going unless you have a headwind and not enough thrust.

Steering is a pain since there's no banking/pushing off the water to steer, instead you turn it 'til it's pointing sideways and then hit the gas and use the thrust to push it around the corner.

Random thoughts: Ours needs at least 25hp, lakes are much more relaxing than rivers ::), trees are hard on the prop :(, never chop throttle when traveling sideways. If possible build one big enough to put a diesel into.....surprisingly, the thought has never crossed my mind until now ;D
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Fixmyvw.com